Submission Text Full Submission Page
  • FCE Ultra 0.98.12
  • Manipulate luck
  • Teasing Bluto! In other words, I'm playing with death
  • Abuses programming errors in the game. When I'm standing on the "air"
  • Fast as possible
  • Smashing skulls and bottles for fun
  • Playing on the hardest level
Hi! I remember when i submitted a run on this game before. A long time ago when me and my friend "KameZa" had a common username. Didn't go so well back at that time....Anyway! I have improved the old record with 6 seconds. I'ts funnier to watch, (I think you'll agree) when you see this. I'm not taking any spinach (and I hope you'll forgive me for that) cause it did take too long when you'll eat that is my opinion. Anyway I'm killing the birds at least at level 3! Hope you think thats enough! Enough with empty words from me. Have fun!

Bisqwit: For reference, the previous submission is here.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1025: Diman's NES Popeye in 03:31.32
Editor, Active player (296)
Watched it. It was much better than the last time. When I judge it from the "is this movie flawless" perspective, my answer (rounded to the nearest boolean value) is "yes". You also utilized the wait times more interestingly than in the previous movie. However, when I judge it from the "does this movie deserve to be published" perspective, my answer is "no". I'll explain why: It is not an impressive movie. Yes, you kill lots of enemies and complete the game without delays, but it is not obvious that TAS tools have been used to achieve that goal. It looks like a trained player could do the same. There exists no competition for this game. I originally rejected NES Donkey Kong movies for the same reasons I'm using here. They are not very interesting games, and there was no competition for them. However, when competition prominently presented itself, I reconsidered that position. Currently / so far, the aim of my site is not to archive videos for every possible videogame in the existence (though I admit it seems to be slowly, coincidentally, heading into that direction). My vote is "no", but I may be persuaded into publishing this if good reasons enough are presented.
Bisqwit wrote:
When I judge it from the "is this movie flawless" perspective, my answer (rounded to the nearest boolean value) is "yes". You also utilized the wait times more interestingly than in the previous movie. However, when I judge it from the "does this movie deserve to be published" perspective, my answer is "no".
Well, actually a movie should be judged by the "Did you like watching this movie"-perspective because that's what the question asks. And my answer would be no (can't vote yet). Not because of any mistakes or something like that; just because I disliked watching the game. It's boring. And by the way: I would totally agree to change the movie question into "Does this movie derserve to be published?"
Active player (410)
Voting No because you don't like the game is o_O. What's wrong if he played it flawlessly? Donkey Kong is boring but is more popular than supposed "excellent" games here. Popeye is also a classic.
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
Phil>Voting No because you don't like the game is o_O. Rules>The movie must be interesting Guidelines>Select your game well. Not all games have potential for entertaining movies. Select the one that give you the best chance to do something absolutely stunning. The Question>Did you like watching this movie? I guess that's my way of saying "no, it's not exactly o_O". I didn't find this movie interesting to watch, and the speed of completion only seems to depend on when the last item is dropped.
Phil wrote:
Voting No because you don't like the game is o_O. What's wrong if he played it flawlessly? Donkey Kong is boring but is more popular than supposed "excellent" games here. Popeye is also a classic.
I never said I don't like the game. I said I don't like watching the game. So nothing's wrong. But in my opinion watching this game is boring and that's the simple reason why I would have voted "no" (I didn't because I cant') although it is definitely flawlessly-played. The question remains "Did you like watching this movie?" and that's my simple answer. And I really don't care if a game is a classic...Donkey Kong is also very boring to watch...(your run is well-done, but, again, boring to watch) (I would be interested in the GameBoy-version because Mario has so many moves and jumps, but the game is really long) But maybe this movie should get a chance because the Donkey Kong games have also been published.
Yes, somewhat boring. Like Truncated pasted from the Guidlines: "Not all games have potential for entertaining movies. Select the one that give you the best chance to do something absolutely stunning." I'm voting for Meh because of those close call situations and the floating bug in the last level, which made the run worth watching once. (plus this is a classic game :P ...okay it has nothing to do why exactly this run should get published :))
Which run should I encode next? :)
Active player (410)
Truncated wrote:
Rules>The movie must be interesting Guidelines>Select your game well. Not all games have potential for entertaining movies. Select the one that give you the best chance to do something absolutely stunning. I guess that's my way of saying "no, it's not exactly o_O".
Then, many published movies fail to respect that rule Mr. "no".
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
>Then, many published movies fail to respect that rule Mr. "no". I agree. But being boring is a subjective judgement too. You know that's not what this was about anyway. You implied that boring was a bad reason to vote no, and I showed you that this wasn't the case.
Former player
Very well played. I especially liked Popeye moving around his arch nemesis (Brutus?) all the time, constantly defying all sorts of dangers. Lots of nostalgic value in here too. Fun and entertaining, I found this movie to be. *thumbs up* Voted "Yes".
I agree with this game being best suited for a speedrun, but still I think this run was well done and worthy of publication. Yes vote.
spockybiemmichab wrote:
Phil wrote:
And I really don't care if a game is a classic...Donkey Kong is also very boring to watch...(your run is well-done, but, again, boring to watch)
I find the Donkey Kong movie amazing, how he merely walks around the levels while every barrel and flame tries hard to avoid him, looking more like a Chuck Norris game than a Mario one. Seriously, a game that is a minute long is never "very boring to watch". I think a better example would be Kung Fu Master, which is truly there solely for competition purposes.
No.
Player (57)
Hope this movie come to the moviepage. Thanks for the yes votes!
Skilled player (1402)
Bisqwit wrote:
It looks like a trained player could do the same.
This is why I'm voting no. For the popeye game, the movie isn't bad (alot better than the previous version)... but since the only real thing you have to do to complete the game is wait (and not getting killed of course) getting a time like this is also possible on a real console. Diman: I think you should post at the forum what game you are planning to tas. Maybe even consider posting wips. You can get an idea how people are feeling about your movie.
Former player
Baxter wrote:
Bisqwit wrote:
It looks like a trained player could do the same.
This is why I'm voting no. For the popeye game, the movie isn't bad (alot better than the previous version)... but since the only real thing you have to do to complete the game is wait (and not getting killed of course) getting a time like this is also possible on a real console. Diman: I think you should post at the forum what game you are planning to tas. Maybe even consider posting wips. You can get an idea how people are feeling about your movie.
Just the words I was going to use, nothing impressive in this run. Voting no.
Baxter basically summarized what I wanted to say. It doesn't look impressive. I'm not implying the play is flawed in any way, but the game lends itself to moviepurposes as well as any sidescroller does. The game has too many boring sequences where you just wait for the object for the level in question to drop. Sure, you can play around with the enemies, but in a limited enviroment game like this you exhaust your options quite quickly. I'll go for no, because of bad game choice for movie purposes.
"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." ( Pratchett & Gaiman: Good Omens )
Active player (277)
Maybe you should suggest a new game for Diman!
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Player (223)
Suggestion for Diman: Improve Rockin' Kats.
<adelikat> I've been quoted with worse
Active player (253)
Better suggestion for Diman: Post the WIPs for feedback before you do the whole thing. It's sad to see all his efforts go to waste.
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcuV2JdaBYY]Streets of Rage 3 (2 players)[/url]
Skilled player (1402)
Bablo wrote:
Suggestion for Diman: Improve Rockin' Kats.
I agree, but I would say: Suggestion for Diman: Improve Rockin' Kats and show wips after each level. Rockin' Kats truly is a perfect game for tasing. Diman should be proud of having the movie of it, even though it is the least downloaded movie on the site (I have no idea why this is, since I watched this tas quite often). I'm currently very busy with other things, but since I like Rockin' Kats, and think the current tas could get a nice improvement, I would consider tasing it in the far future. However, it would be even better if Diman improved it, so I'm definately voting for that!
Player (84)
Ok well.. this is my opinion. The movie is played well. The movie is short. It was nice to watch once i knew what in the world was going on. It wasn't all that boring. But on the other hand, the game is really bad and pointless. as soon as you finish it it starts over again?.. terrible. But because of its length, I see nothing wrong with this getting published. Voting yes.
I agree with Vatchern Yes vote!
But on the other hand, the game is really bad and pointless. as soon as you finish it it starts over again?.. terrible. Of course, so you can keep increasing your score.
Player (57)
Nice when some people like this TAS! Thought that everyone was going to criticize this movie.
Former player
For the reason above I'm going to do one last TAS on this game.
Shouldn't you cancel this then?