• this movie should have the right frame-count/input
recorded with nitsuja's mupen64 rerecording v8 found here: Forum/Topics/2934
16-minute 16-star playthrough of the first and one of the most versatile, action oriented 3-D games for the N64.
This tool-assisted movie is over a minute faster than the original test run, and takes many shortcuts favorable over the original ones. Most of the saved time is an accumulation of bits and pieces of optimization through Mario's movement and straighter paths to whatever destination.
What was very fortunate was that I was able to record with an analog stick, thus making radial positioning much more precise and ultimately making many pathways faster.
Thanks to Micheal Fried, Weatherton, nitsuja, Atma, and GeminiSaint for the useful strategies.
Abuses glitches. Takes damage to save time.

Bisqwit: Updated this submission as well (the movie length was calculated in wrong way).

1 2
7 8
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #883: spezzafer's N64 Super Mario 64 "16 stars" in 16:26.77
Star please! (and I did watch it through. Well, I watched up to the last Bowser level before, and fast forwarded to the final level and watched it in real time)
A yes, because I've seen the run up to the beginning of the 3rd Bowser. I get an Invalid Compressed folder error when I try to view the newest one. I tried extracting it with winrar and winzip, and it didn't work either... This just started to happen to me. It happens on the SDW game but it didn't before it got published...?? And now it happens on the AIR SMB game. I don't know what's going on.
<agill> banana banana banana terracotta pie! <Shinryuu> ho-la terracotta barba-ra anal-o~
Um, yes. I can't vote yet, but this is definitely a star video.
Active player (432)
Who's Da Man?!? Spezzafer Aferspezz Spezzafer Aferspezz Spezzafer Aferspezz! Clicked on the "Yes-button".
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
i can't download it, all i get is a zip file with a 10,7 Kb file inside named "submission883" needless to say, just renaming it won't fix.
Active player (432)
I could download it with ease. The filename is: SUPER MARIO 64 (USA).m64
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Player (67)
If this movie doesn't get published, we all might as well stop making TASes and start living a simpler life on a jungle island. Weeee!!!
Just f*cking awsome!! You're the man Spezzafer! I definitely liked the huge leap of faith you did in the last bowser level. The one where you cut a pretty huge part of the beginning of the level. I also liket the way you boarded Bowser's sub in DDD. Althou' I think it can be done a bit faster. And of course how you used every other bug in the game. The first star with the Bomb, going through those doors with the bunny (which was done very fast!) and the long jumping the stairs up, wow that was amazing how good you were able to manipulate where Mario ended up. A definite YES from me! What next? 120 star run? ;) (I'd really like to see that) [edit]:
FODA wrote:
i can't download it, all i get is a zip file with a 10,7 Kb file inside named "submission883" needless to say, just renaming it won't fix.
I also got that tproblem in the previous submission (where the time was incorrect. 3:07 or something). In that I unzipped the submission882.zip file and from there I got 'submission882' file. I deleted the previous .zip and renamed the one I had gotten from inside the zip-file to submission882.zip. So I made the file that was inside the zip-file also a zip-file (yes, sounds very confusing). After that I extracted the second zip-file just normaly and got the .m64 (movie)file from it, which worked just fine.
Which run should I encode next? :)
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
yea i'm sure 120 star would be my prefered TAS ever and it'd stay like that for a long time, maybe forever hehe. anyway i tried downloading here at work, and... it worked. i'll watch when i get home though. but i have already watched the last WIP and i know it's awesome. edit: oh maza, nice idea i didn't even think of that, yea it would have worked! i can't wait to vote on this hehe. (but maybe it's already being encoded lol)
Havent seen it yet but from the reception sounds awesome. Am really looking forward to the encode :)
This signature is much better than its previous version.
Former player
YES Although I can't vote yet. The run is amazing, quite a good start for the N64 TAS archive :D
nfq
Player (93)
why didn't he take the star at the end?
FODA wrote:
unzip it.
Awesome work, Spez. This truly deserves a STAR! I'd like to mention some points of interests... On Course 9 ~ Dire, Dire Docks, you didn't even flinch once in your swimming routine. Few manages to master that to the fullest, TAS'ing or no TAS'ing. Running away from the extra life in the 2nd Bowser Stage was a hilarious moment too. :D And I guess there aren't any specific frames to improve when it comes to activate certain dialogues and/or battle moves earlier, like an example in Course 2 ~ Whomp's Fortress, against the boss. Either way, you cruised through that star quite splendidly and I guess you don't need to improve that. :) This is a nice movie for being under 60,000 frames. I now await a TAS from anyone on Majora's Mask, Sin & Punishment... and even Banjo-Kazooie? ^^
Former player
Looks great. A good improvement over the first WIP, which looked pretty good as it was. This would be a great way to kick-start the N64 section. Now... how about a 70-star run? :D
Emulator Coder, Former player
Beautifully done. Definite yes from me.
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
Sounds like I'll have to get that N64 emulator some time soon.
very well done movie :) if i was able to vote it would be a yes
i hate sony like nothing else
Former player
Voted yes. Now how about a run through the mini-games for the next TAS! (both KTQs and secret slide and the different variations for each) It'll be really interesting to see how close to perfection the world records are.
Active player (277)
Well, they should be in the 100% run.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Truly amazing! Needless to say, this is star-material.
NO. WAY... There's a re-recording N64 emulator now??? How did I miss this?! (Please someone make an absolute Blast Corps smackdown!) That was phenomenal. As a person who used to play this game every waking hour (except for school) and invite friends to his house to play this game every waking hour, I consider myself pretty good at this game. This is even better than the time attack videos that blew me away. The super fast backwards stair climbing is awesome. I had never seen anyone use the rabbit to face the second Bowser before, so now I understand how you can beat the game with only 16 stars. I learned a lot by watching this movie. I posted at one point that a re-recording N64 emulator would change everything because it would throw camera angles into the mix, turning a TAS into a real movie that could be critiqued based on the choice of camera angles. Which angle is best? Close zoom or long zoom? First person perspective or floating camera? I suggested that a TAS-maker would have to be a Steven Spielberg as well. A movie could be technically perfect and the camera angles could be crap. I'll leave the comparisons to Steven Spielberg aside and just say that this movie meets the standard of excellence for both technical perfection and visual presentation, and that's saying a lot. This is a definite Yes vote. This also completely revives my passion for TASes. Just when I thought that everything had been done and the only way to keep things interesting was to start accepting runs of hacked games, a new era of TAS-making comes along with N64 re-recording, and the first movie that absolutely had to be made is already out. My hat's off to you.
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
Former player
thank you all for the support! I probably don't have the voracity to pull off 120 stars alone, but I might try 70 stars sometime in the future. Right now I'm kind of worn out.
I vote yes to all the above. :P Beautiful run.
Player (70)
*applauds* Very good work here! Star vote from me! Hehe. If a 100% run get's a star it would be called 121 stars in Super Mario 64! :D
1 2
7 8