Submission Text Full Submission Page
Failure: Silver key is NOT needed to finish this game.
Comments: I think that there are still a lot of improvement locations. I think that it surely becomes reference in the future.
Sorry,this movie is "vmv file(VirtuaNES)". Required VirtuaNES version 0.92

Bisqwit: Tidied the markup a bit. To anyone wondering, this VirtuaNES movie was submitted on my permission, making an exception from the rules.

Truncated: I am unable to view this submission, but judging from the comments there is no reason why this movie should be published. The author has already listed 8 minutes of possible improvements. Therefore, rejectifided.

Post subject: #854: choco-mint's NES Dragon Quest 2 (J) in 59:15.57
Active player (274)
This is an automatically posted message for discussing submission: #854: choco-mint's NES Dragon Quest 2 (J) in 59:15.57 See details at: <a href="/854S.html">http://tasvideos.org/854S.html</a> Download submission here: <a href="/submissions/854.zip">http://tasvideos.org/submissions/854.zip</a> Submission status: decision: rejected Last edited by: adelikat
The submission message follows: <blockquote class="quote">Failure: Silver key is NOT needed to finish this game. <p/>Comments: I think that there are still a lot of improvement locations. I think that it surely becomes reference in the future. <p/>Sorry,this movie is "vmv file(VirtuaNES)". Required VirtuaNES version 0.92 <p/>
<a href="//tasvideos.org/Bisqwit.html">Bisqwit</a>: Tidied the markup a bit. To anyone wondering, this VirtuaNES movie was submitted on my permission, making an exception from the <a href="//tasvideos.org/MovieRules.html">rules</a>.
<a href="//tasvideos.org/Truncated.html">Truncated</a>: I am unable to view this submission, but judging from the comments there is no reason why this movie should be published. The author has already listed 8 minutes of possible improvements. Therefore, rejectifided. </blockquote>
Note: When writing something that affects the processing of this movie, please edit the submission instead of posting at the forum.
Editor, Active player (296)
Hmm... FCEU doesn't seem to like my copy of Dragon Quest 2 (J)...
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #854: choco-mint's NES Dragon Warrior II in 59:15.57
Former player
Same here, my DQ2 rom seems corrupted... I tried with FCEU, VirtuaNES, VirtuaNES (J): nothing.
Active player (410)
Dragon Quest (J) [a1].nes seems to work fine under VirtuaNES but not FCEU. It's probably the one for the movie I guess.
Active player (410)
I am voting no, because there's no GOOD dump that can play this movie fine. + even the author said it is imperfect.
Daah! Just watched this movie. While I don't think it's approval-worthy I do think there are a lot of interesting things in this video and with a couple of improvements this movie would be perfect. I also learned a lot about the way the game works in watching this movie. I, too, considered using the Japanese version (if for no other reason than skipping the long-ass intro), but dismissed the idea because the good dumps of the Japanese version of the game don't work at all in FCEU (incidentally, I used (J) [h1] to play the movie and it got all the way to the end). I think the overworld path is excellent, and if you tak out the silver key trek (I'd forgotten the gold key could open iron doors too) it's probably the fastest possible path. There's definitely some weirdness with the items that needs fixing (or I'm missing something) and I'm almost 100% sure that criticals can be manipulated. But this is an extremely promising plan-of-attack. FinalFighter, is your friend planning a round 2?
Nice to meet you, univbee! I am the player of Dragon Quest 2. Thank you for your watching my movie. There are other points which can be improved. First, prince of Cannock' alive is not need after getting the mirror. It is not necessary to be him back to life. Second, only two coupons are necessary in order to get throttle game’s item(wizard’s wand and wizard’s ring) >I'm almost 100% sure that criticals can be manipulated. Yes, you are right. Criticals can be manipulated, except for the last enemy. Another day, I will write the way which I planed from Lianport to the last. I am sorry that this movie can't be watched by fceu.
I mean, coupon is “Lottery Ticket”.
Active player (410)
[h1] = hacked game. Who knows what are the differences!? Maybe there's cheats in it.
Active player (277)
Maybe it was hacked to um... fix it for emulators? I don't know.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Active player (410)
I'd recommend doing Dragon warrior 2 instead since it's working well. For some reasons pretty few emulators can handle DQ2. + it's better in English.
I used the normal version. There is not cheat in it. >I'd recommend doing Dragon warrior 2 instead since it's working well. Indeed, I am regretting it... I didn’t have fceu and didn’t know Dragon Warrior when I made it. But I guess the technique used in Dragon Quest is able to be used in Dragon Warrior. I just want this movie to be good reference for a player making a better Dragon Warrior movie.
I have forgotten to say salutation. Nice to meet you, Phil!
Shingen
He/Him
I found a working DraQue 2, and watched this about halfway. FCEU says my nonworking AND my working one checksum is: 6aa061dc7d7e11042000261477475325 Am I permitted to post an IPS patch between the working one and nonworking one? Notes: I looked at both the working and nonworking.... and the only difference is like the first 10 bytes or so.
Active player (277)
shore
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Shingen
He/Him
Here's that aforementioned IPS patch, make sure your nonworking ROM matches as far as checksums go... http://rapidshare.de/files/6625352/draque2ips.zip.html
Skilled player (1885)
Some questions: If I understand correctly, you pick up this Silver Key in this movie though it wasn't needed. How much time do you think could be saved by skipping this item? I don't know if I'm getting all of this right, but was this recorded with a hacked ROM, and if so, do you know what's differs this hacked ROM from a good dump? And I'm not really good at DQ games, but I know that if you could get critical hit with every attack by manipulating luck, you should really do so I think, it could possibly save a huge amount of time. Anyway, I haven't watched this movie yet, I'll try to do so tomorrow, but I think you're right about that this will make a good reference for future runs, so it's no waste at all, even if rejected. I'll come back with more comments when I've actually watched the movie, if I find the correct ROM that is. I hear that there are some trouble with finding the right ROM for this game.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
perhaps choco-mint and univbee could work together on a Dragon Warrior 2 run?
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
I have surveyed the approximately time which can be saved by improving. Attacking enemies by criticals: 2 Metal Babbles - 2:15 Metal Slime - 15 seconds Atlas - 55 seconds Hargon - 37 seconds Zarlox - 12 seconds Skipping Silver Key - 1:46 Keeping prince of Cannock dead - 45 seconds (including process of up brings) Reducing the number of Lottery Ticket from 5 to 2 - 1:25 Improving main route from Lianport - I don't know how long time can be saved at the present time. So, I guess at least 8:10 can be saved by improvement. >do you know what's differs this hacked ROM from a good dump? I'm afraid that I don't know those since I have not expertise. But I believe this is a right rom. >you should really do so I think you are right. I had not enough endurance to do so.
>you're right about that this will make a good reference for future runs, so it's no waste at all, even if rejected. Thank you. I don't want the next player of this game to do same mistakes I did.
Skilled player (1885)
Hmm, if this is improvable by a whole 8 minutes I don't think it should be published... I tried watching this today, but VirtuaNES is messing with me for some reason, says something about illegal NES header, I have no idea what that means. I'm gonna ask what both adelikat and univbee asked before, are you planning on doing a version 2 of this run, choco-mint? Getting this run under 50 minutes would be cool to see. Oh, and please use to FCE Ultra in that case, that emulator is nice to me and plays everything nicely :)
Given the proposed improvements I think a DW2 vid would be in 55 minute range. Don't forget the US version has an unskippable intro (something I'm guessing Enix wanted to do in the original version but couldn't for memory/time reasons, since this intro is present in every Japanese remake of DQ2) so that tacks on something like 2-3 minutes. Still, this could be quite interesting. I'm organizing some teaching classes and I'll take a second look in a bit.
Skilled player (1404)
Randil wrote:
I tried watching this today, but VirtuaNES is messing with me for some reason, says something about illegal NES header, I have no idea what that means.
I had the exact same issue with Cattou Ninden Teyandee; it probably means the ROM header is gunked up. Try using cajoNES from Zophar to clean it out. That worked for me. I also recommend this for everyone else having issues with the good dump. If it synchs up properly, the run may be publishable after all (improvements notwithstanding).
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Skilled player (1885)
Thanks for the tip Ferret, I'll check that out to see if I can get it to work. And if this run is redone, I would rather see it made with the Dragon Warrior version (the US version) of the game, mainly because it's in english and I think that a lot of people would like to know what's going on in the run. I don't know what differs the japanese DQ2 from the US DW2, though. Does anybody know the differences?