Submission Text Full Submission Page
Game: Spy Vs Spy.
Difficult: Level 8 (max).
Completion time: 6163 frames (ingame time: 02:03)
Points of interest:
  • Passes through trapped rooms unharmed
  • Dies in one trapped room (the only alternative would be to wait until CPU walks into that room) (this is not cool)
  • The random number generator used by the CPU is unaffected by player's actions or lag.
I also made a level 1 movie.
Reason for submitting: To see if the game gathers interest.

Bisqwit: It didn't gain enough interest.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #868: Bisqwit's NES Spy vs Spy in 01:42.72
Editor, Active player (296)
I'll take this opportunity to vote on my own submission. And my vote is "no" :P (Reason: This movie does nothing creative. It's just an optimized walkthrough. (Though probably not maximally optimized.))
Having never played this game before, I have no idea what I just saw. It looks like there's a pretty extensive map, but I really can't comment on whether or not it was good.
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
Wait a minute. I always thought the submission queue was for serious TAS movies. Lately, the submission queue has been flooded with demonstrations. I don't want to say that doing this is no good, but I don't want others to think that submitting 100 demonstrations of random games is OK.
Former player
Bisqwit, I know that you're trying to garner some interest in your speed run there, but by voting "No" for your own movie, doesn't that sorta defeat the purpose of what you're trying to do?
If he'll ignore the fact that I submitted a run of Genesis Super Battleship to prove that someone else's run of Genesis Super Battleship sucked, I'll ignore his submission of a run to see if anyone is interested, despite voting No himself. I approve of FractalFusion's point, but at least it does appear to be well done and meets most, if not all, of the guidelines for submission. This is a friendly forum, so I think it should be possible to post a friendly submission and not have to worry about "forum cops" (not that I'm saying anyone here is a forum cop).
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
This was ony of my favourite games back in the 80s! The gameboy version still costs 60€ in a shop I know ·_· Have to watch it, I'll vote later.
No.
Former player
This is a friendly forum, so I think it should be possible to post a friendly submission and not have to worry about "forum cops" (not that I'm saying anyone here is a forum cop). Um, it looks like I need to make people realize how much power I have and that I should be feared! *deletes Bisqwit's submission* Just kidding, I don't even know if it would let me delete nesvideoagent's post and I don't wanna find out. Anyway, on an on-topic note, I voted yes.
Player (70)
Maby Bisqwit should create another submission thread which is intended for demonstrations only? Such as new tricks, glitches etc etc.. Secondly I didn't think we were allowed to vote for our own runs. That is somewhat pathetic to do. I will watch this later though.
Rick wrote:
Bisqwit, I know that you're trying to garner some interest in your speed run there, but by voting "No" for your own movie, doesn't that sorta defeat the purpose of what you're trying to do?
I wanted to bring forth this game, not the movie.
Former player
Seriously, why not make a topic about this game in the NES forum instead? I'm confused.
Former player
Seriously, why not make a topic about this game in the NES forum instead? I'm confused. Because there's a chance it'll be published. Btw I'd be interested in seeing a run of the whole game.
Former player
Bisqwit wrote:
I wanted to bring forth this game, not the movie.
Player (70)
Funny game which I haven't played in a long long while. And the movie is rather good to. Could it be more optimized? Also watched the level 1 movie. I suppose those graphical glitches can't be used for anything good right?
Post subject: Game explained
Michael Fried wrote:
Btw I'd be interested in seeing a run of the whole game.
You have now seen it almost all of it. The game contains eight levels. I made movies for levels 1 and 8. The objective of the game is to find 5 items and then fly away. The 5 items are: - bag - 4 items that go into the bag The items are hidden inside various pieces of furniture. Unless you have the bag, you can only carry one item at time. (So you may need to hide them from the other spy while searching for the bag.) The main entertainment of the game comes from the fact that you are equipped with many kinds of traps that you can employ by your discretion, and the comedic looks of those characters, especially when one dies and the other laughs at him. Besides those 5 items, you can also pick an umbrella (which will protect you against a poison can if one has been placed on top of a door), or you can pick pincers (unknown purpose), or you can have one of two stabbing weapons - one of which kills in 5 hits and the other kills in 6 hits, should you engage in direct melee with the other spy. There's also a training mode, which is basically level 1, but you only need to find one item to go with the bag -- not all four. And the two-player mode, which is the most entertaining mode, of course. The levels 1-8 only differ by the number of rooms and stairs. In level 8, the downstairs has two separate sections, and to cross the sections, you have to visit upstairs and climb down the other ladder. Some rooms are also pre-trapped.
I don't know if this game is like the C64 version, but in that version, you could pick sand to deactivate a bomb, scissors to deactivate a string-activated pistol, umbrellas to deactivate the acid bucket, and pincers to deactivate a spring that may be placed inside the furniture. I had also a demo of Spy vs Spy 2, in which both spies crashed in a desert island. As a demo, it couldn't be finished, but it didn't matter.
No.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, stale!