After several months of being stuck on Volcano-3, I randomly tried again tonight and somehow got the amebas to convert a whole 2 seconds earlier than last time! Lucky!!
Movie Info
  • Created with both FCEU 0.98.12 and 0.98.15
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Manipulates Luck
  • No deaths
  • Abuses programming erros
  • Plays on hardest difficulty (Password 724045)
Fun Facts about this movie
  • This run is exactly 1523 frames ahead of the last run, for a total improvement of 4696 frames over the first run.
  • All the levels in this run but the last two were completed within the course of about 2 weeks, but Volcano-3 took almost a year to finally finish.
  • The time improvement came from strategy improvements on almost all of the levels- most small, some huge. The four improvements over 100 frames were Sand-1, Volcano-2, Volcano-3, and Volcano-4.
  • Sand-1 is 3 seconds slower than in the previous run according to the game timer, but 3 seconds faster in real time due to lag reduction.
  • Volcano-2 uses an interesting new trick where I physically manipulate the scorpion into place instead of waiting for it.
  • Volcano-3 (The Ameba level) is slightly more interesting to watch than last time (but just slightly!) Let go of fastforward when the timer hits about 158 to see it.
  • Volcano-4 takes advantage of a new trick. Due to a programming error, squashing a bug will cause the rest of the bugs in the stage to freeze for a few turns. I use this to drop a rock on a bug that otherwise wouldn't have hit it.
  • Ocean-2 is the only level in this run that is slower than in the previous run- by 16 frames (1 step). This is due to a luck manipulation error I didn't realize existed- The first batch of diamonds refused to become collectable for 32 frames, whereas previously they became instantly collectable. Nothing I tried seemed to change this. I did, however, manage to improve this level's execution by 16 frames, so as to be behind 16 and not 32 frames.
  • The previous run was recorded from reset instead of power-on. When the run was published, Bisqwit (or one of his scripts) changed the movie to start from power-on, causing the currently published fcm to desynch at Sand-1 due to lag. This new movie correctly starts from power-on.
  • My completion time is the name of the prequel to the NES game I last submitted a movie of.

Bisqwit: Works without desync, seems quite difficult, and it is an improvement to existing movie. Accepting. That guy must have infinite pockets. Storing thousands of diamonds the size of himself. That second-last stage is weird btw, with that long wait.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1069: CtrlAltDestroy's NES Boulder Dash in 19:42.32
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
Very nice. I still like Sand-1 the best when you run trough heaps of falling objects.
Yes! =)
Active player (324)
Suggestion for the new screenshot.
Post subject: Re: #1069: CtrlAltDestroy's NES Boulder Dash in 19:42
Active player (277)
Bisqwit wrote:
Works without desync, seems quite difficult, and it is an improvement to existing movie. Accepting. That guy must have infinite pockets. Storing thousands of diamonds the size of himself. That second-last stage is weird btw, with that long wait.
Hahaha, you should work that into the movie description. I also like how gravity seems to apply to some things and not other things, so it's not quite clear whether this is supposed to be side-view or top-down.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [541] NES Boulder Dash by CtrlAltDestroy in 19:42.32
I can see that there is ratings (voting results) on the games page... where can I vote?
Editor, Active player (296)
MovieWatcher wrote:
I can see that there is ratings (voting results) on the games page... where can I vote?
As always, be sure to check the http://tasvideos.org/FAQ.html first.
Bisqwit wrote:
MovieWatcher wrote:
As always, be sure to check the http://tasvideos.org/FAQ.html first.
Ah! Of course you're right... sorry about that. Edit: But it does not seem to work for me to login there... I got this following one time:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function LoadTable() in /home/WWW/wikisites/nesvideos-site/inc/dbfun.php on line 48
After that I only get the login page again without being allowed to go to the voting page... I know that I wrote the right password and username, because if i enter wrong ones, I get an error message. Edit 2: Nevermind... just seemed to be something temporary... seems to work now.
Editor, Active player (296)
MovieWatcher wrote:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function LoadTable() in /home/WWW/wikisites/nesvideos-site/inc/dbfun.php on line 48
Whoa. I have no idea how that bug went undetected for so long time. Anyway, try again now, I think I fixed it.
Active player (324)
I was watching this the other day, and I noticed that I had somehow committed a very large and embarrassing mistake on Sand-4. At the beginning, I went far out of my way to pick up a single diamond which just happened to be sitting atop a rock which I walked right under later. D'OH! I guess I'll have to redo this run again sometime.
d'oh* Ouch. How much time do you lose?
Active player (324)
Probably two whole seconds.
Yikes. Also, someone seed this.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Holy crap, I imagine this run would be a huge chore to TAS. I don't understand the rules of the game too well yet, but it's impressive to watch anyway.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Active player (324)
I've started a new run, and I've completed the first two worlds with an improvement of 3 seconds. I estimate that it will end up being about 10 seconds faster. Don't expect it to be done anytime soon, though.