Track times (gain over previous run)
0 ― 37.50 (1.42)
1 ― 39.21 (4.53)
2 ― 40.43 (4.78)
3 ― 42.00 (2.59)
4 ― 41.04 (3.69)
5 ― 31.76 (4.75)
I figured out some of the programming for this game, which allowed me to discover various tricks to preserve speed.
First, I found out where your speed is kept in memory, so I could watch my speed while I played. This was very useful, obviously. For example, in level 2, I found out it is just barely worth it to slow down so you can hit the 2nd ramp (about .24 pixels per frame speed is gained).
The most important thing I noticed is that input affecting your speed is only checked every four frames. So, you only have to push B every 4th frame, which prevents engine overheating. When you're in the air, you only need to press Right every 4th frame to maintain your speed.
Now, input affecting the slant of your bike is also only checked once in a while. In the air, it's every 4 frames since you last inputted something changing the slant of your bike. On the ground, it's every 6 frames (or 13 if you're doing a big wheelie). In this run, I tried to keep this slant-timer out of synch with the speed-timer, so that I could slant my bike however I wanted without losing speed. Sometimes when you see me doing a wheelie before going over a ramp, it's to keep the slant-timer and speed-timer out of synch.
Besides simply avoiding speed loss, knowing these input timers also allows for some nice tricks. Left and Right affect your bike's arc while in the air, so I was able to greatly lengthen or shorten my jumps. If you jump too high, you'll wrap around to the bottom of the screen, and then eventually end up back on the track. I use this to my advantage to hit some ramps I wouldn't have been able to hit otherwise (for example, hitting all three ramps on the second lap of tracks 0 and 1).
Fun facts: Your usual max speed is 3.25 pixels per frame. Going over a ramp increases your speed by 1 pixel per frame. If your speed exceeds about 8 pixels per frame, there will be some graphical glitches eventually--this happens a couple times in my run. I get up to 9.25 pixels per frame in the final race.
For reference, here's the memory addresses I used:
0094 (high byte) and 0090 (low byte) are your speed
00B0 is whether you are in the air
0026 is the slant-timer. When this is 0 or 1, your input will be accepted for changing the slant of your bike.
004C is the speed-timer. When this is 3, your input will be accepted for affecting your speed.
0098 is whether you are crashing :)

Bisqwit: Accepting for publication to replace the previous short Excitebike movie.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1035: Luke's NES Excitebike in 05:35.38
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
awesome work, man, kudos!!! your bike seems to be made of cotton hehe i wonder what motivated you to search for a memory address that showed the bike speed, is there a memory address that shows mario speed in super mario 1 ??? O_O you've been doing some quality stuff here, i hope you make more movies, man, gj.
Active player (277)
FODA wrote:
your bike seems to be made of cotton hehe i wonder what motivated you to search for a memory address that showed the bike speed, is there a memory address that shows mario speed in super mario 1 ??? O_O
I'm sure you could find that sort of data in any game that uses variable speed if you search long enough.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Player (104)
Wow, that is totally awesome...even reading the facts for the making of this movie was awesome! I can't vote anything but yes, this is very well done *applauds*
Soft Blue Dragon
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
I loved watching the previous run. I didn't expect this run to get re-owned. Also, I agree with FODA about your quality here.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Holy poop on a stick! Now THAT! Was entertainment! My only complaint? This game is too short! I mean I had to watch it at LEAST 3 times to get the minimum fill from it ;) And those bounces! I mean there's more bounces then Trampoline Night at the Playboy Mansion in that! Freaking Star for sure baby! Now... if even half of these moves are possible on a console... oooh yeah! Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
Emulator Coder
Hahaha, this is the awesomestest. I hope you will attempt further movies using similar methods in the future.
Banned User, Former player
Yes, I found the variable speed in RAM before, in FCEU XD. It's quite fun to play with, setting to obscene values and whatever. Now all I need to find is the gravity values and timers (for extra-long jumps and 9:59:99 limits), for fun. I watched the WIP of this, and from the looks of it, this is a highly entertaining run. I will be voting yes for sure after watching this, but I must still congratulate you for making Excitebike even more incredible. :)
Perma-banned
Former player
Amazing work Luke!
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
It's the Megaman 1 of motorcross! Totally awesome...who would have thunk something like that was possible. ^^;;
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Even Excitebike is hilariously broken, easy yes. Awesome work. :)
"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." ( Pratchett & Gaiman: Good Omens )
I like it. Haven't played the game but it still looks interesting.
duu
This was great movie! Keep it going!
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
amazing work man, keep it up :) voted yes (even though it is already accepted)
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Skilled player (1885)
Hahaha, really great! ;) The last stage looked really cool, the background couldn't keep up with you. I'm totally voting yes on this, not that it really matters... Anyway, super good job! :)
Player (84)
total yes. excellent job. I want to see more runs from you Luke! :)
Editor, Active player (296)
Luke, didn't you used to be known as Superninja? Have you created a second account in this site (which is not allowed in the forum rules)? Which name do you want to use in this publication? How about previous publications by your name? I found two entries, Luke G (aka. Superninja) and Luke Gustafson, in the Nesvideos players list. I combined them now. But before I go ahead and make another mistake that is difficult to fix, please answer my questions.
Player (84)
Yeah, I did use Superninja once (a long time ago, just for one submission I think). I don't have the password or the email for that account anymore, so yeah, go ahead and delete Luke G/Superninja. Sorry about that~~
Use the force
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [517] NES Excitebike by Luke in 05:35.38
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
Looks like this suffered from the common "lost star trough obsoletion" phenomenon.
Spacecow
He/Him
Hahaha, wow. Excellent work. I don't find myself laughing aloud at a TAS very often but the first time you warped from the top of the screen to the bottom and back up again several times (resulting in stupidly fast speed) I couldn't help myself. What a great surprise :)
Active player (432)
Just viewed it, absolutely fantastic work!
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Player (79)
Player (223)
Good one.
<adelikat> I've been quoted with worse
Former player
Bablo wrote:
Good one.
I'll second that.