Submission Text Full Submission Page
Astro Boy is the one ray of light in a sea of terrible GBA license games. Developed by Treasure, it is the definitive game for Tezuka fans, with fast action, nice animation, a decent story, and lots of cameos of various Tezuka characters.
The game follows Astro Boy, recently activated by Dr. Tenma, as he helps fight for peace and all that, meeting various Tezuka characters along the way, and fighting various Tezuka villains. He builds strength using the "Omega Factor"... which simply means the more people he meets, the stronger he gets.
The game actually has 9 total stages (each divided into various sections) and a "Second Quest", and this video features seven of them. I'll get to that later.
Astro Boy has five basic moves, and three special moves in this game. Two of the special moves are pretty useless in a time attack, so you'll only be seeing the "EX Cannon" (the move where he fires a giant laser). Most of the enemies are done away with using punching combos. Kicks send enemies flying across the screen, damaging the enemies they collide into, and is handy for bunching up enemies together to knock out all at once. The Finger Laser is good in theory for attacking spread-out groups of enemies, but it's a slow move, and one laser (usually) has the attack power of one punch. Then there's the dash, which makes creating a video for this game REALLY Complicated. In short, it lets Astro get around fast, and makes him "invincible" for a short time. How often it can be used in sequence depends on how much it's upgraded. I spend most of the game with Boosters at level 2, allowing two dashes in a row.
As always, speed is an important factor. For the most part, I try to do the game as fast as possible. But making the game look good was equally as important, and the range of moves Astro has gives plenty of opportunities for that. If there was a way to get rid of a group of enemies with a really cool punch/kick/dash combo that was 10 frames slower than just hammering the EX Cannon and killing them all, that's what I'd do. If the EX Cannon was 100 frames faster, I'd go with that instead.
Omega Factor upgrades consume about 450 frames. At first, I agonized over whether going after certain optional upgrades would be worth it... if the powerups would really save 450 frames in the long run... then ultimately I decided this was irrelevent. A stronger Astro Boy makes the parts of the game with actual gameplay faster and more fun to watch. All in all, I acquired 7 optional upgrades, resulting in a fully-powered punch and laser by the final stage. Being powered-up like that helps take out all the bosses in that stage faster than one might think!
This game was played on Normal mode. Hard mode has a few differences, the most significant being that the enemies take more hits to kill, and Astro's use of super moves is more limited. Basically, it just slows the game down more. It would have made the game more boring to watch, especially in the final set of boss fights.
tl;dr: I tried to make the game a nice balance of "fast as possible" and "entertaining as possible".

Notes about the stages:
  • Red and Purple enemies can't be "stunned" when they're attacked. They also can't be kicked across the screen.
  • I use the Finger Laser in stage 1 more often than in any other stage, because a lot of the enemies are weak and can be killed with one hit, which makes its slowness a little more forgiveable. I start using kicks more once the enemies get stronger.
  • Magnamite, the boss of stage 1, was a tough one. With 1/4th of his life left, he starts jumping out of view, attempting to squash Astro. Astro had to be positioned EXACTLY perfect for his EX Cannon to finish him off before he can get off one jump.
  • The final form of "Artificial Sun" boss of stage 2 gets larger if you use special moves on it. Typically, you don't want him to end up consuming the entire screen like I did. =)
  • I hated having to use two EX cannons against the 4 robots in the factory. It's impossible to defeat them quickly otherwise. You can't bunch them together, and they have moves that make them untouchable.
  • Pook has 4 forms. Leo (Lion) always starts out with the annoying shield move, making you wait. Bahamute (Shark) is typically the slowest one to deal with since it moves around real fast underground, but I got lucky and he jumped out of the ground almost immediately after transforming!
  • The Pook fight marks where I'm less trigger-happy with the EX Cannon. I don't use it once against him, and in fact, it actually makes the fight slower due to its "charging" animation.
  • In most of stage 3, there's no gravity.
  • Yes, I take a hit against Carabs, the boss of stage 4. Aside from the hit I take in the very first stage, this is the only time this happens. Yes, both done to save time. Look how much damage Carabs does!
  • Foreground layers were turned off to play the train carriage sections of Stage 5.
  • Sharaku, the boss of Stage 6 (also the main villain of the entire game), sucks. He has four attacks. You get to see two, one of which makes him invincible for quite a few seconds. I've tried everything to affect his movement so he won't use it. It just couldn't be done. Apparently, he automatically does that move after having a certain amount of life points.
  • Stage 7 is five boss fights! Each boss gives you an Omega upgrade, and with the Punch and Laser already maxed out, I went for the boosters. The booster upgrades actually help; these bosses like to spend a lot of time in the air.
  • North's first stage blocks all of your normal attacks, but once he performs a block, he's vulnerable to the EX Laser for a short time. His second stage has six different attacks. Most make him difficult/impossible to attack. I nailed him with the laser again, so you only get to see one of them. Sorry!
  • When Denkou disappears, you have to punch out 1 to 3 of those machines to get him to reappear, depending on how many hit points he has left. Or you can use the EX Machinegun to keep him from disappearing at all, apparently. Yeaaaaah, did not know this at the time. Whatever. Would have made the fight more boring anyway.
  • Brontus has three attacks, two of which leave him vulnerable to Astro's attacks. I managed to affect his movement to prevent him from doing the third one.
  • Epsilon has four moves, and again, you only get to see one. Typically, I planned to prevent her from using her Photon Beam, but it ended up being her very first move; so much for that! The Photon Beam makes her invincible for a short period, then REALLY hard to attack as the beams are coming down. But I think it made the fight really interesting, so I'm actually glad it happened!
  • Pluto, the "last boss", is kind of a drag. He's just a big tank, and he can do the one move in the game that can hurst Astro even in mid-Dash. I affected his movement to prevent that move, and aside from that, he seemed to like jumping around a lot, which was fine with me; I had five Boosters at this point. He has two Laser attacks and a missile attack, but I think he only fires those off if Astro's at a distance. You get to see one of those.

After defeating Pluto, the movie stops. The game is actually only about 1/2 done, so why does the movie stop? Well, the final half of the game is the "Rebirth" game, and here's what it involves:
  • Astro must play every stage again, with the same enemies, only this time his attacks are weaker, so they take a bit longer to kill. =/
  • Stage 4 has different enemies, but only stage 4-3 as a slightly altered layout. All the other stages are exactly the same.
  • The most interesting change in Rebirth is actually the alterations in the cinema events, which would all be skipped anyway.
  • After playing all the stages again, Astro has to do some leaping around the stages (including a new "Stage 0"), setting off various events in order to unlock stage 8. This involves two new boss fights, but other than that, it's mostly cinemas.
  • Stage 8 isn't even that interesting. It starts with a shooter stage, then there's 4 repeat boss fights, and only one new boss fight. The final stage can't be sped up in any way.
  • It's all rather interesting during normal play... you get to see a lot of new events unfold and it was real clever how the game's designers actually incoporated the Stage Select mode into the plot. For a time attack video, however, there just isn't much there.
  • and there you have it.
Astro Boy is kind of a weird game to time attack, but I hope you enjoy it.
  • Takes damage only twice to save time
  • VBA 1.7.2 rerecording 17.1
  • Aims for a balance of fastest time and most entertaining movie
  • Manipulates luck
  • Genre: Action/Fighting/Shooter

adelikat: good votes, good comments, good run, good game. Accepting for publication.

Nach: Encoding!

Nach: And rejected, see discussion.

SuperHappy: I will guess that I'll have a fixed version of the movie done sometime in February. 'Till then!

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1036: josh l.'s GBA Astro Boy: The Omega Factor in 31:01.17
Former player
Erm. It's a good movie but you ended it way too early, skipping through the final score calculation is a must, and you still need to take care of Pluto in regards of the grid.
well i found the movie entertaining so im voting yes i guess you have to re-submit this if you ended the movie too early like AnotherGamer said though
Player (101)
Eh... If they really want me too, I will. But the game isn't really finished no matter where I stop it, so I figured it doesn't really matter. And stopping it right after the final blow is always the most impressive way to do it.
http://girlyyy.com/ The El Viento TAS is the only decent thing I submitted here.
Zakatos
He/Him
A very fun run for a very fun game. Very well-made and planneed, it really puts ol' good Astro on an overpower ninja mood =) A definitive yes.
The eyes of a machine are wonderful, but there's nothing like the the eyes of the heart – Old Cid, Cybercop
Spacecow
He/Him
I have never played this game and therefore probably won't vote, but I'd just like to say I'm horrified that you used "tl;dr".
I was surprised by how effective the kick can be. Lots of fast-paced action equals yes vote. It seems like you calculated your usage of EX cannon well, but there were two places it seemed like it should have been used more. -When you fought the giant bee mini-boss in stage 2-1. -When you fought the train mini-boss in 5-3. Would getting a point in sensor help with the slowdown in the foggy room in stage 3? I guess even if it did help, the loss in attack power might not be worth it.
When you fought the giant bee mini-boss in stage 2-1. It was starting its flying attack before he could give it a fourth cannon hit, during that flying attack it's offscreen for too long so it wouldn't have taken the full damage from the cannon while it was flying forward (would have been out of range too early). He'd have wasted the time for the chargeup animation and not finished the boss off any faster. Would getting a point in sensor help with the slowdown in the foggy room in stage 3? Nope, that needs two points. The first point removes the darkness in Stage 2 (which did cause some lag but not nearly enough).
Great run of a really great game. Yes vote if I could.
What's a man like me supposed to do with all this extra savoir-faire?
Player (101)
KDR_11k wrote:
When you fought the giant bee mini-boss in stage 2-1. It was starting its flying attack before he could give it a fourth cannon hit, during that flying attack it's offscreen for too long so it wouldn't have taken the full damage from the cannon while it was flying forward (would have been out of range too early). He'd have wasted the time for the chargeup animation and not finished the boss off any faster.
That was unfortunate, especially when in an earlier version of the run, I got two laser upgrades rather than Laser and Booster, which made the Laser JUST powerful enough to squeeze in another EX Cannon before the bee goes offscreen. Not having the Booster upgrade would have sacrificed several other tricks earlier in the movie, however. Generally, in "Laser-only" boss fights, I switch back to the regular laser once they're so low on health, another cannon shot would kill them long before it finishes firing. It takes about the same time, with the EX charging animation factored in, and gives them a chance to get off SOME shots for me to dodge.
http://girlyyy.com/ The El Viento TAS is the only decent thing I submitted here.
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
I liked the game, too bad there so much lag in it. :/ I wonder why Treasure didn't think about that. About when to end the game, is it completely impossible to start on the second quest, so to speak, and finish that to get some sense of completion from it?
I don't think treasure ever thinks about lag, all of their GBA games lag like hell.
Former player
The run is super cool !! The two drawbacks i'd mention have already been pointed out : - So much lag (but you're not responsible, I know) - When you ended the movie seems strange... But maybe it's just me... Of course I voted yes for it !
Not dead yet... still very busy... damn...
Former player
I'm voting meh for this. It really feels like you didn't complete the game. I have experienced the whole debacle that you simply refer to as the 'second quest', and I think that it should be included in a run for this game. Along with that, I don't like the excessive use of the EX cannon. It really feels like you lose way too much time in the initialization of the attack, to the point that it seems like a punching frenzy would be faster. Aside from that, though, the game was interesting. I've experienced the mindless fighting in this game before, so I ended up just turboing through most of it with the occasional 'oh, that was nice' moment. However, what I did take the time to watch was fairly interesting.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
The "Rebirth" section of the game would be terribly boring to watch. It's almost exactly the same.
What's a man like me supposed to do with all this extra savoir-faire?
Former player
notBowen wrote:
The "Rebirth" section of the game would be terribly boring to watch. It's almost exactly the same.
I know. I said it didn't feel like he really completed the game, not that it would be more entertaining to finish the story.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Voted yes. I couldn't detect any way to make the run go faster (except the denkou thing you already know about). The run was awesome and looked very cool. And I'd watch a run of Rebirth if you felt like doing one. >_>
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
josh l. wrote:
But the game isn't really finished no matter where I stop it, so I figured it doesn't really matter. And stopping it right after the final blow is always the most impressive way to do it.
Agreed. I will vote yes. This is an entertaining game and is a good addition to the GBA category. The run is well done. Normally I prefer fast as possible at all costs, but I think the author did a good job here balancing that with avoiding repetition. I also agree with you decision to not play hard mode and not complete the "Rebirth" game. Good job.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
Okay, I finished encoding it, and went to watch the whole thing and noticed it stopped in the middle. Rereading the submission I see that was intentional. However there is a matter of if that goes against our guidelines or not, and it does leave the movie end feeling weird without any closure. I spoke with Bisqwit about it, but we can't decide whether it should be published or not.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Player (101)
I thought about this off and on since I submitted this. =P It's sounding to me like I should submit a new movie with additional keypresses at the end, all the way through to the credits. This would be no trouble at all, really. However, if I'm going to do that, I'd like to redo a few of the last boss fights while I'm at it. So I'll submit a revised version in about a week; how's that sound?
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
That's fine with me, just means I have to reencode the movie yet again, but at least this times my script is ready :)
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Skilled player (1307)
I really like this TAS, and would gladly watch Rebirth mode even if it does make the run twice as long. Critical five: There are some weird sound issues with that encode. The sound keeps on switching speakers.
I don't have this problem. What player did you use? Was this problem there for the whole movie? Did anyone else has been confronted to such a problem? I just want to know if I have to re-encode the run...
I love this game, but watching this TAS with all the lag and half completed is less satisfying than I had hoped. Maybe someday Treasure will re-release this (with less lag? streamlined rebirth mode?) and a TAS of that version will be completed.