Submission Text Full Submission Page
  • FCEU 0.98.13
  • Takes no damage (yes, it is possible!)
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Manipulates luck

With that out of the way, I'll copy and paste a quick, rather humourous review of the game:
OK, so this isn't exactly a true-to-life, exciting in any way game as far as pure pinball goes. And maybe this isn't really much of an RPG. But I hate the majority of RPG's. Turn-based, random battles are simply not the way video games were meant to be played. But take that out, and throw in a pinball, some flippers, a boat, and all kinds of great random nonsense, and then you're getting somewhere. Let's just say that Jaleco put forth a completely one-of-a-kind game with this baby. Now, for sanity's sake, let us hope it is never attempted again.
Righto. Now here's some interesting bits about the levels themselves:

Level 1

It may look like I hit the ghost later than I could, but that's near the first frame (if not the first) you can. Hitting him does nothing before this, so I had some fun and bopped random things while waiting.
The enemies themselves were nothing amusing, I just tried to have some fun with them instead of holding onto the ball and bopping them over and over -- at one point I hit two at once, and another time I get the ball to go through a tree... The boss wasn't much different, although I did have to shake the table to get the ball where I wanted it...
Like the rest of the levels, the closer you are to the level exit when you lose control, the faster the level ends, so I try to get as close as possible when it's over.

Level 2

This was very frustrating to do, but came out pretty well. I manage to hit the Witch twice in a row, twice, and then stop her from healing... you're supposed to destroy that weird thing in the top right (so she can't heal), but I ignore it and just keep smacking her with the ball. There really is nothing special about this level...

Level 3

This was slightly better; the goblin was suprisingly cooperative (I didn't kill him and he didn't lob it back at me, basically)... leading to a very fast climb to the second area.
The boss doesn't move until you've killed 7 of the little knights in front of him, and those knights take 2 hits (yellow) or 3 hits (red). I try and hit as many as possible at once, or just get the ball back to me as fast as possible.
I couldn't get a good shot on the boss after a while of trying (I kept missing or it'd take too long to get back to me), so I just hit him once over and over.

Intermission

First time I don't ignore the shopkeeper! I put on my beanie and go steal some strong flippers, that do double damage... too bad it was so dark I couldn't get the devil ones, for quadruple damage.
(okay, really... the randomness seems to be generated before even going in there, so I couldn't do much about it. Hence why I had to get the flippers here, and not earlier)

Level 4

The timing in this level was unbelievably perfect -- normally, you have to kill the turtle on the small ramp to the roulette, but if your timing is good you'll just go onto it and not have to worry about it (like I did). On the boss fight, the second-to-last knight is extremely boring compared to the rest, but it's followed up with a nice triple hit afterwards, so I'm not too unhappy. Other than that, nothing else really stands out.

Level 5

I tried over and over to get it in the hole right away, nothing worked, so I just did the Next Best Thing. I get the potion for no reason (it wasn't out of the way) and then proceed to whap the fake princess/bat over and over.
I manage to get the ball inside the 'throne', and then hit it twice (with a lot of tilting) shortly after.

Level 6

This boss seemed pathetically easy, especially given how he never attacked or anything -- usually he'll attack you and (suprise!) throw you back down a level... but here he just sit back, relaxed, and died. I wish all bosses were this easy.

Notes

This movie might end a few frames too late, but I couldn't seem to shave them off; it's only maybe 10 frames at the most, so I didn't worry about it.
Other than that, this is my first TAS, and hopefully it doesn't suck all that much. The random, seemingly out-of-nowhere flipper movements probably helped the timing or were just me messing around out of boredom -- and some kept me from falling off the table.
In closing, I got rediculously lucky with some of my hits, and usually even misses helped me line up an even better shot right after. This game is hard to do as a small mistake can take a long time to notice, which probably took most of my time. Blah.

Desync Help

Aparrently this game is cursed to only work in 75% of emulation attempts. Various methods have been tried, but those that seem to work, in order:
  1. Clean, fresh FCEU
  2. Renaming the ROM
  3. Trying my config file or FCEU version, in the forum
  4. Kicking your computer
Results may vary.

Edit: added Desync section May09: canceled in favor of newer submission.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1009: Xkeeper's NES Pinball Quest in 05:23.90
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1300)
Could you post a link to the specific FCEU version you used? I can't get this movie to play for more than 40 seconds in any version I've kept...
Banned User, Former player
Huh, well that didn't change the behavior, so it probably wasn't a version problem. Are you able to watch your own movie (downloaded from the submission) play back to the ending?
nitsuja wrote:
Huh, well that didn't change the behavior, so it probably wasn't a version problem. Are you able to watch your own movie (downloaded from the submission) play back to the ending?
Yep, and so was a test subject who has never used the emulator before. (I made sure of this when I first submitted; my movie is ... considerably larger in filesize than it should be for unknown reasons) Edit: Can you post a screenshot of the desync after a few seconds?
Perma-banned
Xkeeper wrote:
Can you post a screenshot of the desync after a few seconds?
nitsuja wrote:
Xkeeper wrote:
Can you post a screenshot of the desync after a few seconds?
Last resort: config file
Perma-banned
Xkeeper wrote:
Last resort: config file
I think you meant fceu98.cfg, fceu.cfg isn't used note: if this still doesn't work, the next possibility would be a ROM that's different but somehow has an identical checksum
nitsuja wrote:
I think you meant fceu98.cfg, fceu.cfg isn't used
dsjdgdgadgsdjkkhgsa
Perma-banned
Player (104)
Heh, Hey Xkeeper. Bet you still have no idea what that little blurb I said in your quote means. I'd love to hear this. :P:P
Soft Blue Dragon
DonamerDragon wrote:
Heh, Hey Xkeeper. Bet you still have no idea what that little blurb I said in your quote means. I'd love to hear this. :P:P
I know what it means. One of my internet buds happens to be furry and has dropped that word on more than one occasion.
Perma-banned
Player (104)
Xkeeper wrote:
DonamerDragon wrote:
I know what it means. One of my internet buds happens to be furry and has dropped that word on more than one occasion.
Haha! Alright, just so you know it looks kinda funny. ;)
Soft Blue Dragon
DonamerDragon wrote:
Xkeeper wrote:
DonamerDragon wrote:
Haha! Alright, just so you know it looks kinda funny. ;)
It's a placeholder until I get something better.
Perma-banned
Former player
As a sad attempt to divert from this topic from becoming a fchan/FA bashfest or something, I think I should actually say something about the movie. Good stuff but if you're ever to replay this, you should experiement on where the steal results are determined, I bet the movie would be sped up a great deal if you were to get the Devil Flippers after the first stage. Yes regardless.
AnotherGamer wrote:
As a sad attempt to divert from this topic from becoming a fchan/FA bashfest or something, I think I should actually say something about the movie. Good stuff but if you're ever to replay this, you should experiement on where the steal results are determined, I bet the movie would be sped up a great deal if you were to get the Devil Flippers after the first stage. Yes regardless.
And generally optimize other parts. I might look into redoing this when I leave for WoS III on Monday.
Perma-banned
Still desyncs after the first boss for me even with that cfg and a correct checksum.
KDR_11k wrote:
Still desyncs after the first boss for me even with that cfg and a correct checksum.
What is causing all of these desyncs..? It's weird.
Perma-banned
This is bizarre. It plays fine if I rename the pinball quest ROM to anything else than "Pinball Quest (U).nes", but if it's called that then it always desyncs. FCEU version isn't making a difference, location of the ROM doesn't matter and of course its contents aren't changing. I think the contents of the "Recent ROMs" menu must be changing (or corrupting) some variable used for emulation... Anyway, I ended up watching it without desync in FCEU 0.98.15 with my cfg file and a renamed rom.
nitsuja wrote:
This is bizarre. It plays fine if I rename the pinball quest ROM to anything else than "Pinball Quest (U).nes", but if it's called that then it always desyncs. FCEU version isn't making a difference, location of the ROM doesn't matter and of course its contents aren't changing. I think the contents of the "Recent ROMs" menu must be changing (or corrupting) some variable used for emulation...
GHOSTS ARE INVADING NITSUJA'S COMPUTERS!!!@(*%!% OH, NO!!! (conclusion: I have no humor)
Perma-banned
Okay, watched it fine up to the ending with 0.98.15-rerecording. (and indeed the rom was named Pinball Quest (U).nes) At least the concept to this game is odd. Throw in the usual RPG-cliches and make it a pinball game? Well, it seems to be well played, but I really can't tell with the ball going through solid stuff and all. It's nice and short also, you get right to the princess rescuing stuff. Is level 2 shorter than the rest or did you skip some stuff in the beginning? Looked like you went straight for the boss. And also, what's the deal with the GIANT MAGNET in the ending? Is this part of the game or the ending? I'll vote yes, because this game is gonna keep viewers hooked for the 5 mins asking themselves who designed this game and what were they smoking at the time. Good job.
"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." ( Pratchett & Gaiman: Good Omens )
Tombad wrote:
Okay, watched it fine up to the ending with 0.98.15-rerecording. (and indeed the rom was named Pinball Quest (U).nes) At least the concept to this game is odd. Throw in the usual RPG-cliches and make it a pinball game? Well, it seems to be well played, but I really can't tell with the ball going through solid stuff and all. It's nice and short also, you get right to the princess rescuing stuff. Is level 2 shorter than the rest or did you skip some stuff in the beginning? Looked like you went straight for the boss. And also, what's the deal with the GIANT MAGNET in the ending? Is this part of the game or the ending? I'll vote yes, because this game is gonna keep viewers hooked for the 5 mins asking themselves who designed this game and what were they smoking at the time. Good job.
Ball going through solid things: Beats me, but it's absoloutely hilarious when it happens. Level 2: The game deposits you at the top right away -- starting you from the bottom would've pissed everyone off (it SUCKS there.) The boss is available right at the start, anyway -- why not beat the living purple out of it? GIANT MAGNET MAN: I have no idea. Everything after the pinball moving (on its own) to the center of the screen when the boss' health hits 0 is the ending. I assume the GIANT MAGNET was the evil mastermind behind it all, given that this was a. a kingdom of pinballs b. pinballs are metal c. magnet + metal = fun so I don't know. I want whatever Jaleco was smoking, though. That stuff must be fun. :D
Perma-banned
We love Jaleco!
Perma-banned
Hm, renaming did nothing. After the first boss dies and the ball is shot into the field from the left hole it goes past the flippers and falls through the bottom. The flippers go up one frame too late, maybe there was lag involved somehow.
Player (24)
Same problem here. Desync. I rename the ROM, the Movie file and use the Config from this thread here. Nothing work. Desync always at the same time. After the 1. Boss battle. To this point the movie looks well done. Never hear from this game before. But I like Pinball games and RPG games. So I hope enough people can see this movie and vote yes, that I can see later the AVI file and the complete game, which looke very interesting.
Last TAS finished: Final Fantasy Adventure (4.0 Warp Glitch Run) WIP in the moment: Tail Gator (GB) Matty
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
the movie worked fine for me without renaming anything, using nitsuja's fceu. the game is good, but i do think it could be better manipulated to hit the enemies faster. i look forward to an improved version, i will vote no.