• Recorded with FCEU 0.98.15
  • Fastest time to clear the hardest level
  • 2 players
  • Luck manipulation
I've wanted to do this run long ago (soon after my first Tetris run) and tried it a few times back then (2:36 and 1:43), but I finally got around to do it again, with a large improvement over the old ones.
Quarth might be best described as a mix of a shooter and Tetris. You control a ship that moves horizontally at the bottom, and shoot incoming blocks or groups of blocks (adding tiles to them) to give them a rectangular shape and make them disappear. Each level scrolls at an increasing speed until you reach the end, and you lose if a block reaches the line floating above the ship.
In this run, 2 players unite in tag mode to clear the hardest level (9) together. (a full run of all levels would just be the same thing 10 times, since only the autoscrolling speed changes)
Luck is heavily abused all the way through to only get the simpler block sequences, saving a lot of time since I can push the scrolling (holding Up) more often. Which buttons I press, when and how long (at any time) all affect what I get, but it's still hard to get exactly what I want, for a few reasons:
  • Luck manipulation might be needed while I'm moving and shooting, which gets in the way
  • There's at least a few dozen possible block sequences, and some are bigger than others
  • I can't see what I get until it scrolls in
What I got might not be quite optimal, but still made a huge difference ... the run would have been about twice as long without this, and you'll easily notice how much harder it normally is if you try the game by yourself.

adelikat: Quality movie, entertaining game, and good response from voters. Accepting for publication.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1001: Acmlm's NES Quarth in 01:01.45
Player (84)
I get a really bad desync and you die at the third block. around frame: 530.
Skilled player (1402)
It works fine for me. You do need a relatively new version of fceu (0.98.13 at least, 0.98.15 preferable). Your rom checksum should also match. I'm sure it will work then.
Player (24)
Voted Yes. I know more the GameBoy Version and played this in the past. But its near the same gameplay. Only different, you get Items which will help you. And I think in the GameBoy Version the block are not random. So no need to manipulate luck by this version. But not 100% sure anymore. And I think it was only a 1 Player game. This run here looks fast and the luck manipulation worked good. Edit: I use fceu-0.98.12-blip.win and this work great too.
Last TAS finished: Final Fantasy Adventure (4.0 Warp Glitch Run) WIP in the moment: Tail Gator (GB) Matty
Skilled player (1402)
Well... if it's not the rom version, or the fceu version, it might be that you don't have second controller input enabled.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
I played it on nitsuja's new fceu and it desync quickly. Then i played it on blip's fceu and it went fine. Nice movie. I wouldn't think this game had an ending.. And the gameplay looks impressive, yes.
Skilled player (1402)
I thought of improving this, but the strategy I wanted to use didn't turn out as good as I thought it was. I might give it another try later on, but not for now. Nice movie, voting yes.
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1300)
FODA wrote:
I played it on nitsuja's new fceu and it desync quickly. Then i played it on blip's fceu and it went fine.
Are you sure you got 0.98.15? This movie was made in that version so it can't be a problem with that, unless you're using something older. It worked fine for me on all the versions I have...
Banned User, Former player
Yes vote. GREAT indeed. Short enough to not be repitive, and just weird how you came close to death so many times.
Perma-banned
Former player
Voting yes. Well played for such a simple game.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
Impressive & short. Yes vote.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Joe
Good call on only choosing the most difficult level. It makes the run less monotonous. It definitely seems you went through the level as fast as possible. Seems worthy of publishing
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [550] NES Quarth "2 players" by Acmlm in 01:01.45