Recorded on Snes9x v1.43 Improvement6
Sync-Settings: WIP1 Timing ON; Left+Right/Up+Down OFF; Volume Envelope Heigh Reading OFF; Fake Mute Desync Workaround ON; Sync Samples With Sound CPU ON;
  • New Game+ (transfer items/status from a save-file into a New Game)
  • aim for fastest possible time
  • manipulate luck
  • no programming errors or glitches used
  • Genre: RPG
  • Frames: 35836
About the Game: Chrono Trigger is a phantastic role-playing game made by Square. It is known as one of the best RPG games of all time. The story is about time-traveling in which a group of young adventurers is trying to save the future by defeating a mighty creature called "Lavos" which has infected and destroyed the world.
Moviemaking: Since making a TAS for the entire game would take very much time I decided to do a New Game+ run! This movie shows how to beat the game using the New Game+ feature which allows you to start a new game but keep the status and items from a save-file you can select for it. I used my own save-file I have optimized for this movie to reach the fastest possible time in this mode and defeating Lavos at the earliest point.
Optimizing the the movements especially where Marle joins, the Lavos battles to find the quickest battle-strategy against him and the Dream Team Ending was hard. In the End of Time I had to calculate the fastest possible route while talking to all the needed characters which required some planings and testings.
The effort was worth it, I managed to break the 10 min barrier by geting a time of 9 min and 57 sec which seems to be the limit for this mode.
Don't have much more to say, so just enjoy the movie!
Saturn

Bisqwit: Accepted as a concept demo.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #877: Saturn's SNES Chrono Trigger "newgame+" in 09:57.27
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
I gotta vote no on this. It starts without clearing SRAM, which I think is against the rules, but more importantly, this was boring to me. Complete domination doesn't work for entertainment in this genre for me. Like you said, the full run would be much longer and more involved to optimize...but it would be much better, too.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Former player
Ummm.... Yay Chrono Trigger and all, but it's technically from SRAM. If Bisqwit approves of it, I'll vote. But personally I'm frowning on it.
No way. Again - New Game + runs aren't accepted here; laziness is not an acceptable excuse for an exception to the rule. Second, the console speedrun on SDA is fully two minutes faster - if you can't do it as fast as someone playing it without the benefit of savestates and frame advance, you probably put very little effort into the run. Speaking of which, YOU are credited in the full-game run on SDA; it would be relatively easy to take that run and simply use save state and frame advance (where applicable) to optimize the run and get a faster full-game run that way. The run on SDA is under five hours; at least ten minutes could be shaved off just due to minor optimizations. A small amount of luck manipulation could easily take another ten minutes off that time.
Sabikage wrote:
Second, the console speedrun on SDA is fully two minutes faster - if you can't do it as fast as someone playing it without the benefit of savestates and frame advance, you probably put very little effort into the run.
I'm calling bullshit on that. Lavos didn't actually die until time index 9:25 in the SDA run, whereas Saturn does it at 8:03. What corresponds to "Movie End" for Saturn's run is at 15:47 in the SDA run. About 30 seconds are wasted at the start of the movie. That means that Saturn beat lavos about 50 seconds faster, and simply totaled the ending. Each group has a different means of measuring the flow of time. We go by input length. They don't.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
wow.. what can i say, its chrono trigger, it should have a short and a long movie and a medium size and a 100% and a worst ending and one for every ending! ehehe Seriously, it's clear that it doesn't start from a clean cartridge, anyone can see that, so it's not fooling anyone, i think this can be an exception to the rule. And although it doesn't show anything impressive, imo, the shortest best ending to chrono trigger deserves a spot on the site. For reference, if the least. I vote yes.
No. no. and more no. I've been researching for a LONG time exactly how much I need to do before it's feasible to sprint to Lavos and end it(and whether it would be faster to do more levelling and spend less time kicking his arse), and how much luck manipulation goes into it. (I've wanted to make a run for a long time, but that's really the only emulated game I know well enough to try that hasn't already been owned) Starting with a bunch of levels and characters and items, etc, is a BIG no in my book.
YtterbiJum, on SMB3: I've tried 20+ times and it always desyncs there. Unless, of course, Genisto meant to die, use a star on the map screen, go in a pipe, and jump around till time runs out.
Editor, Active player (296)
My vote is "postpone". This may be published as a supplemental later when a real movie is made, but until then, this is considered cheating, and will not be published.
I'm also voting NO because of the SRAM thing. Although I'd really like to see a non-"cheated" run of Chrono Trigger. I also agree with Bisqwit. After there is a complete run of the game, this one could be considered publishable.
Which run should I encode next? :)
Player (209)
As DeHackEd said I beat the SDA New Game+ run by almost 6 min if comparing the full movie-lengh.
Sabikage wrote:
Second, the console speedrun on SDA is fully two minutes faster - if you can't do it as fast as someone playing it without the benefit of savestates and frame advance, you probably put very little effort into the run.
I recommend you to use your brain first before posting such untrue crap here... I put so much effort on this one that its completely frame-perfect in any part. I'm sure makeing a 9:56 is impossible in this mode. Of course its clear I use a SRAM file here (I mentioned that in the comments) but this is the only way to start a New Game+. I personally think that we can make a exception about the SRAM since I don't get any warp of it but only use the items and levels of it in the New Game. This would be a great challenge for everyone to first make a optimized SRAM and then a frame-perfect movie to get the best result and I'm sure I totally reached both goals. I made this movie because I think Chrono Trigger deserves at least one run on this site as its such a great game. If we mention it in bold text that it uses a SRAM save-file (which is clear anyway if you read the word "New Game+") it should be ok IMO. Again its just a different category compared to the normal game which also can be timeattacked for competition but of course the judges should decide themself. The run itself is absolutely perfect and pretty unimproveable, thats fact at least. EDIT: Alright, then maybe I will do a complete run for this game soon as I got some interest and experience using Frame Advance on it.
See my perfect 100% movie-walkthroughs of the best RPG games on http://www.freewebs.com/saturnsmovies/index.htm Current TAS project (with new videos): Super Metroid Redesign, any% speedrun
Active player (432)
Now Im very interested to hear from you Saturn how you could complete this game when you have a whole crowd waiting for you to complete your any% Super Metroid run...
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Player (70)
I will vote on this movie after the full length one has been made.
Player (209)
I know, sorry. I just got the idea and interest to make this run. I best would like to make TAS for all games I know but the time and my patience don't allow that. Although I would prefer to do Chrono Trigger first, I think I will keep on Metroid as I promised that a long time ago already.
See my perfect 100% movie-walkthroughs of the best RPG games on http://www.freewebs.com/saturnsmovies/index.htm Current TAS project (with new videos): Super Metroid Redesign, any% speedrun
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Did anyone else think that some of the sound on this game wasn't emulated correctly? I specifically remember Lavos's scream before the final fight sounding much different, for example. Although all the music seems to play fine, which is a good thing.
Editor, Active player (296)
Comparing to the video available at SDA, it doesn't sound as much different than I thought it would. All in all, everything was quite right.
JXQ wrote:
Did anyone else think that some of the sound on this game wasn't emulated correctly? I specifically remember Lavos's scream before the final fight sounding much different, for example. Although all the music seems to play fine, which is a good thing.
The default sample decoding method emulates this game pretty poorly. The other one does it much better. The wind effect is the biggest difference. You can notice it in FF6 too.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Jeffrey wrote:
The default sample decoding method emulates this game pretty poorly. The other one does it much better. The wind effect is the biggest difference. You can notice it in FF6 too.
Yes, the wind! Aagh. This is probably noobish, but how do I switch to this other encoder you speak of? I'd be really excited to get my sound working better, as it's usually my favorite part of a game. Well, besides the play.
Bisqwit wrote:
Comparing to the video available at SDA, it doesn't sound as much different than I thought it would.
I watched it too, it is pretty close. The sound I hear screwed up the worst is Lavos's breathing when running up the passage toward him in his second form, but it has a wind element to it, so that's probably why.
Try tinkering with your sound rate. You'll probably hear different things depending on your sample setting (32000 should be closest to "correct", followed by 48000 and then 44100).
Former player
anyway, talking about non-cleared-SRAM-runs.. i would like to ask about a Castlevania:AoS permition to do a Julius run without having to finish the game one time.. there's nothing wrong about it, and its the only worthy way to do it.. i.i (feel free to revise it if im wrong)
<small>My big signature was cleared by admin; i should read <a href="http://tasvideos.org/ForumRules.html">forum rules</a>. But... who does?</small>
Former player
I liked this very much. Seeing this makes me excited to see a full length version, despite it being around 4 hours long. I, too, think this should be included with the full version when it's made.
Well, hero of the day has had a Chrono Trigger run published, so how about this one?
This guy are sick.
I'd like to see a newgame+ run published, and now that there is a real run, wouldn't it make sense to use that one's sram as the basis of the newgame+ TAS? Otherwise, it's unclear how the game was played the first time through. It might have been a twenty-hour "preparation" game, collecting all the speed and magic tabs and the best armor in anticipation of a quick lavos fight, which would reduce the significance of a "fast" newgame+ run, in my opinion. If we had a run that picked up where hero of the day's left off, it would be clear what the starting situation was, and make the run more impressive I think. This was a good run, though, saturn. I haven't watched through hero of the day's run yet, but would it be possible to use the same strategy with his final inventory?
Active player (277)
But I thought it was fun just to have maximum levels for it.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Player (209)
First, a happy new year to all. IMO it makes much more sense to use the 'best possible' save to make the fastest possible time for a New Game+. Level 99 and absolutely best Equipment including maxed out status are a must to compete in this mode. Hero's last save has a pretty weak Crono who don't even have the best equipment, he hasn't learned techs like "Luminaire" and he wouldn't even be able to survive Lavos attacks plus the "Chaos" spell would confuse him because of the missing status protection which means a 100% death so it would be definitely impossible to beat Lavos in the earlest point of a New Game+.
Yeah, I guess you're right. I have to admit that a level 99 run is nice to see, too.