• Recorded with FCE Ultra 0.98.13 (nitsuja)
  • Length of movie: 19563 frames (5 min 26 seconds)
  • Aims for the fastest possible time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Pacifist-run (doesn't attack or kill a single enemy, except for the last boss)
This game is generally disliked by gamers, and I can understand how they're thinking. The game itself may not be very good, but I do think it makes a nice TAS. This run is 1 minute and 21 seconds faster than SeNn's run
There are many tricks that are used in this run, I'll briefly describe some of the stuff that's going on so you as the viewer will understand some more:
  • Protection from Evil: This spell is used a lot of times. It makes you invulnerable for a short period of time, which allows you to jump through enemies. You will see me use this a lot of times.
  • Cure light wounds: Used only once, this spell restores some HP.
And I'd like to thank the following persons for helping out in various ways with this submission:
  • SeNn for his submitted run, I take the same route as he did and I use a lot of the same techniques. I'd also like to thank him for answering some questions I had about the run.
  • Guybrush for tips and for following the process of this run.
  • Zalien for his tips on the green fish guys (or whatever they're called)
This run was pretty fun to make, it didn't take very long, and there weren't any extremely difficult places where I got stuck in it. Although the contols are pretty crappy, so it took quite a lot of rerecords to frame-perfect the menus.
And last, although it may seem that the run doesn't end where it's supposed to, wait a few seconds and you will see that I'm teleported out of the dungeon! I hope you enjoy this run!

Bisqwit: Submission file replaced. Also, fixed the broken link in the submission text. Read TextFormattingRules for help in making links and other formatting.

adelikat: This game is incredibly hard. I can understand that it might be interesting to see it finished for the people who have played it, but it makes for a very unappealing movie for the average viewer.
Rejecting.

adelikat: Accepting for publication to the Vault

nanogyth: Published

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Former player
Nice run Randil, very well done despite the game being as weird as it was. It was kind of like a SMB1 run with all the running through enemies. I liked the "urragh!" the character would emit when he/she fell down that hole (or whatever it was). Voting YES.
Guybrush: "I'm selling these fine leather jackets." Wally: "Really?" Guybrush: "No. I 'm lying." Wally: "In that case, I don't want one!" Currently working on: Nothing at the moment.
Its as obvious this game is horrible from just watching you play, which is good. There probably isn't much room to improve this as you ran/jumped through everything so unless some new glitch can be found I think it looks very good and I vote yes.
Skilled player (1885)
Tailz wrote
I liked the "urragh!" the character would emit when he/she fell down that hole (or whatever it was)
Haha, I know what you mean, one thing I noticed was that even though you fall down the pit as the girl Goldmoon, you will hear a man's cry as you fall down. Maybe Goldmoon isn't really a woman??? :) I'm glad you liked the run, guys!
Emulator Coder, Former player
Wow, what a terrible game :) Definite yes from me on the run though. Who'd have thought the company that would eventually make Panzer General could have cranked out such drek.
Former player
Nice one Randil! One part of the movie is funny: When the litlle green guy is just about to stab you, you teleport out of danger. It seems like that enemy kills you. EDIT: Oh, btw, I'll vote YES!
Skilled player (1885)
Guybrush wrote:
When the litlle green guy is just about to stab you, you teleport out of danger. It seems like that enemy kills you.
In fact, that enemy is just one frame from hitting me, so if I had waited one more frame, I would have got hit. But I agree that it looks quite funny :)
The only way i see someone could improve this is by not going into the menu untill the very last room, wich is probably possible but hard. Great run, if i could vote i would vote: Yes =)
Skilled player (1885)
Hmm yes, there are almost infinite possibilities to beat this game, for example, if you want to pass an enemy you always have the choises of either healing up your main character, using protection from evil or to switch main characters. I think this run could perhaps be improved by a huge effort in testing out when to enter the menu and when to avoid doing so. And to be honest, I'm not up to improving this even more, if someone finds out how to improve this run even more than this, I'll humbly accept my defeat. And I'm not sure if this game can be beaten without entering the menu until the last room, I mean, you have to use protection from evil on yourself to get past the first dragon in the sewers, unless you want to kill it. But killing it wastes several seconds, so I'm not sure that doing this without going into the menu before that saves a huge amount of time. Plus the fact that you would probably have to run around with very low HP a lot, thus wasting a lot of time by avoiding lots of enemies and stuff like that. But still, a run where you don't enter the menu until the very last room would be about 20-30 seconds faster. Oh yes, thanks for the mental YES vote, I'll keep it in mind ;)
Randil wrote:
And I'm not sure if this game can be beaten without entering the menu until the last room, I mean, you have to use protection from evil on yourself to get past the first dragon in the sewers, unless you want to kill it. But killing it wastes several seconds, so I'm not sure that doing this without going into the menu before that saves a huge amount of time. Plus the fact that you would probably have to run around with very low HP a lot, thus wasting a lot of time by avoiding lots of enemies and stuff like that. But still, a run where you don't enter the menu until the very last room would be about 20-30 seconds faster.
"Where There's A Will There's A Way" =)
Maze game is often troublesome to do but OK to see. By the way, it does work on 0.98.12 too.
Skilled player (1885)
ramond wrote:
Maze game is often troublesome to do but OK to see. By the way, it does work on 0.98.12 too.
It's nice to see that this run hasn't been forgotten yet. :) And yes I agree that maze games can be a pain sometimes, but this game wasn't that difficult. SeNn had already done a run of this game before I did this one, so I had the route practically planned out, the hard part was to jump through all the enemies. Thanks for voting Yes by the way, I'm guessing this new Yes vote is from you. ;)
Editor, Expert player (2459)
I watched this movie some time ago, but forgot to vote. So, here's another Y.
Former player
This run gets now a bit of publicity which it deserves :)
Skilled player (1885)
Thanks a lot Aqfaq and Guybrush! :) It feels great that people enjoy this movie. It was fun to make, and fun to watch it seems, so it's a win-win situation. I know this game isn't the best game there is for NES, but it makes a pretty nice TAS anyway I think.
Player (24)
Like in the other run from SeNn's, you must still press some buttons at the end to see the full ending. I think the real end is where stand to be Continued. After that nothing came anymore. But many message is not shown here. Or must I wait longer? So in the moment I will not vote for that movie. But the run itself looks good. Only the missing ending is bad for me.
Last TAS finished: Final Fantasy Adventure (4.0 Warp Glitch Run) WIP in the moment: Tail Gator (GB) Matty
Skilled player (1885)
MattyXB wrote:
Like in the other run from SeNn's, you must still press some buttons at the end to see the full ending. I think the real end is where stand to be Continued. After that nothing came anymore. But many message is not shown here. Or must I wait longer?
EDIT: I'll check this out, hold on... *checking* Nope, there doesn't seem to be any way to make the to be continued text go away. I tried pressing all buttons a lot, especially Start, and I waited for about 10 000 frames to see if the text disappeared, but nothing worked. The FAQ on Gamefaqs didn't mention anything about anything happening after the to be continued text either. So as I see it, this movie should end where it does, because no input changes anything after my movie has ended. You could savestate at the very end of my movie and try out yourself if you don't understand what I mean. If anyone knows anything about an ending after the to be continued text, let me know.
Player (24)
Randil wrote:
I know what you mean. Nothing comes after the "to be continued" text, even if you wait very long, or if you press all buttons. That text can not go away. So my movie should end where it does, because no input changes anything, after my movie ends. You could savestate at the very end of my movie and try out yourself if you don't understand what I mean, but I assure you that this movie should end where it does. :)
Sorry, maybe my english was so bad, that you not understand what I mean. The problem is, your movie dosn't end by the To Be Continued message. It ends to early after you warp out of the dungeon (by me). And when I press some buttons some other messages appear (Points, Endmessage, Promotions for the next game and this To be Continued message). Or will the movie reach this screen by itself, when I wait much longer? The strange things is, it jump always to the next message by me, when I press some buttons, not by itself.
Last TAS finished: Final Fantasy Adventure (4.0 Warp Glitch Run) WIP in the moment: Tail Gator (GB) Matty
Skilled player (1885)
Okay, now I see what you mean. You are right, the movie ends on a screen where all the experience points are shown... Crap. Hmm I really don't want to cancel this for just this matter, it seems like such a small detail. It would be good if there was some way to edit the moviefile itself for this submission, because cancelling this just to get to see a "to be continued" text isn't something I really want to do... And this is such a small thing, it doesn't change anything in the movie. So if anyone would like to see the full ending, just skip through the EXP tables after the movie has ended. Anyone knows if there is any way to slightly modify the .fcm in this submission without having to cancel it?
Player (24)
I think some other movies are edited too somehow. Like by this one, there I have see it too and Bisqwit or the author change it. So its possible without cancel the movie itself. #944: nico's GBC Tetris DX in 00:45 But I don't know how this is possible.
Skilled player (1885)
Allright, that's good to hear. :) So if any moderator or Bisqwit reads this, I would really appreciate if you could tell me how to edit this .fcm to get the full ending. Thanks in advance.
Editor, Player (67)
Nice movie. I've tried this game a few times but could never figure out how to fight. You clearly showed that you knew what you were doing. YES from me. BTW, did you kill the boss in one hit? That's what it looked like to me, but I keep thinking that bosses shouldn't go down that easily.
Current Projects: TAS: Wizards & Warriors III.
Skilled player (1885)
Thanks a lot Dacicus. :) "With savestates, one always knows what he's doing", as they saying goes. If you're talking about the last boss, then yes, that's a one-hit kill. I don't know why they made the last boss that simple, it would be nice with at least some challenge... Well, it makes the TAS faster anyway ;)
This game is really awful, but the TAS was really fun to watch. I vote yes.
Skilled player (1885)
Haha, people seem to dig up some of my old runs lately. .) I'm glad you liked it FreshFeeling, thanks for voting Yes, and congrats on your 100:th post too. ;)