• Does not get hit
  • Best ending
  • Aims for speed
Mighty Bomb Jack (U).nes: SHA512 =
5449B9E4 1832C161 40335417 07CC1934 47E1B660
D08DFB6F 2F98CBDE 7E4210F3 3755B9C2 EAF9E51B
CCF2C054 088FB47F 522B04B6 97C8360B D9F54746
2C00040C
Mighty Bomb Jack is a platformer where he can jump high and the only way that he can kill enemies is to turn them into coins and collect them. He must collect 2 crystals and at least 5 secret coins to get the best ending. There are different boxes which require mighty coins to open, which change his color. The hit-touch is rather poor.

Comments:

Although I don't warp, I have to take a short cut from area 7 to area 10 to get the first crystal.
Everything in this game depends on how much you jump. For example, in 13-E, I stop jumping on the floor so that the mummy turns into a skull, which then moves out of my way. (It is not exactly luck manipulation; it is simply how many times A is pressed.) Also, changing colors is based on the number of times you press A. In the maze in area 12 and to rescue the princess in area 17, I have to conserve jumps so that I will not need additional mighty coins. (Of course, the princess can be rescued without being blue. All you have to do is jump underneath the box, but that takes extra time.)
In 11-E, I take a strange path to get the P so I can get the bombs at the top. Without it, the mummies appear in my way, and I have to wait for them to move.
At the end, you might want to press START after a while to show the final GDV screen.

Special thanks to:

• Kapow for his detailed game map (which was incredibly useful)
  • Guybrush for catching my mistakes, a better path for 3-E, and his partial movie
  • Randil for his partial movie and a better path for 2-E

scubed: Changed ! to make it as heading, not exclamation point

adelikat I'm still undecided about what to do with this run. I am leaning towards rejecting but I would like a little more feeback (only 5 votes so far). I will set it to delayed to give someone a chance to persuade me otherwise ;)

adelikat After a week, I have gotten no response. I am rejecting this run due to the fact that it was receive little favorable attention. Its not a bad game choice but it is very "meh".

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #931: scubed's NES Mighty Bomb Jack in 14:45.73
Former player
I like this movie a lot better than the other movie, where we can actually see the route being played instead of just seeing a big bomb-collecting fest. I give this one a yes!
Former player
I'll like your movie scubed. I'm glad this run is now finished. Good job, voting YES!
Skilled player (1885)
Good job, scubed. Really creative solutions to a lot of rooms. Generally flawless movements as well. You have my YES on this. :)
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Nice, this is one of those "i like it, but it's too hard for me" games. Seeing the best ending is awesome. Yes vote.
Post subject: Difficulty
Former player
>"i like it, but it's too hard for me" Yes, it is hard for me too when I play it normally. I waste a lot of time luring monsters away and scrolling them off of the screen. I still die a lot. Yay for slow motion and save states. I don't think that I have ever gotten the best ending without save states. I can get the worst ending though.
Former player
Worst is easy because of the warping, but still some bomb rooms are very difficult for example 13.
Former player
Since it hasn't gotten many votes, I doubt that it will be accepted anytime soon, so I have done an unofficial encoding: The movie: (34 MiB) http://lingcog.iit.edu/~scubed/mightybombjack-timeattack-scubed.mkv Container: Matroska Video: H.264 Audio: Ogg Vorbis 1 subtitle track The subtitles: (with controller input) http://lingcog.iit.edu/~scubed/mightybombjack-timeattack-scubed.sub MicroDVD format The movie contains the standard subtitles generated by nesvideos-GENSUB from this site, but I could not get the controller input to work with Matroska subtitles. (Those subtitles were generated from the subtas program from the forums.) SRT doesn't seem to like the '<' and '>' characters. Even when those are replaced, MKV doesn't seem to like having rapidly changing subtitles. It took me a while to get the audio to sync after adding my logo. (It's supposed to be a lightning bolt, even though it doesn't look like one.) The way I finally got it to work was by using -oac copy in mencoder. Doing -oac pcm introduces a strange delay for some reason. Encoding the movie still generated a lot of warnings, so please tell me if it doesn't work. It does work for me on MPlayer. Any comments are welcome.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
This movie got old after about 6-7min, though it was well done. I don't know much about it but I remember there being a shorter "worst ending" run. Why is that not the preferred run?
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Former player
Yes, it does get a bit repetitive. Do you have any ideas on how to make it seem more diverse? The part that I found annoying was 12-maze. So much time is wasted waiting for those doors. I can't even jump for parts of it. The other run uses warps to go straight from the first area to the last. I don't know if something happened to the other movie. P.S. I edited my movie slightly so it now has some comments in the subtitle stream to be like one of those "DVD extras".
adelikat
He/Him
[here|http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3144&highlight=Mighty+Bomb+Jack] Why is the best ending movie (which is twice the length) a preferred movie over this fast as possible run? I saw the "best ending" and it isn't THAT amazing :s The worst ending falls under the "any%" category which is generally the preferred run on this site. Unless someone has a good reason to persuade me otherwise, I would prefer the shorter "worst" one.
Former player
You'd have to ask him why he cancelled his run. (I never said that mine should replace his.) Our runs have different goals: Mine: warpless, best ending His: warps, any ending (worst) All of the endings are about the same in this game. You rescue a different number of people, the pyramid gets destroyed to a different height, and there is different text. I just chose that path because I would rather have the game entirely completed instead of largely skipped. It's my personal preference. Using warps makes most of the game just the ending rooms. It makes it a bit more monotonous, not that it isn't a lot of just jumping around anyways. Still, ask Guybrush.
adelikat
He/Him
yikes, the worst ending run is shorter but is almost all the most boring parts of the game. I would vote no for that run. but, I still find the full run boring too, and I am voting no. Either there needs to be some sort of compromise or this game just isn't suitable for an entertaining TAS. Thank you scubed for your help & prompt response :)