Submission Text Full Submission Page
Emulator Used: Snes9x 1.43+ v9 (WIP1 TIMING, VOLUME ENVELOPE HEIGHT READING)
Super Turrican 2 - USA
  1. Takes no damage.
  2. Collects all gems.
Super Turrican 2 is a side scroller shooter who's origins originates all the way back to the Amiga console. You have 4 weapons at your disposal; laser, spreader, rebound and smart bombs, num num. I opted for the rebound as much as possible because it has the highest damage. The game is face paced, fun, and fricken hard. It makes Contra feel like a day at the spa at some parts. The game has an incredible difficulty due to the fast paced action, the fact that enemies do not get knocked back when hit, and collision detection is really bad and in some parts of the game standing as far as one "Turrican" away from a enemy or projectile will still damage you.
I made the movie running at 3% in snes9x almost the entire game. There are a lot of auto scrolling stages and their scrolls speeds were not manipulatable. I found this to be the most frustrating part of the entire making as there isn't much to do to make it exciting so I used a general rule of "just keep moving." I do bend this rule at certain parts for show and entertainment for the idle animation of the Turrican shooting his machine gun, I thought it matched up nicely with the scenes I chose.

Programming errors abused:

Only one that I can think of, that being on Stage 1-2, at the very beginning, apparently if you jump up and grapple a capsule and jump once the grapple hooks on, you can jump through the capsule.

Few comments on some of the stages:

My favorite stage has to be stage 1-2, I really enjoyed planning the route to get all the gems, manipulating the enemies and it just turned out real seamless and is stunning to watch IMO. The game is just played so fast and I did my best to make sure every move I made near enemies was the last possible moment to move without being damaged and it shows and payed off. I also enjoyed the stage with the lasers very much. It took me quite a while testing different methods to try to get past the lasers as fast as possible and im pleased with the end result, I thought it was gonna look horrible when viewing it at 3% of normal speed, however the slight pauses I made are barely even noticable when playing at normal speed.
My least favorite has to be the two underwater stages, the controls are very sluggish and it will often look like I missed a chance to slip by an enemy because of the collision detection or that I could have moved in faster after the enemy, I assure you I did my best to naviagate this stage, there are still some frames to optimize and I plan to do this, however I feel the end result as of now is worthy of a submission as it does blend seamlessly.
I was also dis-satisfied with the 2nd to the last stage, the scrolling is very bad, and the controls are sluggish when moving from left to right. What bothered me most is I tried to aim for every shot is counting, but since it shoots 3 dots at a time, if I hit an enemy with one, the game is so quick that it can seem like im actually missing, so I decided to only shoot when the enemy was close or could at least hit them with 2/3 dots. I couldn't think of anything else to do, so the stage looks quite boring (which it is) up until the boss.
I had a lot of fun making this movie and hope you all enjoy watching it as much as I do.
Side Note: I've never actually played this game until I started this run, suppose I sort of ruined its lasting appeal on me as everytime I play it I see it frame by frame now due to playing in slow motion so much. =)
Enjoy.
-- Pasky

Truncated: I tidied up the text, since it was destroying the forum layout. Please see TextFormattingRules for how it works. A good start is to not indent lines.

Truncated: Rejecting this submission because of bad feedback. Sorry. A game with less auto-scrolling will probably receive a better response with the audience.

adelikat: Rerejecting it per author's request

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1044: Pasky13's SNES Super Turrican 2 in 30:34.28
Former player
[Unneccesary]
I think.....therefore I am not Barry Burton
Ambassador, Experienced player (696)
Pasky13 wrote:
I made the movie running at 3% in snes9x almost the entire game.
Hmm, were you able to find the frame advance button? I haven't watched this yet but remember that frame advance is your friend.
Former player
Yes, I did use frame advance quite often.
Former player
I'm afraid I'm voting No for this one.. The main goal in this run is not to be quick, only collect all the gems, which itself takes too much time. Just making the stages quick as possible would be better. And you seem to be missing quite much shots too. Perhaps if you would make a run with the main goal to be as fast as possible and make all your shots hit it would be nice.
- mazzeneko
Former player
Well, the main goal is to collect all gems while being as fast as possible. I don't understand what you mean by I keep missing some quick shots, some enemies I did dodge like in stage 1-2 to show off, not because I couldn't hit them. Just about every shot I made on bosses was the fastest I could shoot as you cannot constantly shoot. There is a part where I used the laser while falling and it did miss a few shots to save time, not because I couldn't hit him, but because the laser is an odd weapon in the game, its angle changes only while you keep firing, so in order to hit him with more shots, this had to be attempted. The only stage I can think of that added a significant amount of time while collecting the gems was the underwater stage. At the 1-2 boss, one shot did not hit because it was either hit him with one 2 balls and the missle or not hit him at all for 2 "charge's" as there is a slight delay between shots. If you really want to see the game beaten as fast as possible, there is a cheat code to warp to the last stage, I find runs like those boring. The game is very fast paced, so when collecting the gems, I didn't find it boring to watch at all except at the water stage but it had some significant side scrolling action to make up for it. There are a couple of times in the movie where I grapple hook and it seems like I miss on my way down, I did this to show off, if you look at the game in slow motion you'll see it misses the hook by the last possible moment. I suppose the game is so quick that it doesn't seem that way and I should just hex those out. Can you please explain what shots I missed?
SXL
you kill so many enemies, that it looks you're looking for a 100% kills. meanwhile, some enemies are spared and it's not always easy to understand why you didn't kill them whereas you had enough time to do it. as for the gem goal : it's rather a question of taste. I guess that many users here are used to the usual "fastest" objective, and the "s" of tas means speedrun... so your run is rather in the "aesthetics" category which is very subjective. if you had run for time as the main goal, you'd have clearly helped voters in your favor. I haven't watch the full version yet, but the WIP was fun and there was lots of action, more than many tas already published, so...
I never sleep, 'cause sleep is the cousin of death - NAS
All gems could be considered a 100% run, no?
Former player
I'm voting no. As mazzeneko said, you miss a lot of shots. I can't point you to a specific frame but even excluding the laser you still missed some shots. Also, the game is pretty much crap after the first platformer levels. There is a lot of boring racing and autoscrollers. Personally I love the fact that you went for no-damage but it still doesn't save this run.
I found this pretty entertaining: the boss battles are fast and smooth (in hard mode an enemy takes more hits but you made look fast), the morphing ball is used cleverly and you used cool shortcuts. At the fire sea level you lose some shots but that's because the weapon you use is 3-way and you can't get other. I'm voting yes.
I am a Mega Man fan that hates Megaman X8.
Former player
Im not sure if some of you are mistaking some of the missed shots that are left overs, the rebound shoots 3 bullets at once, some enemies only take 1 or 2 bullets to die so the third keeps going past them, not sure if this is the issue.
Former player
Pasky13 wrote:
Im not sure if some of you are mistaking some of the missed shots that are left overs, the rebound shoots 3 bullets at once, some enemies only take 1 or 2 bullets to die so the third keeps going past them, not sure if this is the issue.
Well.. that is excatly what looks bad. Why are you even using a weapon that misses shots after killing an enemy.. Aren't there weapons that can be shot only twice (killing the enemy) and then there would not be a leftover bullet? I, personally, think that a better weapon planning would help things up? Just a suggestion.. If rebound is the strongest weapon then it should be used in a way where all the three shots actually hit something.
- mazzeneko
Former player
No, their aaren't. The spread shot will not use all of its bullet when an enemy is hit. The laser will also go through and the rebound cannot be used in a way such as you explained if there is only one enemy on the screen unless I lose time by avoiding it.
well i liked this movie, except maybe for the underwate level that was like 5 minutes of gem collecting.. i didn't really notice the missed shots the others are talking about so it can't be too bad and gem collecting didn't waste much time ( except the in the mentionned level ) my only complaint is the aerial level, i wish you would of stayed under the airplane the entire time.. then again that's just a matter of opinion anyways : voting yes
Former player
Voting no. It was obviouslly very slow at some points. Also, the 100% no damage mod was just a waste of time. Try again, but make time your #1 objective. Also, use the frame advance key.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Former player
I wouldn't suggest trying this again. The game just isn't very TASable.
Tub
What, this game dares to call itself Turrican? I'm coming from the Amiga, and it saddens me to see platform action in huuuuge levels being replaced by just a little platform action on tiny levels mixed with autoscrolling, while listening to horrible music. Well, there WERE walkers (although they didn't sound well when stepped on), and there was the usual crappy story, but.. it just isn't what I loved about Turrican any more. I wasn't entertained by this run. It looked sloppy at times, and I disagree with the gem collection goal. Then again, it might also have been the game, so I won't vote.
m00
Zakatos
He/Him
This game looks to be a crappy variation of Contra 3, but it has its unique and interesting features. I'm not familiar with it, but found it rather enjoyable, must try a play when i had the time. About your run: in 2-2 you shot some obstacles yet thay're not destroyed, why? It would be smoother if you just shoted the ones you're going to blow. Also, in the water levels, it could just be me, but you appear to be stuck in certain rock ledges. I didn't vote, but if i needed to choose i certanly had chosen Meh. Also, i really didn't care about the 100% gems as the primary objective. If everything that don't concern taking 100% gems are optimized to the faster possible run, it's OK to me. But a "pure" run would be worth trying as well.
The eyes of a machine are wonderful, but there's nothing like the the eyes of the heart – Old Cid, Cybercop
Active player (277)
Do you get anything good for collecting all the gems?
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Zakatos
He/Him
Now some point I realized, if a pure run was acheived, that would imply on avoiding as many gems as possible, as they take extra frames for score tallier. Althought it would seem possible to avoid most gems without losing time, it would be very unaesthetical to do so in some stages (eg first level with the bike).
The eyes of a machine are wonderful, but there's nothing like the the eyes of the heart – Old Cid, Cybercop
There's a "missed gems" counter, I suppose that'll add time for missed gems as well. Perhaps it doesn't matter how many you collect?
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, stale!
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Definite yes
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Former player
This run is not submission worthy. I ask it be rejected because there was a lot of mistakes made, jumps and such were not optimized and it's just overall sloppy. Please reject as the quality is poor.