Submission Text Full Submission Page
  • nitsuja's mupen64 rerecording v8
  • plays on hardest difficulty
  • takes no hits
  • aims for fastest time
  • manipulates luck
  • uses death as a shortcut
Link, Fox, Mario Bros., and Pikachu-- generally uses a combination of dashing and reflector. Because of the very hard difficulty, these characters require edge guarding.
Yoshi, Kirby, and Fighting Polygon teams-- stays close to the ground when attacking so to save time, but sometimes it is advantageous to jump and attack (like say for the last of them). Character and pokemon spawns are manipulated through movement.
Break the Targets and Board the Platforms-- skips so to save time.
Samus-- because the lava rules out bottom vertical KOs (fall through glitch does not occur until around 20 seconds) and top vertical KOs take too long, damage is built up with a combo so to execute a horizontal KO.
Giant DK and Metal Mario-- Giant DK is easy to manipulate and dies relatively fast, but Metal Mario does not suicide, despite what Fox does, until around 15 seconds through the match.
Master Hand-- Uses most damaging and quickest attacks along with lasers when Master Hand is too far away.
Stick around for the credits and post credits.
The toughest measures are comparing jumps, as there are many different ways to jump. Along with that, many of the decisions depended on exact frame timing because the CPU will change their attack path according with the inputs nearly every frame.

Phil: Movie is repetitive and not impressive which is too far from what this site aims for, entertaining movies.
Bisqwit: A dummy edit to enforce a thread lock.
adelikat: A dummy edit to unenforce a thread lock.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #903: nico's N64 Super Smash Bros. in 07:08.60
This is quite impressive, Although some parts look like they could have been done quicker (by small increments but probably not since the CPU is on the hardest difficulty) this is a very nice run. A yes for me.
<agill> banana banana banana terracotta pie! <Shinryuu> ho-la terracotta barba-ra anal-o~
Still kind of repetitive (I suppose that's an inevitability), but alot more entertaining than the last one.
What's a man like me supposed to do with all this extra savoir-faire?
Former player
a lot of the stages will be slower than the last one-- either because the cpu tries to return or because the cpu has added weight that makes them take longer to KO in team matches. there were also a lot of other opening move options that were unavailable because the cpu would attack.
Could you explain why you stuck to the ground for the polygon match? How does it save time?
Former player
it minimizes recovery time in order to get to the next character faster. if i were to jump ahead of time, it would mean a large slow down waiting to fall to the ground after the attack.
very nice one, much better than the old one... I would vote yes if I could ...
Yeah, playing at full difficulty obviously changes the fastest way you can beat a CPU. Maybe you should document all the places you had to slow down because of the difficulty, and put that in your comments. Unless this happened in a lot of places. Once again, much more entertaining than the last one, and very well played (I completey understand the repitition, which is inherent in any TAS of a fighting game, I think).
<agill> banana banana banana terracotta pie! <Shinryuu> ho-la terracotta barba-ra anal-o~
Former player
http://rapidshare.de/files/8469547/ssb1p.wmv.html putting this up for people that have trouble with n64 emulation.
Active player (277)
Hmm, Rice's plugin seems to work better for you than for me. On my system it whites out some of the graphics. But it still made the trees in Dream Land lean away from the camera in your video.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
I voted yes. It was fun and fast-paced, and very entertaining. I would have preferred seeing you take on the target and platform stages just to break it up a little more, but it's a matter of taste.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Personally, I don't think this game lends itself to be a good candidate for a TAS. Most of the battles were very repetitive and too short to get into. I did like the fighting polygon team battle, mostly because it had a weapon used in it, and hitting the different targets made for at least some varied movement. I did not like the Metal Mario battle.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Active player (277)
Go for score! Go for score!
Former player
Needs more taunting. :P But seriously, I think you can throw Metal Mario off the top platform and then lure him off immediately afterwards.
That didn't take you long. It's still repetitive and the Metal Mario fight is still boring, but I love the weapon use in the Fighting Polygon fight. Fox may be fast, but I still don't find it as interesting as Jammer01's DK run, which had a greater variety of moves. Tough call. At any rate, I don't think it was necessary to fight Ness at the end. It's not really part of the Very Hard run itself. Once unlocked, you don't fight him at the end any more. Beating Very Hard just happens to be the criteria that unlocks that particular hidden character, just as beating the game at other difficulty levels unlocks other characters.
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
Editor, Player (67)
I voted yes. That was a very quick and entertaining run. I especially like how you defeated several enemies while perpetually falling.
Current Projects: TAS: Wizards & Warriors III.
Active player (277)
hopper wrote:
At any rate, I don't think it was necessary to fight Ness at the end. It's not really part of the Very Hard run itself. Once unlocked, you don't fight him at the end any more. Beating Very Hard just happens to be the criteria that unlocks that particular hidden character, just as beating the game at other difficulty levels unlocks other characters.
Hey, I was the one who suggested beating the secret guy. That was my idea you just ruined there. :(
Former player
taunts, yeah. nearly any other character and i would be able to do the super cool taunt canceling. it's a glitch that lets a player taunt like 3 times a second. as for variety, i think this is something that would be benifit more to the unfamiliar player of smash bros. i was trying to satisfy a more meaningful objective. and i can always take out the last bit. need more feedback on that, though. i tried throwing metal mario off, and i was even able to get him off within 2 seconds, but this is only that top platform. he wouldn't at all jump off the bottom platform and attack no matter what. i encourage anyone to try before using this against me.
NesVideoAgent wrote:
This was a terrible decision. Break the Targets would be, by far, the most interesting part of the game to speedrun. Maybe someone's mentioned this already, but it would be great to have TAS's of just the bonus stages for each character, like the Super Smash Bros Melee BTT videos.
Former player
you're completely right, but i think these two should be seperated into different speed runs. one for fastest 1 player, and another for fastest btt/btp with all characters. see http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=62361#62361 i've done a few individuals already, and tinister is working on a full completion; however, there's a problem with getting all the characters in one speedrun since no save states are allowed.
Active player (277)
I wish my "official SRAM" idea could work. :(
Kapow wrote:
NesVideoAgent wrote:
This was a terrible decision. Break the Targets would be, by far, the most interesting part of the game to speedrun. Maybe someone's mentioned this already, but it would be great to have TAS's of just the bonus stages for each character, like the Super Smash Bros Melee BTT videos.
Agreed. It's the one part most of us ether strived to do, or to see done. The run could be called 100% Fox, if you complete all there is to do in the run. (kill every one, pass the trials, unlock the extra char.)
Active player (277)
Hmm, how about doing three quest runs to unlock the secret characters, then doing all the bonus stages to get Luigi and the sound test? Then you'd have everything but the multiplayer prizes of Mushroom Kingdom and Item Switch.
Former player
bonus stages can be done in a separate run ¬¬ i really think metal mario could be done faster, but if you say it couldnt, i havent tested to negate, so, gj, voting yes^^
<small>My big signature was cleared by admin; i should read <a href="http://tasvideos.org/ForumRules.html">forum rules</a>. But... who does?</small>
I don't know if Metal Mario could be done faster or not. All I know is that I don't find this as interesting at the DK run. Fox is fast, but boring.
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.