Submission Text Full Submission Page
Welcome to Adventures in the Magic Kingdom, one of my most dreadful childhood memories. My mother, in all her goodly-wisdom, thought that this game would be perfect for me when I was around 8 years old. Why not, right? Disney, Mickey, Magic Kingdom... what's not to like?
Answer: EVERYTHING! I hope that whoever markted this game at children under 10 (and make no mistake, this game was obviously aimed for a young audience) gets beaten daily by drunken monkies.
I made my own route for the fastest time that I could think of, so as to backtrack as little as possible. Here's a rundown:
1. Question Kids - These get scattered all over the park so I tried to mix them in between rides to help quicken the pace. One kid threatens me that "Mickey will get angry" if the key is misgiven. Scary! No problems with the answers.
2. Space Mountain - This ride was incredibly boring and long. I don't know how they expect children to have these kind of twitch-reflexes for such a long ride. I could have saved a few frames by being more precise on frames for turning (I'm late a few times).
3. Autopia - I kinda screwed around in this one in a couple places, trying for more stars (they buy your powerups). Otherwise it was fine, but the other drivers are pretty unforgiving for racing against intended 6 year olds...
4. Haunted Mansion - This went very well. I see a few spots to shave off maybe half a second or so with the jumps and candles, oh well. The end boss takes 8 hits and is pretty aggressive so I buy an Invicible powerup to take him out faster.
5. Pirates of the Carribbean - Johhny Depp, is that you? This level needs you to save six maidens, run past some skeletons, etc. I made two mistakes here that I dont like. One, I used the Freeze powerup for the first jump across the firepit. I thought it would be long enough but it wasnt so I used an Invincible for the 2nd pit (should have done that in the first place for both pits). The other mistake was waiting too long on the pirate coins / skeletons, instead of blasting through them with another Invicible. Dang.
6. Big Thunder - The train ride is very straight foward, although in real time unless you know where you're going it could be pretty harsh at the end when you find out your work was all for nothing. No problems here.
And that's the end of the game! This was my first submission for a tool-assisted game. I've done them before starting with Mega Man 2 although mine never looked as good as the one already posted, so this is the best I've come up with, thus the submission Hope you enjoy watching a horrible game get trounced. :)
  • Miscellaneous Oddities*
1. Questions - To get one of the six silver keys in the game, you must run around the park answering some kids questions. Some of these aren't that bad, ie. 'What is the name of Mickey's dog?'. Some however are just out of this world! Take the following three questions in this "children's" game:
  a. Who portrayed the younger Hardy Boy?
  b. When is Mickey Mouse's birthday?
  c. Where was Davy Crocket born?
These questions would be fine - if you grew up in 1930. For the rest of the world, even back in 1985, this served a big problem. Your only hope was to either guess and keep retrying, or to go ask your grandparents. Worst of all, one of the children informs you that "Mickey will be angry if the key falls into the wrong hands". Yeah Mickey, I'd be angry too if my name was attached to this product.
2. When you rescue the six maidens from the Pirate level, the end scene is some weird old guy thanking you for saving everyone. Back off you creepy old dude, where's the chicks?
3. You see Mickey and Goofy's pictures throughout the game, but you never hear from Donald until the end credits (and then see him in the final shot). I just found it weird they threw him in at the last second.
4. At the start of the game they let you enter your name. What's very strange is if you hit Start (without picking anything) the game gives you a default name of "BAMBOO.7" What were they smoking when coming up with that one?

Truncated: As pointed out in the thread, the quality of this movie is rather low, therefore I will reject it. I'm unsure if we want to see an improved submission for this game, because as Kyrsimys put it:
... I'm reminded of what the game is like - extremely boring.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1079: Callmewoof's NES Adventures in the Magic Kingdom in 10:34.22
Well, thought it wasn't bad... this got an immediate No vote from me for the following reasons; 1. Re-Record count of 176? Um... this is a TAS which is supposed to go for perfection... and 176 re-records doesn't make me believe it's going to be anywhere near perfect. 700-100 is the most minimal amount I'd expect. 2. The following are why you should attempt to redo this run with this experience under your belt;
I could have saved a few frames by being more precise on frames for turning (I'm late a few times).
I see a few spots to shave off maybe half a second or so with the jumps and candles, oh well.
Pirates of the Carribbean... the whole level essentially.. due to the errors you pointed out. There was a few more, but I will get to those later as I have to finish getting ready for a meeting and awards banquet. Please don't feel that these comments are intended to be negative, as I only mean them to be the opposite. For your first ever attempt, it wasn't too bad, in all honesty. My suggestions? Try and use Frame Advance where ever possible to ensure every jump and move is optimized. Re-records are your friends :) Some of the best movies have incorporated over 100,000!!! in re-records to ensure perfection is attained every step of the way. Use this run as the practice for your next run. With this, you KNOW the rough route you have to take and can plan it a lot better, knowing where you can improve. Is it always better to use an invincibility to plow through enemies, or is it faster overall to practice avoidance? And finally... is that the most optimised position for all the kids for their questions, or is there another order to which you can arrange them to save even more time? That's it ^^ I wish you the best of luck and look forward to your next attempt, which I am confident, will blow this one away ^^ Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
Thank you very much for your help. The only reason I thought at first that the "I know I screwed up here 20 frames" stuff was acceptable is because I think theres a few accepted submissions here that talk about stuff like that. But you're right they do bother me and that's why I pointed them out. I think one of my biggest mistakes was only having 2 save-states the whole time, so screwing up in small ways usually meant "oh well keep going". I'm not claiming this as perfect and definately want constructive criticisim as that helps make a better movie. I guess this is only because it's my first time, but to me 176 retries felt like a ton! Semi-off topic, I don't know how to re-record. I mean I used save-states during recording to backtrack, but I dont know how to "stop now and start again later". I tried reading the FAQs here but couldn't seem to grasp it. Can anyone point me in the right direction with this? Again thank you ^.^
Samus taught us that a girl doesn't need brains to be successful. Brains are giant, evil, and vulnerable to missiles.
Skilled player (1885)
Callmewoof wrote:
Semi-off topic, I don't know how to re-record. I mean I used save-states during recording to backtrack, but I dont know how to "stop now and start again later". I tried reading the FAQs here but couldn't seem to grasp it. Can anyone point me in the right direction with this?
This is done by choosing "Replay Movie", with the "read-only mode" box unchecked. When the movie started playing, simply load the savestate you want to continue from. Good luck! :) I'll try to watch this submission tomorrow or so, and see if I can give some feedback on it. But generally, it's as Mr. Kelly R. Flewin said, use frame advance a lot, it's REALLY helpful, and don't be afraid to use savestates! You should especially use the frame advance function on menus and such. If you don't know how the frame advance function works, or have any other questions, feel free to ask. :)
Former player
I'm extremely familiar with this game. I've been thinking about TASing it but those thoughts have always vanshed when I'm reminded of what the game is like - extremely boring. As for the run, I feel the most unoptimized level was the haunted house. You used way too many candles. For example, you don't need to shoot anything in the beginning when you are outside. You can just jump over the zombies. I don't know if the flying ghost affected this so that if you had jumped you would've hit it. Same for the first room inside the house. If the zombie is walking towards you, you can jump over it. Also, when you are throwing a candle, make sure you are jumping when you throw it so that your movement will not be stopped. Also make sure that you throw the candle at the end of a jump since throwing the candle slows the jump down. As for the train level, I think you should have taken damage and gone straight through some of the rocks/gates instead of slowing down. Autopia: I'm not sure how many stars you actually used or how many were left over in the end, but I don't think slowing down is necessary at all. It's very ugly to slow down with the car. About the pirate level: In addition to the things you mentioned, the jump over the first barrel thrown out of the window looks very slow and ugly. I'm certain it could be done more smoothly. Anyway, I think your route with the questions was nice :) EDIT: Oh, and I'll throw in my vote now. It's a no, sorry.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, stale!
Banned User
I DEFINITELY voted yes! I just LOVE horrible, unskilled "TASes" that 6 year olds make more than ANYTHING else!
How can I help you King Dedede? I need a monster that can help me get Kirby. That´s what we do best at NME. You better give it with a money-back guarantee!
Editor, Skilled player (1504)
ColdStardust wrote:
I DEFINITELY voted yes! I just LOVE horrible, unskilled "TASes" that 6 year olds make more than anything else!
That was the wisest words you've ever said. what an idiot
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
Banned User
TASeditor wrote:
ColdStardust wrote:
I DEFINITELY voted yes! I just LOVE horrible, unskilled "TASes" that 6 year olds make more than anything else!
That was the wisest words you've ever said. what an idiot
This is the point of trolling is to make yourself look an idiot! Although, my point is, this TAS is HORRIBLE for an Adventures in the Magic Kingdom TAS. It is a disgrace to all TASes because there are NON-TAS SPEEDRUNS that are MUCH faster than this. Isn't the point of TASing to have "superhuman skills"? Well I don't see where the "superhuman skills" are. He misses frames several times, and it is extremely obvious in some parts. Also, the ghost level was just downright horrible. Callmewoof might as well have just done a speedrun of this game to get a time like this, and not even that. Even mere SPEEDRUNS have been 15 SECONDS better than this; no huge optimization or glitches or anything. This TAS is what I would call a complete fail! I wouldn't be surprised if this person wasn't older than 11 when he/she made this.
How can I help you King Dedede? I need a monster that can help me get Kirby. That´s what we do best at NME. You better give it with a money-back guarantee!
You do realize that you're bitching about something from 2006, right? And that there have been multiple other more recent and faster TASes submitted (and canceled for want of improvement), right?
Thanks for improperly and unneccesarily explaining what trolling is, I'm so happy you did that.