• Emulator used: FCE Ultra 0.98.13 (nitsuja)
  • Length of movie: 17188 frames (4min 46.47s)
  • Aims for the fastest possible time.
  • Plays on the hardest difficulty (Called "Lethal" skill).
  • Uses death as a shortcut.
  • Abuses no glitches or programming errors (None known).
Cybernoid is considered extremely difficult to beat. You can only take one hit before you die, and you have only 9 lives. In this run I make use of all given weapons to save time. These are the weapons at your disposal:
  • Bombs: Fires a missile. Good for blowing stuff up. This weapon is used several times.
  • Shield: Makes you invulnerable for a short period of time. This weapon is very useful.
  • Genocide: Kills all enemies that are currently on the screen. This weapon is only used once.
  • Bouncers: Fires several bouncing balls from your ship. Good for destroying green bricks.
  • Seekers: A homing missile. You cannot choose which target it's gonna hit, it always hits the enemies on the screen in a certain order. Quite a useful weapon, it's used a few times in the run.
You will notice that I die a few times in the run. This is because when you die, you get all ammo for your weapons back. And especially "shield" needs new ammo now and then because you only have one charge per life. To put things short, it's simply faster to die at some places and get all your ammo back, than to keep going without any ammo for certain weapons.
As closure, I can say that this game is not considered to be very good. It's really hard though, that's why I think that those who have played this game will enjoy this run. I try to fly close to enemies now and then to spice things up a little.
There is no music in this game, which is really bad. So put on some good music while watching this run, it will probably make it more entertaining to watch! :)
Even though the game is not very good, I hope you'll find this run fun to watch. Either way, those of you who've played this game will now finally see it get owned! If you haven't played this game I suggest you try it out sourself. Enjoy the movie!

adelikat: Rejecting, sorry man - good run, bad game.

adelikat: Accepting for publication to the Vault

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #951: Randil's NES Cybernoid: The Fighting Machine in 04:46.47
Former player
This game is really hard. You did good job just beating it. First this didn't impress me, but when I tried to play the game myself this run turned out to be good. But still game is really bad... I'll vote YES.
Ugh... I remember reading about this game in Nintendo Power or something. They really hyped it for some reason. Maybe they were getting bribed or something. You did an excellent job running it, considering how awful it is, the game, not the run. Yes vote. Ending is just as terrible too, sheesh...
Phear my uber gimpyness!
Active player (277)
Oh, whoops, I had this game confused with Cybernator for a second there.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
I don't think I agree with the premise that a beating a difficult game makes a good TAS. It is exepected that a difficult game can be easily beaten using tools. Seeing such a game beaten makes for an interesting CONSOLE. For a TAS, the game has to be more than beaten. It needs to show something extraordinary. As for this run, I am not sure. I was entertained a lot of the time, but often I was not. Ultimately, the thing that bugged me was how much you had to wait. I know that isn't your fault but it is disappointing that a perfect/near perfect run would have so much stopping & waiting. I am not sure what to vote. BTW, I found the lack of music strangely relaxing :)
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Former player
This run was very entertaining to watch mainly because you took an incredibly difficult game and made it look very easy. After seeing the game's ending, I'm glad I never tried to play it trough to the end.
Joe
I'd vote yes on this one. While it wasn't always entertaining, the short length of the run makes it not so bad and its, and from what I can tell the run seems to be perfect, or at least near perfect. The game itself seems to have been made on a shoestring budget. Looks like a cheap arcade port
Skilled player (1402)
adelikat wrote:
I don't think I agree with the premise that a beating a difficult game makes a good TAS. It is exepected that a difficult game can be easily beaten using tools. Seeing such a game beaten makes for an interesting CONSOLE. For a TAS, the game has to be more than beaten. It needs to show something extraordinary.
I totally agree with this. The ship moved really slow which wasn't helping either. The movie was ok in completing the game, but didn't really show anything special or unexpected. Surely normal speedrunning couldn't achive this time, but I doubt that it would be really far off. I'm also not really sure what to vote. Movie is ok, but besides the game being really bad, it's also not very well suited for a TAS... so I'm voting no.
adelikat
He/Him
Well, I have watched it 3 more times. Its biggest advantage is that it is short so I am not bored all that much. Baxter makes an excellent point, this movie doesn't show much that a console performance wouldn't; just more precise. Therefore this movie really just shows how complete a game. While that is nice, it is typically not enough for publication. The run itself is certainly good quality and seems on par with Randil's usual great work. Ufnortunately, I will be voting no though, sorry.
Post subject: Re: #951: Randil's NES Cybernoid: The Fighting Machine in 04:46.47
NesVideoAgent wrote:
There is no music in this game, which is really bad. So put on some good music while watching this run, it will probably make it more entertaining to watch! :)
There is music on the actual cart, apparently just poor emulation.
Post subject: Re: #951: Randil's NES Cybernoid: The Fighting Machine in 04:46.47
Skilled player (1885)
scaryice wrote:
NesVideoAgent wrote:
There is music on the actual cart, apparently just poor emulation.
You seem to be right, in this youtube video this game appears to have music. However, neither FCEU or FCEUX emulates music in this game, and both runs on SDA are without music. How strange...
adelikat
He/Him
Interesting! What about Nestopia or Nintendulator?
Skilled player (1885)
adelikat wrote:
Interesting! What about Nestopia or Nintendulator?
To make things even more interesting, Nestopia emulates music for this game! So it does indeed seem to be inaccurate emulation in FCEU and FCEUX. The ROM I'm using has ROM checksum d58bcbb33d4648bb61e4ae06791a3e31.
adelikat
He/Him
The lack of music had a significant impact on the judging of this submission. I find that ironic. Should we get this bug fixed, I think this deserves resubmitting and a fair trial.
Post subject: More than you wanted to know about this "bug"
adelikat
He/Him
Ok, thanks to CaH4e3 for figuring this out. The game can not have both music and sound FX at the same time. You press select then A to toggle between them. Either there is a bug in the game or the ROM dump that causes bad opcode. Nestopia handles this by emulating a bus conflict like the real NES hardware would deal with the situation. This causes 1 (music by default) to be written to 0x5fb. FCEU/FCEUX did not do this and thus 0 (sound FX by default) was written instead. Music by default is more accurate to how the real NES hardware would deal with it. Thus, FCEUX has been fixed to do this as well. In the latest SVN (and the next release) the music will play by default in this game. However, that still doesn't change much about this TAS, either you have no music or no sound FX, no music is probably the correct choice in this case.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, stale!
Site Admin, Skilled player (1235)
Pressing select and A in last fceux doesn't change anything. GIVE ME BACK MY MUSIC
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2121] NES Cybernoid: The Fighting Machine by Randil in 04:46.47