• Recorded with FCEU 0.98.13
  • Uses death as shortcut
  • Luck manipulation
  • Fastest time to reach the ending
The speedy warrior "!" is back after a year, to repeat his quest faster than ever.
Changes from Genisto's last run (18:43):
  1. Didn't buy herbs, went first against all 4 metal slimes, took a different path to get Erdrick's Token: 27 seconds saved
  2. Faster Goldman fight: 1 second (70 frames)
  3. Faster Axe Knight fight: 1-2 seconds (100 frames)
  4. Faster Dragonlord fight: 2 seconds
  5. Other (luck manipulation): a few more frames
Total gain: 32.5 seconds
Other than the first part, the route through the game stayed the same ... everything new I could think of would have been slower, which I guess is a good thing if it means the run is very close to perfection.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #967: Acmlm's NES Dragon Warrior in 18:10.47
Active player (324)
Oh yeah.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
The boss fight is now bearable to watch! (*remembers genisto's first run...) This run is very close to perfection (about as close as an RPG can get) very nice (and of course a yes vote)
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
It's sad that after getting Erdrick's Armor, that dying, going to the castle and then going on back up isn't faster then simply walking all that way from Haukness :( Interesting new pathway you've developed and I especially liked it when "!" was tripping out and thought he was a Ballerina ;) Definite Yes vote here ^^ Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
Player (24)
adelikat wrote:
The boss fight is now bearable to watch! (*remembers genisto's first run...)
I think yes. Where he only damage him 1 HP every round after he changed into a Dragon. I think the fight takes 8 minutes and was very boring. Now its much better with the hurt spell. And its great, the MP points are 0 after the last cast. Great calculation. So yes vote from me too.
Last TAS finished: Final Fantasy Adventure (4.0 Warp Glitch Run) WIP in the moment: Tail Gator (GB) Matty
Banned User, Former player
I guess ! ate his wheaties today. (voting yes)
Perma-banned
Ambassador, Experienced player (696)
Took a break from playing DW8 to watch this and was very impressed. May the light shine on thee, Acmlm.
Very much agreed, a definite yes.
Player (104)
Oh yeah, that's definetly a yes from me. I see a couple areas that looked like they could be a little more optimized...but I've never fooled around with the luck in this game so maybe it really is the best it can be. When you're trying to get the metal slimes, did you try playing with the frames before the previous battle ended? I noticed that when I did my final fantasy run that waiting a frame before pushing "a" to leave the battle sometimes changed things to what I needed perfectly instead of waiting longer on the map. I noticed that you got the wings in a different place? How much time did that save? As far as I could see getting the wings where the other runs get them was much faster, considering that chest was right in the path. Perhaps I missed something?
Soft Blue Dragon
Experienced player (527)
Waiting before the last attack would affect it, I didn't try it but I'm guessing it'd be useful to make the next battle come sooner (1 tile per frame waited), which might save up to 2 seconds by not having to walk extra tiles (like for the last metal slime, I had already gone through the short area they show up in). The same effect can be gotten by idling on the map (unpaused), but it only works by multiples of 16 frames ... I did use that one for the metal slimes to avoid walking long ways or waiting longer, that's when I spin around. Pausing the game is different, each frame paused seems to randomize 87 times. As for the wings, that was also done in the previous run (Genisto's in 18:43) ... it's faster because it requires one less key and no exiting/entering Rimuldar, the path length is about the same.
Player (20)
Note for anyone who is um, afraid of the dark: The radiant code (00D0:7) and the uber-radiant code (00D0:16) can be used on this entire run without any desync.
The Japanese ladies are all very impressed with your run (yes, I'm serious). As am I, but that probably doesn't impress you as much. Still, I can vote and they can't, so that's another yes into the pile.
Active player (324)
hanzou wrote:
Note for anyone who is um, afraid of the dark: The radiant code (00D0:7) and the uber-radiant code (00D0:16) can be used on this entire run without any desync.
I tried the uber-radiant cheat and I got a few random encounters that weren't supposed to happen.
Experienced player (527)
00D0:07 shouldn't cause any desync, as I used that exact code through the run while making it (and my older ones) ... else it'd be hard to not only find my way, but also avoid battles (I have to pause at the exact frame before I reach the next tile). But I remember it desync'ed Genisto's run near the end (not sure why it would, the cheat is only a visual effect), and setting it any higher than 7 just looks weird anyway.
Active player (277)
Oh, I figured you just had an extra game running beside it that you could refer to for the correct map movements.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [469] NES Dragon Warrior by Acmlm in 18:10.47
Player (24)
There is an error. The movie is done from Acmlm as the Submission say. And not from Genisto which the news and the movie says.
Last TAS finished: Final Fantasy Adventure (4.0 Warp Glitch Run) WIP in the moment: Tail Gator (GB) Matty
Active player (410)
dragonwarrior-tasv3-genisto.avi.torrent rofl
Banned User, Former player
One would think that RPGs would be one of the least suitable genres for a TAS, but this one proves that concept wrong. (Of course it doesn't mean *all* RPGs are suitable, but at least some are, and the runs can actually be pretty interesting, such as in this case.)
Editor, Active player (296)
Sorry. Too many Jean-Francois. Human error.
Active player (410)
;)
Just finished the run. Love the boss battle, the whole run in general is entertaining :) You certainly haven't failed to impress me.
The video desyncs inside the castle, but up to then was pretty good.
Life is like a box of chocolates-when you want peanut butter, all you get is coconut.
kolechovski: Find a PRG1 ROM. The PRG0 ROM desyncs (an NPC crosses the character's path).