• FCEU
  • Uses no passwords
  • Manipulates luck (enemy movement)
"Your mission: Save the captured princess Lala from the Great Devils evil empire!!! You are the only one who can save Lala."
By collecting every heartpiece in the room a treasure chest opens with a pearl inside. If you collect this pearl a door will open and you advance to the next level. This game contains 50 of these levels.
My fifth submission of this game... I was pretty happy with the previous version of my movie, but right after I submitted it, BagOfMagicFood pointed out two levels that could be slightly improved. I always felt like improving them some day, but I didn't want to write in the submission form: "two improvements, both thanks to BagOfMagicFood".
Randil and BagofMagicFood both started speedrunning Lolo2 recently, which gave me back inspiration to redo my Lolo1 run.
The total improvement of this version is 305 frames, which is about 5.1 seconds. Here is a list of levels that are played faster in this version:
1-2: saved 48 frames
1-3: saved 128 frames
2-1: saved 62 frames (thanks to BagOfMagicFood)
3-1: saved 31 frames (thanks to BagOfMagicFood)
3-3: saved 1 frame
4-2: saved 1 frame
6-5: saved 1 frame
7-1: saved 31 frames
Those who actually counted all frames will notice that the movie is 2 frames faster than accounted for in this list. This is due to the fact that the length of the black screen is sometimes a frame longer, and sometimes a frame shorter. It's completely random and cannot be influenced. In this version I lost 4 frames due to this in different levels, and saved 6 frames, in six other levels. There 2 frames added make a total improvement of 305 frames.
I also took some different, equally fast, routes in some levels, and I tried to avoid the feeling of having to wait for some things.
Also pretty nice: the 5 extra frames saved make the difference between displaying 23:18 and 23:17.
Again, I'm happy with this improvement... it's more than I thought it would be when I started this run. I truly hope this will be my last version of this game... I do have a good feeling about this one :P
Please enjoy,
Baxter

Bisqwit: It's an improvement over movie 238? Accepting.
Bisqwit: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #851: Baxter's NES Adventures of Lolo in 23:17.47
Editor, Active player (296)
Lolo has been bubbling back to the surface lately. Any reason for this trend? :)
Skilled player (1402)
From my submission text:
I was pretty happy with the previous version of my movie, but right after I submitted it, BagOfMagicFood pointed out two levels that could be slightly improved. I always felt like improving them some day
Randil and BagofMagicFood both started speedrunning Lolo2 recently, which gave me back inspiration to redo my Lolo1 run.
Which also helped me greatly with actually finishing this movie is the fact that I made some major improvements on 2 of the first levels.
Skilled player (1885)
Nice, a new Lolo1 run! :) Unfortunately, my internet connectin at home is for some reason broken, but I'll watch this for sure when I get it fixed. I have a feeling that I'll vote YES for this though, seeing how good your previous movie was. I'm glad I helped getting your motivation back, and I'm also glad that you've motivated me to finish my run. :)
Skilled player (1402)
Thx Randil, I hope you'll be able to watch it soon. Some notes on the improvements: For all improvements it's noticable the actual amount of frames saved is close to a multiple of 16. Lolo spends 8 frames walking half of a square, and 16 frames walking a whole square (you should think about why an improvement in a level can never be a half square). Levels 1-2 and 1-3 are improved by a multiple of 16, so no further notes. Level 2-1 is improved by 62 frames, I lost 2 frames by manipulating the enemies movement, but saved 4 squares (4*16-2=62). In level 3-1 I am 2 squares faster, but lose a frame by having to shoot the snakey again (this second shot saves the 2 squares, so this is 2*16-1=31 frames faster). At 3-3 I used a strategy that involved shooting enemies, instead of freezing them, manipulating their movements costs 1 frame less this way. 4-2 and 6-5 are both a frame faster since I plan the shooting of the snakey's better. The route in 7-1 is 2 squares faster, but I lose a frame for having to shoot the enemy.
Skilled player (1885)
I just got my internetconnection to work again now, so I've watched this movie. And to put things short, this is a YES vote, very YES :). Great job there, Baxter!
Very well done. That's a pretty hard game to be beaten that easily.
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
Good job! Improving Lolo must be hard since it's up to frames to make it faster. I'm quite amazed that you could improve it 14 seconds (correct me if I'm wrong). Voting YES.
Which run should I encode next? :)
Skilled player (1402)
Thanks! I think you missed my last version, this is the fifth version I submitted: 24:25 23:53 23:31 (first submission that was published) 23:23 23:17 (this submission) So this version is a little over 5 seconds better than the last, but it's probably about 14 seconds faster than the last movie you have seen.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [463] NES Adventures of Lolo by Baxter in 23:17.47