• Emulator used: FCE Ultra 0.98.12-blip
  • Length of movie: 219654 (01.01.01)
  • Aims for the fastest time possible
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Uses no warps/passwords
  • Manipulates luck
Information about the weapons:
Tink's Axe: A slow weapon. It deals only a one point of damage. It doens't have a very long range.
Cleopatra's Dagger: You will get this weapon in Chapter 3. It deals two points of damage. It is a little faster than Tink's Axe and it has a longer range.
Leonardo's Katana: This weapons is yours in Chapter 6. It deals two and a half points of damage. It is faster and it has a longer range than Cleopatra's Dagger.
Psychic Shockwave: You will get this in Chapter 3. Actually you need this weapon only to open the electric gate in Great Pyramid and to kill some enemies which are immune to other weapons.
Super Psychic Shockwave: More powerful than psychic shockwave but you need five hearts in order to use this. You'll get this in Chapter 5.
Ultra Psychic Shockwave: The most powerful of these three shockwaves. You need 10 hearts in order to use this weapon. You will get access to this weapon in Chapter 8.
Information about the chapters:
Chapter 1 - Intro: What's this!?! The whole chapter is nothing but talking. :p
Chapter 2 - Ice Age: Before I enter the cave there is a snowy place on the way. It may look funny, me not walking straight but there is a reason for this. There are holes in some places and it would take a lot of time to fall in them
Yum Yum's Cave: There has been some progress since Star Tropics 1. You are not limited just to walk front and back but you can also walk sideways. ;) The boss Yum Yum is really easy. I went to kill it from the right side because otherwise I would have killed the Board-pig and in consequence Yum Yum would have started to shoot at me at once. Because I didn't kill the Board-pig, I got to kill the boss in peace.
Chapter 3 - Egypt: Cleopatra gives you Cleopatra's Dagger. You'll get to use Psychic Shockwave for the first time.
Border Pass : Because I can jump sideways, I can cut through some parts. Boss Giant Scorpion. It doesn't move very quickly so it is easy to beat it fast.
Mini Caves 1 & 2 : Easy to complete. No bosses.
Great Pyramid: You'll have to use the Psychic Shockwave to open the elecric gate. I hit the flames and lose energy three times because if you would wait the flame to disappear you would lose a lot of time. I'll have to get the flute in order to get the snakes come out. Boss Monster Mask. The arrows that push you to the door make the battle more difficult. Besides that the boss is rather easy.
Chapter 4 - London: In this chapter I meet Zoda for the first time.
Sewer Part I: Short. Can't say much more :D. Boss Zoda's Creature. At the end of the battle I'll have to jump to the lower platform even though I could kill the boss from the previous platform because otherwise the platform will dissappear before I have time to jump onto it.
Sewer Part II: Rafts are annoying because they are slow and you can't cut through them in any way. Boss Zoda-X. Due to the fact that the floor is full with arrows pointing in different directions I'll have to jump in order not to hit Zoda.
Chapter 5 - Gold Rush: First you'll have to go to the house above you to talk to a man. Otherwise Bob's explosive shop won't be open. You'll get dynamite which you'll have to use to blow a hole to the rock that leads to the Gold Cave from the shop.
Gold Cave Part I: A pretty short tunnel. When Particle man kills it shoots a part of itself in four directions. Boss Boulder Tossing Miner. Throws rocks. A piece of cake.
Gold Cave Part II: Mini Boss Mine Rider. You can't destroy the train completely when it comes from right to left. You'll have to finish it when it comes from left to right on the lower track. Boss Mashing Miner. Really annoying. It was hard to manipulate the rocks and follow the boss at the same time.
Chapter 6 - Italy: Leonardo da Vinci will give you Leonardo's Katana as a reward for saving him. On the way to Eastern Castle you will have to land on an island where there is nothing.
Leo's Basement: WHAT!! no enemies!!. In some rooms there are balls that you'll have to get to a hole in order to open the door. There isn't even a boss here. :p
Eastern Castle: On your way to Tetrad you'll have to fall into a couple of holes because you can't evade them. I manipulated to get the fastest cave possible.
Chapter 7 - Transylvania: Nothing special. The only task is to walk to Dracula's Castle.
Dracula's Castle: Some new enemies. Boss Zoda-Y. The beginning is nothing but hitting until Zoda transforms. It's really irritating to evade the feathers.
Chapter 8 - Camelot: First you'll have to go to King Arthur's castle before you get access to Dragon's Cave. You'll get Ultra Psychic Shockwave here.
Dragon's Cave Part I: I hit all the blades in the rooms where there are arrows on the floor because it saves some time. And before the boss I get four hearts so I don't have to listen to the annoying noice ;). Boss Knight. It's frustrating not being able to kill it fast. You'll have to circle around the room. I tried to kill it as fast as possible.
Dragon's Cave Part II: The Golden Knights are the most annoying enemies in this game. You can hit them only from the back and from sides because of their shields. Boss The Dragon. This boss has a lot of energy. I manipulated it so that it didn't got in the air because it would have taken much time.
Chapter 9 - C-Island: The last chapter.
Cave: This is the same cave as in Star Tropics except there are different enemies. I killed the enemies with Ultra Psychic Shockwave because it's fast. Boss 1 Bone C-Serpent. In this battle I used Ultra Psychic Shockwave because it is fast and it has a long range. I chose the uppermost path because there are no potions to slow you down. Next you will have to fight the previous bosses again. Well I killed them almost the same way I did on the first time expect Yum Yum because it didnä have a Boarg-pig to eat. Boss 2 Zoda-Z. This boss has three different forms. First there is five Zoda Larva creatures. Then Zoda transforms to its normal form and begins first shooting big balls that transform Mike to a Board-pig if you hit them. Otherwise Zoda shoots small balls. I noticed a bug. If I'm close enough and in a right spot, Zoda can't shoot balls (works for some other enemies too). Last there is Zoda's monsterform. I manipulate it so that it doesn't shoot other balls than those which are easy to evade.
Enjoy!

Bisqwit: Queuing for processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #856: Sami's NES Star Tropics 2; Zoda's Revenge in 1:01:00.90
Editor, Active player (296)
That was fast! (In real time, the time between "planning" and "submitting")
Experienced player (538)
WOAH !?!?!?!?
Former player
Yes ;)
Current Projects: ???
Editor, Active player (296)
As expected from the quick work, this is a proof-of-concept movie. The movements are good, but I am sure that many rooms could be played faster. This game welcomes competition much in the same way as Legend of Zelda does. It's about killing enemies in different order, from different angles and so on. However, this movie is not longer than it was expected, and it doesn't look bad, so I'm voting "yes".
Former player
I try manipulate, but enemies goes same routes :p Star Tropics 1 enemies is lot easyer to manipulate.
Skilled player (1885)
Wow, good job. I'm not very good at this game, so I can't tell whether or not you picked the best route, but the fights looked good and I couldn't spot any mistake in this movie, so I think this is very good for a first TAS on this game. You seem to be very good on the Startropic games and I think you got a big talent on making TAS as well, so I hope we'll be seeing more movies from you in the future, Sami! :) It's always fun to see what your next movie will be. Of course, I'm voting YES on this.
I love the movie length. That was very binary of you.
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
Whaddya mean? it took him a whole 21 to finish...um...wait, nevermind. <.< All I'll say is: You're a lot more entertaining in your submission comments than a lot of people. ^^
YtterbiJum, on SMB3: I've tried 20+ times and it always desyncs there. Unless, of course, Genisto meant to die, use a star on the map screen, go in a pipe, and jump around till time runs out.
Former player
I have wanted to play this game for a long time, but I haven't done that yet. I loved the story of it ;) I had no idea that Cleopatra was in desperate need for a pizza. Anyway. I don't know how the physics is in this game but it looked like you could have done some things better. Cutting corners at special places caught my attention and also, as Bisqwit mentioned, it looked like a lot of enemies could have been killed better. Wouldn't jumping be better in most situations? Because it looks like you would want forward motion even though you have to wait for doors/passages to open. I can't say this for sure but that was what I thought of. I'm glad I finally got to watch this game though. Voting yes.
/Walker Boh
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Former player
Takes damage to save time? Yes, but when you get smacked down by the large blades, it does a LOT of damage and you need to heal up (slowly) via the tetrad. There's a heart pack you pick up which may justify a single hit, but my gut says that healing up hurts more than it helps.
Former player
DeHackEd wrote:
Takes damage to save time? Yes, but when you get smacked down by the large blades, it does a LOT of damage and you need to heal up (slowly) via the tetrad. There's a heart pack you pick up which may justify a single hit, but my gut says that healing up hurts more than it helps.
Yes, but i think it's faster hit the blades and wait to heal up.
Former player
I'm a bit torn on this one, but I think I'll vote yes, since it's still a pretty good TAS despite a few small flaws. Though, I have to echo the sentiment on the taking damage to save time. It's not so bad in Egypt, but later on with the blades, refilling the hearts takes quite some time. Have you thought about getting a life-refilling power-up along the way? I spotted two on your route, and while one would have taken more time than would have been worth it, but there was another that should have only taken a moment to grab, and certainly would have negated much of the needless heart-refilling, since through a power-up the life meter refills instantly. It could stand to have a few wrinkles ironed out, but for such a quick job it's some nice work.
Having not played in a while, I found this a good memory jogger. Some enemies seem to take a while to kill, so would going through the hidden tunnel and getting the Bronze Dagger from Jack-of-all-Trades before the border cave save time ?
I just watched the movie, and am thinking the same thing. Going to the Jack-of-all-Trades would waste a bit of time (it's pretty far off), but since the dagger does twice the damage of the axe you'd get through the border cave and beat the giant scorpion boss faster, and would skip the 'I'll trade you my bronze dagger' dialogue with Cleopatra. I don't know if this would save a few seconds, or add more time overall.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [430] NES Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II by Sami in 1:01:00.90
KennyMan666
He/Him
This I will check out.
Det man inte har i begåvning får man ta ut i energi. "I think I need to get to Snoop Dogg's level of high to be able to research this post." -Samsara Read my fanfic, One Piece: Pure Corruption