Emulator used: Gens 9F NitsujaMod (Gens 9F compatible)

Emulator settings:

• Controller 1: 6 button
  • Controller 2: 6 button
  • Allow Up+Down: Yes
  • Sound: Enabled, 44100KhZ Stereo, YM2612 High Quality enabled

Categories

• Does not use warps or passwords
  • Abuses programming errors in the game
  • Manipulates luck
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Aims to entertain
  • Ignores semi-important goals in the game

About the Game

Ristar - The Shooting Star is a game in which you control a shooting star who has been wished upon. Ristar's gameplay actually derives from a prototype version of Sonic--initially Sega's mascot was going to be a rabbit whose ears stretched to grab enemies and items. In Ristar, you control a star with similarly stretchy arms, who grabs enemies and bonks them with his rock-hard head.

About the Movie

This movie uses the Japanese version of Ristar, because it has a faster menu, harder hard mode, and fewer cut-scenes. This movie makes extensive use of programming glitches to regain control faster than is normally possible, and help maintain full speed as much as possible. This movie manipulates luck to prevent bosses from using their longer attacks. This movie takes damage to save time, and ignores bonus-stages. This movie takes a small amount of time in several places to perform additional tricks, most notably, getting the maximum height bonus at the end of every round. This costs some time, but makes for a much more entertaining run.
This movie does not challenge "Super Mode" for two reasons. 1) Super mode requires a password, and the password entry screen is slow, even done frame-advance. 2) The only relevant difference between hard mode and super mode is that in Super Mode, it is impossible to have more than one hit point. Taking damage once saves multiple seconds of standing and waiting in some places, so Super Mode makes for a longer less entertaining movie.

Suggested Screenshot

If this movie is published, I would suggest the shot at 19:42:22 or frame 70942 be used as the screenshot.

Notes and Explanations

• In many places, Ristar performs a grab with no target. This is the Grab-cancel trick.
  • In many places, Ristar grabs and bounces off an object diagonally behind him. This is the Bounce-boost trick.
  • On Leatow/Undertow's boss, the second hit does not connect the frame he enters the screen. I manipulated to get the boss to appear nearly two seconds faster, but this left me in a position where there were about six frames where he could be grabbed, but I was unable to reach him.
  • On the Planet Onaclove/Scorch miniboss, I take a hit. I'm not quite sure why, but when I tested versus not taking the hit, it allowed me to reach the exit pole 2 frames faster.
  • More explanations to come as people ask or I recall them
Bounce
Grabbing an object for a minimal number of frames and bonking it.
Bounce-boost
When bouncing diagonally off an object, if the angle is correct, it propels Ristar faster than he can normally walk, this speed will be maintained until the ground is hit, or a grab connects with another grabbable object
The Bounce Glitch
When Ristar bounces, because the player has no control during the bounce-recovery animation, he becomes invincible for a very short period which is not visibly noted. When bouncing off enemies, this is only about as long as the recovery animation itself. But, for some reason it lasts about 50% longer when bouncing off of walls.
Grab-cancel
There are several animations during which directional input has no effect (IE, I can't accellerate). However, each of these animations (except the swimming bounce-recovery animation) has a point prior to its completion where you can cancel it by performing a grab. This allows me to regain control at least six, and often 12 frames faster, in each animation.
Swim
While in water, the jump button makes Ristar perform a stroke, and increases his speed greatly.
Extended-Swim
After the swimming animation has completed, the speed can be maintained for about 10 frames by continuing to hold the direction Ristar was swimming.
Swim-Cancel
The swimming animation can be ended 16 frames early by pressing in a different direction from the swim angle for at least one fram. This will lead to rapid deceleration, but can also be used for the following purposes
Swim-Grab-Cancel
By grabbing the frame after performing a swim-cancel, Ristar will, in most situations, instantly change direction and grab, while maintaining swimming speed. Very useful on the hammerhead boss
Swim-Swim-Cancel
By swimming the frame after performing a swim-cancel Ristar can change directions instantly underwater without losing any speed. Alternately, he can simply start his next swim stroke in the same direction 16 frames early.
Pole-Swinging
In many places there are poles positioned for Ristar to grab and swing around for additional speed.
Hyper mode
If Ristar continually accelerates while pole-swinging, he enters hyper mode after six and a half revolutions. During Hyper mode, Ristar glows blue, and becomes invincible. He will automatically kill any enemies he touches, and will also bounce off of any walls/terrain that he touches without losing speed. In Normal mode, Ristar can be steered while in hyper mode. In Hard Mode, he must perform a Hyper-cancel to regain control
Hyper-cancel
During hyper mode, hitting the jump button causes Ristar to jump in mid-air. This ends the bouncing of Hyper mode, the invincibility effect, and allows gravity to affect Ristar, but it returns control of Ristar to the player and does not cause deceleration otherwise.
Pole-Dancing
A punny name for when Ristar grabs a pole, swings around, lets go, and grabs it again. This is my favorite sport.
Zipping
Zipping is the effect that is initiated when a player character enters an impassible area. In Ristar, zipping works by ejecting the player from the area, to the nearest same-height free area, in a single frame and removing all momentum. It plays a very small role in Ristar, as it seems impossible to enter walls. However, there are many objects on the ground which have solid sides, but do not have solid tops. This allows for a quick 30-40 pixel boost which only requires 3-4 frames to accelerate back up to full speed.

Truncated: Everyone seems like it and think that it should be published (26 yes votes). So therefore I'm setting this to accepted. I have been told that the AVI is already encoded also.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1078: upthorn's Genesis Ristar - The Shooting Star in 28:17.37
Active player (277)
My favorite part was when you carried the metronome through the whole level!
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
I truly believe that Ristar has one of the most fun credit sequences ever.\ edit: i decided to add a more useful comment I think the coolest thing you did in this was how you skipped some of the plane swapping teleporters in the last level. The pole action in the fire stages were nice too.
I like my "thank you"s in monetary form.
Former player
Good job, Upthorn. Don't give you a "yes" because i cant vote, but you surelly be published. I just be a litlle sad because i was thinking in start doing TAS with this game... let's find another game that i'm good and don't have time either ^^'
Not more working on: DKC3 105% < Needs modified Nitsuja Snes9x+9, with reset recording.
Man, that was all kinds of awesome to watch. This run needs to be published asap. Definite yes vote. Also, it would be kinda funny if this run got a sta*bricked*
I'd certainly vote yes if I could. I remember the water levels being the slowest levels in the game, but you absolutely tore through them fast. O_o
upthorn
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Active player (388)
Anon wrote:
Also, it would be kinda funny if this run got a sta*bricked*
Haha, yeah, I was thinking that myself. But I don't think it qualifies. Heh.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
A run where the water levels aren't boring??? And a Genesis non-Sonic game with good music? I remember this game, but only from Gamecube's Sonic collection, heh. The metronome-carrying level was especially impressive. Haha, final boss sound effect from Sonic 3's Carnival Night zone.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Banned User, Former player
I have never seen this game, heard of this game, much less played this game. So I decided why not and went to get the ROM and play this, and... ...wow. This game is amazing, and this TAS is just as amazing. Perfect! Yes vote, and ... well, aside from the obvious pun, this is just one of those games that is incredible.
Perma-banned
Former player
I was very entertained throughout the run, but I think this kind of game should have a run that aims for fastest time. I still vote yes.
upthorn
He/Him
Guybrush wrote:
I was very entertained throughout the run, but I think this kind of game should have a run that aims for fastest time. I still vote yes.
If I aimed for the fastest time, level ends would consist of jumping, grabbing the pole for a quick speed boost to the side, and getting a 0 or 50 point height bonus.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
Yeah, I'm glad you decided to go for the height bonus instead of the quick finish. If this were to get a different run, it would be one that gets all the bonus treasures.
I like my "thank you"s in monetary form.
JXQ wrote:
A run where the water levels aren't boring??? And a Genesis non-Sonic game with good music?
X-men 2 has great music. D:< Anywho, great run, very entertaining. Easy yes.
What's a man like me supposed to do with all this extra savoir-faire?
Very nice. I made a TAS of this myself quite a while ago, but somehow the file got corrupted so it never saw the light of day. This one definatly kicked mines butt though.
Yes vote from me if I could indeed vote.
[URL=http://www.sererre.net/dd/]daily deviations[/URL]
Former player
I liked this movie, especially the water levels. He moves so fast! Just wondering though, what exactly happened in that stage where you were swimming with seemingly no water? that made me go wtf. Either way, easily yes.
upthorn
He/Him
Atma wrote:
I liked this movie, especially the water levels. He moves so fast! Just wondering though, what exactly happened in that stage where you were swimming with seemingly no water? that made me go wtf. Either way, easily yes.
It's a zero-g area. In the US version you have to grab anti-grav shoes from a chest before you can do that. but it still only works in that area.
If I could vote, I'd vote yes. Nice job.
DAYS GONE BY WITHOUT DEALING WITH AN IDIOT: 0 Counter Last Resetted by: Noone (Yet)
A great run of a great, overlooked game.
Former player
Voting yes on this.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Certainly.
I was originally going to vot "Meh" on this, but after seeing the impressive stuntwork in certain areas, and just from my desire to see this run, I'm voting a solid "Yes." A few things seem like they could use optimization, but otherwise a great run. Liked the water parts, the metronomes, and the spinner knobs. All awesome. Is it just me, or does this game seem like it uses certain Sonic sounds? o.o;
Former player
No complaints, easy yes. Not that it'd matter much with the overflowing enthusiasm about encoding Gen runs...
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1300)
I found the gameplay a little on the boring side (something about the character...) but the game makes up for it with its good presentation, and it's certainly played well.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [547] Genesis Ristar by upthorn in 28:17.37