- Aims for fastest time
- Plays at hardest level
- Takes no damage
- Uses no passwords
- Genre: Platform
- Genre: Fighting
Played with Nitsuja's FCEU 0.98.13
Completed in 9:41 (34867 frames)
Choujin Sentai definitely is one of the best side-scrollers for NES, and I'm amazed there still are people who haven't played it.
The concept is simple and pretty addictive - choose ranger, lightly rush through a stage while listening to catchy music, then assemble into large shining mecha and knock out another big robot with your iron fists and plasma shots. Eh, it feels like good quintessence of 80's cartoons about transformers and heroes with superpowers. And the whole game follows this concept in every bit - from plot to graphics/sounds/gameplay. Also, Choujin Sentai features decent visuals in animation sequences, but this FCM movie doesn't show the whole grace of the game (because of time-saving), so... just play it youself if you've missed this masterpiece before. Playing won't take more than 20-25 minutes of your time, and it's worth experiencing it. As for me, no other game can evoke such strong sense of nostalgia as this one.
The game itself is pretty easy, but it's much harder to run it with no damage taken, especially during boss fights. To add some fun I've used button sequence (A+B+Start on title screen) to select "VERY HARD" mode.
This movie aims for fastest time and I doubt it can be improved by more than couple of frames. Unfortunately, there's no way to manupulate luck, because every enemy's patterns are predefined and they don't significally depend on player's actions. In boss fights there are moments that can be misjudged as luck manipulations, but actually they are not. Instead, there are ways to stop boss' intentions on early steps (it's like ComboBreak).
As for scrolling part of the game, I decided to choose only those rangers who can shoot projectiles, which help exterminate obstacles that need more than one hit. Also, such common feature as walking through enemies while they blink (after being hit) is used very frequently.
So, here is the result. Again, I strongly recommend to master the game before watching this movie.
UPDATE: Movie was improved.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #984: AnS's NES Choujin Sentai - Jetman in 09:41.12
Active player (277)
Hooray for Power Rangers! The main action of this game looks like Ninja Gaiden. But I haven't played either. Foda could probably review your run better, since he made a speed run of it not too long ago.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Player (24)
Voted yes. Looks well played and fast. But I don't know this game. Your describtion help me to a bit to understand some things. Why you choose only 2 different characters (blue and white). After read your discrition I understand the reason.
Last TAS finished: Final Fantasy Adventure (4.0 Warp Glitch Run) WIP in the moment: Tail Gator (GB) Matty
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
The game is incredibly easy, one of the easiest games on the NES. i beat it in 15 minutes on my first play of it (in easy mode). Then i made a speedrun in normal mode beating in 12:40 minutes... so it's easy. But i didn't know about the code for very hard mode. Starting with only 1 hp makes the game much more chalenging. I have one question and one complaint: - so the enemies in hard mode don't drop health upgrades? or they do? did you experiment taking damage to be pushed forward? i think the screen moves faster while he's being pushed forward, but then he stops for a while, i'm not sure if it's faster to do this. If not normally, then at least take damage on the places you had to stop. My opinion is that it's uninteresting to see a no damage run in this game, it's too simple, it's better to have this added takes damage to save time element. - there are some minor optimizations, like jumping before falling a ledge on a certain level.. ..........................____ you enter here->__..| ..............................|..| fall on this shaft->.|..| ..............................|..| ..............................|..| ..............................|..|___ ..............................|_____ -> and exit here i don't remember which level was this but it looked like you could have jumped before falling to avoid downwards acceleration. I liked every bit of the boss fights, and good character choice.
AnS
Emulator Coder, Experienced player (723)
FODA wrote:
I have one question and one complaint: - so the enemies in hard mode don't drop health upgrades? or they do?
Yes, in hard mode they don't drop health, only eagle's sign (which is useless in speedrun).
FODA wrote:
did you experiment taking damage to be pushed forward? i think the screen moves faster while he's being pushed forward, but then he stops for a while, i'm not sure if it's faster to do this.
I tried it, but it's definitely slower - those stops eat more time than pushing forward gives, so you end up with 2+ frames lost (not mentioning health losing). That's why I planned to take no damage - consider it just side-effect of primary aim).
FODA wrote:
My opinion is that it's uninteresting to see a no damage run in this game, it's too simple, it's better to have this added takes damage to save time element.
I made several runs before this final one and I'm sure I used the best time-saving strategy. Also, i thought that taking no damage in boss fights is somewhat unexpected for thit game.
FODA wrote:
- there are some minor optimizations, like jumping before falling a ledge on a certain level.. ..........................____ you enter here->__..| ..............................|..| fall on this shaft->.|..| ..............................|..| ..............................|..| ..............................|..|___ ..............................|_____ -> and exit here i don't remember which level was this but it looked like you could have jumped before falling to avoid downwards acceleration.
Thanks for advice, but it's impossible to jump properly in this place (it's level 6) mainly because of lack of space for rising phase of jump . :( I'm thinking about boss fights optimization - several frames can be saved by making last hit while jumping to the left... maybe I'll try it soon.
Former player
Whoa... you just hit my nostalgic string there. I remember playing this game as a kid, long, long ago. It was borrowed. Back then it was a nameless game, since none of us ("us" being me and my friends) could read Japanese characters at all. Time passed, and the game got lost. Several years later, when I learned about emulation, I tried looking for a ROM of it, but all attempts were unsuccessful, since we never actually got to know how this game was called! It was kind of frustrating. Until now. Thank you for unearthing this cool little obscure game, and revealing its name in the process, which was all I needed to find the rom. Thank you for allowing me to retrieve yet one more part of my childhood. As for the run, it was great. There were no mistakes as far as I could tell. Voted Yes, of course ;)
Active player (277)
You mean you didn't know about Power Rangers?!?
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
Hm. I don't think I would agree that this is one of the best side-scrollers for NES. Seems like very standard running and shooting to me. Not much variation in enemies or level layout. The bosses are boring (and ugly, but that's the fault of Power Rangers and not this game) in my opinion. It looks like it's well played anyhow.
Former player
Bag of Magic Food wrote:
You mean you didn't know about Power Rangers?!?
Um... these are NOT the Power Rangers. Sure, they look a lot like them, but that's because it's the same genre (the Super Sentai genre, which is very, very popular in Japan). The super sentai genre consists of a super heroic squad of generally five people dressed in alike suits, each of them associated to some color (red, blue, white, etc.), and they tend to make lots of poses when talking and all. Power Rangers is just one of those series, but there are lots more in their country of origin -Japan. And they all look so similar that sometimes you'll hardly tell the difference between them. Here, I googled Jetman and found some more info on this series:
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Academy/6396/JETMAN.HTM wrote:
Chojin Sentai Jetman (Birdman Task Force Jetman - Jetman) 1990 - Created by Saburo Yatsude - 51 episodes JETMAN deals with the struggle of the Jetman team, five people who were hit by a raybeam which gave them special powers, Ryu (Red Falcon), Akko (Yellow Owl), Kaori (White Swan), Gai (Black Condor) and Raita (Blue Swallow), against the Byram empire, led by Byram, Mariya (Red Falcon's former girlfriend), Tran and Gray, a robot. Of course, there's always the same episode structure: monster defeated by a cannon, monster brought to life in a titan size, giant monster defeated by giant robot etc. This is one of the rare recent Sentai series which has tried to break with the tradition. It has a real comic streak: the plots are so silly and the monsters are meant to be funny -a hair-dryer monster, a pot-noodle creature and so on. (...)
Anyway, I originally played this game in 1992, if my memory serves me well. I knew nothing about the Power Rangers nor the Super Sentai genre back then.
Player (36)
Heh, reminds me of the cell phone Sentai I saw last year. Also, in the Japanese version of the original power rangers the yellow ranger was a guy. </off-topic>
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
Active player (277)
Well yeah, Power Rangers mostly just takes the fight scenes out of Super Sentai to make its shows, but I like to call Super Sentai "Power Rangers" anyway because it's catchy.
Not the power rangers?! "Go go chojin sentai, you birdman-task-force...' eh, maybe not. I suppose somebody ought to find a captain planet game now.