Submission Text Full Submission Page
Here we go again... I knew my previous movie was... uh, not good shortly after submitting, so I decided to do another one tonight in another few hours. Only this time it doesn't suck and is actually entertaining for a short little 4:30 movie, especially considering the game played normally can take hours.

Categories

• Played with FCEU 0.98.13. Newer versions have desync problems, I believe.
  • Takes no damage
  • Manipulates luck (once)
  • Abuses programming errors in the game (for entertainment only; see level 4)
  • Aims for fastest time, while still being entertaining and showing off bugs

Comparison Chart

Milestone       OldMov   NewMov  Diff
  -- -- -
 Level 2 start     5 050    5 967   +  917
 Level 3 start     6 837    7 009   -  745
 Level 4 start    11 237    9 785   -1 624
 Level 5 start    15 040   13 469   -  119
 Level 6 start    18 524   15 951   -1 002
 Total length     19 434   16 452   -  409
 -- Total Diff:   -2 982

Detailed Analysis

Level 1 is nothing new, aside from some boredom relief while waiting for the boring punny speech to pass. The intro is the exact same since it was... well, already close (if not perfect) already.
I steal earlier, as I managed to manipulate it to giving me the Devil.FL after only two attempts, as opposed to just settling for some clunker later in the game.
Level 2, as a result, is much faster. I kill the minions immediately instead of the boss, as each one is +4 attack, making the boss even easier. It makes this stage look really, really short... which it usually isn't.
Level 3 is, unsuprisignly, the same as always. Boring elevator ride up (no, it's impossible to get through there without the elevator), leading to a wonderful combo for the minionguards. Sadly, I couldn't pull it off again, so I just settle for whatever kills them fastest... the boss wasn't anything major, another two hit kill now that I have the highest attack possible.
Level 4 has the delay so I can skip the turtle in the roulette hall, and then... well, you'll have to see the boss for yourself.
Level 5 is nothing speical other than it's fast.
Level 6... well, let's just say the last boss is pathetic.

Canceling. --Xkeeper

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1076: Xkeeper's NES Pinball Quest in 04:34.20
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
This game is weird. I love the ending, complete with unexplained everything. Kudos to helping the ball find a girl. That's really what it's all about. Voting yes.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
I agree, I loved playing this when I was younger and you made it look so simple. I actually replayed the game when you submitted your first run and let me say that past level 1 its a lot harder then it looks, especially the final boss. I also laughed at stage two because of how quickly you killed the witch. Voting yes.
Player (87)
"At the heart of every great legend, there lies a woman." Apparently, this is even true for pinballs. Although the game itself isn't awe inspiring, it's short enough to remain interesting. I liked how you juggled the flippers up and down during pauses: enough to look cool, but yet not so much as to be repetitive. I do have one question though. After the first level, you take a break to 'steal' something. What was this section all about? EDIT: Nevermind, I should really read the entire submission text <_<;;. Voting Yes :)
print reduce(lambda x,p:p/2*x/p+2*10**1000,range(6643,1,-2))
Banned User, Former player
Glad to see this time it gets a little more attention from not being as bad. Thanks for the comments so far, too... heh. The only thing bad about the most powerful flippers in the game is that sometimes they'll just emit a crunch noise and not work, which got in the way of a lot of shots (bad timing). I actually manipulate it to only happen once (in some level, I think 4 -- just woke up, sorry) but it doesn't affect anything.
Perma-banned
It's better than the last one, and I already liked that one. This will be an obvious yes. It's a rather unique concept and it certainly is fast. Anyway, I'm still baffled at the ending, they had to be smoking something when designing this piece of work.
"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." ( Pratchett & Gaiman: Good Omens )
Tombad wrote:
It's better than the last one, and I already liked that one. This will be an obvious yes. It's a rather unique concept and it certainly is fast. Anyway, I'm still baffled at the ending, they had to be smoking something when designing this piece of work.
The ending is basically, in the most explanative terms: oops you won but not yet as i suck you into this black hole and ouch you hit me and i am a giant magnet and i am cracking and ouch she hit me too and ow i am cracking more and exploding oh no cut to pointless shot of castle that gets cut away for some reason and then fade in image of pinball and princess with a bunch of other pinballs and then oops credits whatever they were smoking, I want some of it.
Perma-banned
Player (24)
Vote yes. I already like the first one. And this is faster now. Looks great manipulated and I think Pinballs are hard to play and manipulate. I played only Adventures or Jump and Runs. And there I can control the hero. But here you can only control the flippers, so I think its a bit harder to TAS then other games.
Last TAS finished: Final Fantasy Adventure (4.0 Warp Glitch Run) WIP in the moment: Tail Gator (GB) Matty
Just think Sonic Spinball but with less control. (Tilting will gradually move the ball in a certian direction, but it takes a lot of effort (read: autofire) to get it to be even noticable)
Perma-banned
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Xkeeper wrote:
Just think Sonic Spinball but with less control.
So it's like unplugging the controller, eh?
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
JXQ wrote:
Xkeeper wrote:
Just think Sonic Spinball but with less control.
So it's like unplugging the controller, eh?
Hey, Sonic Spinball isn't that bad. (I actually own it, too!)
Perma-banned
Editor, Expert player (2459)
I tested this game briefly and it seems that it is not necessary to WALK to the next level. Simply, pressing B in the level transition hallway moves you straight to the next level. That saves many seconds, right? --- Edit: 2 frames can be saved before the game even starts. In the beginning you pressed START-IDLE-START, but START-B is 1 frame faster. Same goes for the game-mode selection screen where you pressed UP-IDLE-START, when it's faster to press UP-START. I completed the game once and I must say it was not an easy task. The movie is actually quite good, but can be improved.
Aqfaq wrote:
I tested this game briefly and it seems that it is not necessary to WALK to the next level. Simply, pressing B in the level transition hallway moves you straight to the next level. That saves many seconds, right?
... .......................... You'd think in all my years of playing this I might have realized this, but I suppose the fact that whenever I changed levels I attempted theivery never led me to experiment. * Xkeeper bashes head into keyboard I'll check if hex-editing this in is possible; if not, I'll just let this submission go in favor of not redoing every level. Most of them went quite well and would be pretty difficult to reproduce.
Perma-banned
Aqfaq wrote:
I tested this game briefly and it seems that it is not necessary to WALK to the next level. Simply, pressing B in the level transition hallway moves you straight to the next level. That saves many seconds, right? --- Edit: 2 frames can be saved before the game even starts. In the beginning you pressed START-IDLE-START, but START-B is 1 frame faster. Same goes for the game-mode selection screen where you pressed UP-IDLE-START, when it's faster to press UP-START. I completed the game once and I must say it was not an easy task. The movie is actually quite good, but can be improved.
Frame counts, please? Try waiting a few more frames when pushing Up-Start and you'll see why I didn't do that ;)
Perma-banned
Attempting to hexedit the changes in resulted in a loss of luck (as expected, d'oh.) ... the time lost amounts to 4.6 seconds in total from the 4 times this animation plays.
Perma-banned
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
This run has potential, you should really consider redoing it. 4.6 seconds is a lot especially considering how short the game is.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, stale!