Emulator used: FCEU 0.98.15 rerecording Needs L+R enabled
Aims for fastest time Takes damage to save time Abuses programming errors in the game (clipping, L+R) Manipulates luck
This is my final version of this run. I don't think I can get any more out of it. It's 492 frames (8.2 seconds) faster than the published version. It's actually my fourth version of the run all told. I submitted the first at 11:14, had a second at 11:10 that changed routes in a couple of screens and optimized a bit, then a third at 11:07 after I discovered that L+R works and gives you some interesting options in controlling your jumps. Neither the second nor third were submitted. I made some changes to the third one and ended up with this.
L+R puts you at full speed moving right, even in midair when you're faced the wrong way. This allows for some nice tricks. See the second to last screen of 4-3, and last screen of 5-2. It also allows me to climb up walls with a 2-frame cycle instead of a 4-frame one, when on the left side of the wall, at least. It's not actually faster it does give me more accurate jumping-off points. Also, you may not be able to tell, but L+R is critical to my new strategy on the level 3 boss. Without it the jump where I use the sword would pull me badly out of position. With that trick, that fight sparkles.
Surprisingly, though, most of my time saved comes from much more accurate transitions to and from walls and ladders. It's probably at least half the total time difference. Some of this is aided by L+R, but not all of it. Between my first and second run, for instance, before I used L+R at all, I gained at least 6 frames on every screen of 5-3 just from better ladder usage.
In the latest version I also had very friendly luck and was able to gain about a second by taking damage to boost myself to ladders in two different places. This just happened to work out perfectly, without me even having to manipulate it, and it looks very nice.
Anyway, enjoy.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #986: Slotermeyer's NES Ninja Gaiden 1 in 11:05.82
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
*picks jaw up off of the floor *votes yes I can't believe you squeezed ANOTHER 8 seconds out of this game :O The "moon walking" was priceless (I assume it is a L+R thing) BTW, I love watches in wall climb in these movies, I never get tired of it :)
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Well that was an easy yes vote Good show old chap
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [487] NES Ninja Gaiden by Slotermeyer in 11:05.82
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
All I have to say is...where did this one come from? Totally unexpected. ^^;;
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
it's unbelievable that it takes people 11 minutes to beat this game where I can't even beat it in almost 20 years :( thanks for sharing this video ^_^
Holy crap. This got published before I even noticed the submission! I still don't like L+R, but this was definitely a more varied and interesting run than the previous version. I like the fact that you used some other weapons, for instance. It just looks like a more well-rounded run. I like it.
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
I thought I just didn't notice in the previous run, but I like how this run uses more special weapons than jump-and-slash.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
hey there I've been working on a run for this all night, but turns out yours is 1 second faster :P I was just wondering, what's this "L+R" you're talking about
Player (97)
L+R means to hold left and right at the same time. It tends to do somewhat different stuff in different games. For a very extreme example see the short Zelda II run. Here it just pushes you to the right.
Ambassador, Experienced player (696)
Of course this was pretty sweet, the speed is amazing. So L+R gets you negates the backward jumping penalty. In NG2 it lets you go through walls. Anyway, in NG3 hammering the A button actually gives a slight increase to midair backwards movement, but it's definitely not full speed. If you can figure out any more ninja glitches feel free to do some other NG games.