Tetris Attack is a yoshi's crew tetris game which is quite different from the classic one, and particularly, one of my favorites SNES games XD
-
Snes9X v1.43+ imp7 replay settings:
   * WIP1 timing
   * Allow Left+Right / Up+Down 
-
Game settings:
   * 1 Player Game
   * Endless
   * 99 Speed lvl (max)
   * Hard Game lvl (max) 
-
Objectives:
   * Archieve the maximum points ( 99.999 ) in the lowest time possible 
-
Improvement over the previously published movie:
   * Played at higher speed lvl ( 1 against 99 )
   * 2983 frames = 59.54 seconds = 29.4% faster ( European = 50.1 fps )
-
Well, as you can see, this is just a good improvement over the lezard published movie, I've used techiniques to archieve 13x combo faster than him. Why do not surpass 13x? Because it doesnt give worthy points XP
Thanks to nesrocks for helping with some emulator issues, and special thanks to shii who gave me perseverance to finish this movie^^ luv ya =*
dls4e ~

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #848: daniayaw's SNES Tetris Attack in 02:22.82
Skilled player (1885)
Of course I'm voting YES this time too :) You already know what I think of this movie, so once again, great job.
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1300)
This has some problems that should be fixed: - You waste a whole 105 frames before starting the game (a lot of it is waiting after you select your character instead of pressing A again) - You don't move the in-game cursor with frame precision. For the most part this is just a style thing, but in some parts (like the very beginning) it actually slows you down because it makes you wait longer before scrolling up new pieces - You should make it go to the congratulations screen quickly at the end before ending the movie (This is just my opinion but I think it'll look stupid in the AVI if you don't) - You should turn ON volume envelope height reading in this game because some of the music sound really bad otherwise - I would switch to using the U.S. ROM even if the previous run used European, since NTSC with its 60 FPS is usually considered better than PAL
As for now, I'd say yes (though I cannot vote yet for some reason) but there are definitely some issues.
Former player
I didnt understand what u mean to say with the cursor thing ô.o well i moved sometimes to prepare things, like in the beginning to adjust the vertical pieces so i can scroll one more line later.. and well.. about changing the rom version, i just dont dared to go against a rule.. is there some way to change the volume envelope height reading option without remake everything? EDIT: indeed there is some frame savings before the game begin.. but.. if i fix this i would have to remake everything.. and in this case i would not bring a new submission so soon.. i.i there is some way to hex-edit this easily? (sorry for poor english i.i)
<small>My big signature was cleared by admin; i should read <a href="http://tasvideos.org/ForumRules.html">forum rules</a>. But... who does?</small>
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
Probably hex-editing it would mean different pieces layout, which wouldn't work. I think the "errors" pointed out don't affect gameplay, but this is so much faster than the current movie, i don't know what to say.
Player (70)
I liked the movie, even though the misses nitsuja mentioned. I didn't check them my self really. You got a YES from me.
To clarify: I think it should be published if daniayaw isn't willing to improve it, but I would much rather see this improved and then published if that won't take too long. (It's a very short movie with a very low re-record count so it doesn't seem like it should take all that long to me.) And about moving the cursor with frame precision, I meant, you didn't use frame advance to move the cursor on the earliest possible frame, you can move it every 2 frames or so but it seems to be considerably slower than that in your movie. EDIT: and I just tested this, and found that if you act fast enough you can totally break a lot of the rules of this game, such as moving a piece where it would get a 3-in-a-row and then moving it or another piece again before it counts as a match, or putting a piece under part of a combo at exactly the right frame to make it count as a longer match, or splitting up a simultaneous combo while it lands to count as two separate combo increases and give more points, or (not useful if aiming for speed) switching blocks every single frame to totally pause upward movement and play as long as you want or delay combos indefinitely.
Former player
i used frame advance alot.. i didnt need to move every 2 frames in the beginning, it wasnt going to save me any time at all, because i was scrolling up since it has started.. so, if i didnt move the block in the very first frame possible, there's no problem since i was already scrolling up ô.o EDIT: and i know all those things that you put on "EDIT:" but the only worthy one is the simultaneos combo, which i used o.o EDIT2: i can move every frame if its, for example, down and right simultaneously.. and i moved every 2 frames alot, too.. but as i said, not all the times this is actually useful
<small>My big signature was cleared by admin; i should read <a href="http://tasvideos.org/ForumRules.html">forum rules</a>. But... who does?</small>
OK, I still think making the moves as fast as possible would more make it more impressive/superhuman looking even where it doesn't actually speed it up. At the beginning, I mistakenly thought you not scrolling was the cause of slowdown, when it was actually because of the dropping blocks causing the scrolling to stop. (I forgot to mention one neat thing: pulling blocks out while they're falling to cause a combo, it's not necessary but it's basically impossible to do reliably on console so it would be neat to include.) Here's a question: After you get the x13 and you do a few matches of 3, it looks like those matches each give tons of points (like 1800 or so), so wouldn't you max out the score faster by doing more of those? The first few chains you only get about 2 each, but later you're able to get 4 after them, so I would think getting 4-5 of them after every chain of 13 would be best...
Former player
yeah, that's why i minimize matching the "more than 3-in-a-row" during the combos.. but sometimes is hard to get more than 3 matches during the 13x combo explosion.. getting 5 during a 13x combo i think its pretty dificult, but ok.. im considering remaking this TAS.. i just want to know any things i can improve beforehand^^ ill plan this more carefully now.. EDIT: so, its ok by breakin the rule and doing this with the USA version instead? EDIT2: i've tried to time attack (no slow, no frame adv, no rere) the story mode in the hardest (trick hard: L + Up + ok), i died in the penultimate boss by moving some pieces mistakenly ;_;~~ i have not played this for a long while before getting to make this TAS, im a bit rusty now ;-; ill try again later.. o.o and well, i dont know why im saying this here XD maybe because u wanted a story mode run o.o but as i said, imho it's really not something defiant..
One more thing at the beginning (menu optimization stuff): when you scroll the difficulty meter to 99, you can do it faster by pressing right->R->right->R->right->R alternating for 99 frames starting earlier than usual, because just holding right has a delay before it starts moving the meter which is skipped if you move it 1 every frame. Also, it's fastest to hit Start to select your character, since A+A is 2 frames slower and A alone is many frames slower. And press Left instead of Right+Right to choose the Hard mode before that. I'd say use the US version, since there's no particular reason that the original run used the European one. (And I think the US ROM usually gives more control since there's 6/5 as many frames to work with.) About the story mode, I was just curious to see it, since even if the AI isn't too hard it'd be interesting to see their screen get flooded all the way up from massive combos. Maybe I'm wrong and it'd be boring, but I didn't think the Kirby's Avalanche one was that bad.
Player (70)
How long combos is it possible to make BTW? I would gladly see a run aiming for longest possible combo. :)
Highness wrote:
How long combos is it possible to make BTW? I would gladly see a run aiming for longest possible combo. :)
The verified WR is 23, the unverified WR is 24 and the game goes buggy after 13.
Former player
Ok.. ill be using US version.. and ill try this R,right trick later.. (I've tried again, just for fun^^: Story Mode - Hardest time attack rules: no slow / no pause / no frame adv / no rere.. there's no way i can prove it, but u can notice in it.. even because im really rusty ;P ) And ok.. i'll see if i can do a longest combo run too.. would it be more interesting? if im not wrong, i think i know a way to do more than 24 combo.. ^^ EDIT: whats wrong with that url tag?! ¬¬ well.. copy paste on your favorite browser
Player (70)
Delete the url tags and you'll be fine I think. Something has changed so you don't need them. (?) I enjoyed watching that 23 chain record. Is it possible to get more than 24?
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
Testy testy. Seems to work fine. Probably you checked the box which says "Disable BBCode in this post" by mistake.
Former player
no i didnt i.i and if i remove the url tag links only until the parenthesis, well anyway..
Experienced player (527)
nitsuja wrote:
About the story mode, I was just curious to see it, since even if the AI isn't too hard it'd be interesting to see their screen get flooded all the way up from massive combos. Maybe I'm wrong and it'd be boring, but I didn't think the Kirby's Avalanche one was that bad.
I tried it once before, the fastest way is to do a lot of combos early rather than x13's and such, and just enough to make the opponent lose (else the blocks are delayed more) ... I did the first 3 stages in Super Hard and won them in about 10 seconds each: http://acmlm.cjb.net:2/emu/snes/snes9x/smv1/Tetris%20Attack-1.smv The later stages would probably get even faster, because the CPU tends to scroll up more ...
Former player
well.. i really think story mode is boring.. because it will be this every round...
Acmlm wrote:
I tried it once before, the fastest way is to do a lot of combos early rather than x13's and such, and just enough to make the opponent lose (else the blocks are delayed more) ... I did the first 3 stages in Super Hard and won them in about 10 seconds each:
That was much faster than getting huge combos... maybe unfortunately. It was still pretty neat, but I guess a mode like endless going for the max score with x13 chains (and a similar amount of precision) would look more impressive, or at least contain more continuous action.
Experienced player (527)
Yeah, considering those fast 10 second wins are already possible with normal play (sometimes not even hard) and that it's mostly the same thing 12 times, it's not so interesting after the first few ... There's also Stage Clear (clear a certain amount of rows per stage at increasing difficulty, 6 sets of 5 = 30, then Bowser) and Puzzle (2x 6 sets of 10 = 120), but Endless is probably still better than both, just because the simple 99999 score goal is less repetitive and still enough to be impressive.
Former player
yeah.. stage clear and puzzle would be even boring imho... puzzle is already boring to play.. imagine to watch XD well.. im already working on my TAS.. im trying something really risky but i think it will be rewarding.. maybe i'll take some days, or maybe some weeks to finish because i need to study ;_; bibi =* (sorry for any grammar errors XP feel free to correct me, because i really need to learn those little things )
Former player
i give it up to do the 'risky thing' for now.. i'll be doing this when i have more time.. coming back to the endless one.. may I: - Finish the movie when i do the last move? - Finish the movie after the blocks reach to the top (helping with L or R)?
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
Help with L or R so that the movie is short as possible.