• FCEU 98.16
  • NTSC
  • No warps
  • Takes damage to save time
  • As fast as possible!
This beats the Famtasia run of this game (using the same settings) by 6189 frames (103 seconds).

Game summary

Super Turrican is a somewhat popular series of games, and this is the NES version. It was created by one guy--the programming is quite good but the game design is not. The levels are huge, but tend to be linear. There are quite a few weapons, and a number of interesting maneuvers.
Your gun can get quite a few powerups throughout the game, although a speed run doesn't make much use of them. You also have a flamethrower, which activates after holding the fire button for a while. You have a limited-use weapon that shoots fireballs in many directions. I call this weapon the "Special." It does the most damage of any weapon, and proved to be extremely useful for killing bosses. However, the Special attack can't be fired until all the fireballs from the previous Special have disappeared.
Your most potent weapon, however, is changing forms. I call it ball form, but really you look like a sawblade. While in ball form, you're immune to most types of damage, and you damage any enemy you go through. It's also the fastest form of travel. The downside is, you can't jump in ball form.
There are 4 difficulty settings. However they only affect enemy HP and don't change the run at all, other than making boss fights a little longer. So I elected to use the default difficulty of 2, as the Famtasia run did.
If you enjoy the process of frame-optimization, you'll love this game. There are many ways to perform every jump, and it's rarely obvious what will be fastest. Sometimes a 1-pixel difference in position will translate into a couple frames saved or lost.

PAL vs NTSC

I decided on NTSC because: that's what the Famtasia run used; the game runs fine; and it doesn't even output any more scanlines while in PAL than in NTSC.
Older versions of FCEU (I used the 98.16 I released a couple months ago) don't properly detect PAL/NTSC settings from the movie. If the movie doesn't sync in your FCEU, it's because it's trying to run in PAL mode. Try deleting the "(E)" from the ROM name and it should work.

Some tricks

I couldn't find any interesting glitches in this game, but there's a lot of subtle tricks to save frames.
The most obvious trick, probably intentional, is that you can jump after leaving ball form, even if you're not on the ground.
While in ball form, you bounce after dropping to the ground. But you can prevent that by switching out of ball form for 1 frame. I use this "bounce-canceling" frequently.
Conversely, you can often force yourself to bounce while in ball form. By going over an edge and then coming back, you'll bounce. This is not present in the Famtasia movie and saved me quite a bit of time. You can clear small gaps without leaving ball form, and you can do an extra high jump by bouncing, and then jumping at the peak of your bounce.
Damage boosting: When you take damage, you are instantly propelled about 8 pixels horizontally.
Note for future runners: to monitor boss HP, look at memory address 43F.

Level Notes

In total, I saved 6189 frames over the Famtasia run. Since I don't have Famtasia (and Famtasia doesn't have a frame counter), the frames saved per level are estimates.

1-1

Frames saved: 125
Uses a Special wastefully (it does save a few frames, but it could probably be put to better use). Fortunately that's ok. I have extra Specials later in the run.

1-2

Frames saved: 156
Lots of jumps and bouncing tricks made this level difficult to optimize. At the very end, I stand up and exit ball form, because for some reason, that lets me exit the level a few frames earlier.

1-3

Frames saved: 650 (mostly on boss fight)
Right away in the level, I avoid bad bounces in ball form by standing up for 1 frame, and then going right back into ball form.
The boss absorbs 1 hit per frame. I use two Specials on him to get maximum damage per second. (After this boss, there are minor graphical glitches in the level.)

2-1

Frames saved: 61
Around frame 7000 I intentionally snag an edge to regain maneuverability (after falling for a while, you lose your ability to control horizontal movement), which allows me to take a slightly faster route.

2-2

Frames saved: 128
At the beginning of the level, I move right just enough while falling, so that I don't snag the first edge but can get on the second ledge. Without the early right movement, I wouldn't be able to get the second ledge. This innocent-looking maneuver is actually very frame-precise and wasn't present in the Famtasia movie.

2-3

Frames saved: 914 (mostly on boss fight)
This boss, unlike the others, absorbs any number of hits per frame. So I jump inside of his hitbox and rapidly fire my Special. He absorbs all the hits, taking 720 damage in no time!

3-1

Frames saved: 40
This has a lot of elevators and so is nearly an autoscroller. Strangely, as long as you get your neck above the platforms, the game will pull you up.
I take advantage of the slow platforms and kill a bunch of extra baddies. I manipulate the drops to get more Specials, which will be handy for the bosses!
Around frame 13400, I jump down a platform because the screen has actually scrolled too high, and the game glitches if I stay on it.

3-2

Frames saved: 266
Nothing special here. It's a large level but very linear.

3-3

Frames saved: 370 (mostly on boss fight)
Again, I use a Special to kill the boss much more quickly than the previous run.

4-1

Frames saved: 176
The ground is uneven in a lot of places in this level, so there's a lot of careful bouncing while in ball form. I actually ran into a health problem late in the level (frames 20200 onward) so had to hesitate a few frames once in a while to stay alive.

4-2

Frames saved: 156
Around frame 22100, I get the only opportunity in this run to show a secret block, which are revealed when you shoot them and give you powerups.

4-3

Frames saved: 422 (mostly on boss fight)
Like 3-1, another elevator level. This boss actually has less HP than the others, so it only takes a second to kill him with a Special. The boss doesn't spawn until the screen has scrolled all the way up, so I jump to make it scroll faster.

5-1

Frames saved: 658
This is the only map in the game that really has viable alternate paths. I wasn't convinced that the Famtasia run used the fastest route, so I actually mapped out (almost) the whole level. The result is a slightly faster route. I also save some time by bouncing off of some bad guys' heads. I had to manage my health carefully because there are many spots where you either have to kill an enemy or take damage.
This was the only map where I found use for a high-jump trick: force yourself to bounce while in ball form, then jump while at the peak of your bounce.
Because I take a shorter route, I kill less bad guys and fall behind the Famtasia run in score. Oh well.

5-2

Frames saved: 1104 (mostly in boss fights)
A short level with 2 minibosses at the end. At frame 28000 I jump really high, because the screen has to scroll up before the boss appears. Both the bosses in this level were annoying to do because they jump around so much, avoiding most of the Special attack.

5-3

Frames saved: 963
The final boss. First you have to break the shield. The shield absorbs any number of hits each frame, so I autofire my Special to kill it quickly. The actual boss is slow to kill because he has a very small hitbox. I can only hit him with a small fraction of my Special attack, but using the Special still gives the most damage per second. Once I run out of Specials, I kill him with my flamethrower in a very unexciting manner.

adelikat Accepting.
A good improvement over an existing Famtasia run.

Bisqwit: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1087: Luke's NES Super Turrican in 08:38.70
Former player
Voting yes: this is a great improvement over the existing run. Some of the fights were terrifyingly fast, and the overall routes used were great as well. Good job, champ.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Former player
I, conversely, cant even get this to sync past the first part of the first level. when I tried enabling/disabling pal emulation, it synced for about 10 seconds, and then crapped out. not to mention there were a surprisingly large amount of graphical glitches in that 10 second period. I think I'll pass from both watching and voting.
I don't get it. Is this made with a PAL rom emulating NTSC? Wouldn't that make it run faster than it's supposed to do?
Player (84)
Atma wrote:
I, conversely, cant even get this to sync past the first part of the first level. when I tried enabling/disabling pal emulation, it synced for about 10 seconds, and then crapped out. not to mention there were a surprisingly large amount of graphical glitches in that 10 second period. I think I'll pass from both watching and voting.
I mentioned this in my comments (pretty long, I know...), but your problem is probably with an FCEU glitch about PAL/NTSC mode. Rename the ROM file to something not containing (E) -- for example, "Super Turrican.nes". I've tested it in nitsuja's FCEU 98.15 and it synced fine using this trick. Hope this helps. The glitch is that FCEU will use PAL mode, regardless of your settings or the movie settings, if the movie name contains an "(E)".
Use the force
Active player (308)
Straighforward: WHERE DID YOU FIND A 98.16 FCEU????????
"Genuine self-esteem, however, consists not of causeless feelings, but of certain knowledge about yourself. It rests on the conviction that you — by your choices, effort and actions — have made yourself into the kind of person able to deal with reality. It is the conviction — based on the evidence of your own volitional functioning — that you are fundamentally able to succeed in life and, therefore, are deserving of that success." - Onkar Ghate
Bisqwit wrote:
Drama, too long, didn't read, lol.
Player (84)
Thaurlom wrote:
I don't get it. Is this made with a PAL rom emulating NTSC? Wouldn't that make it run faster than it's supposed to do?
I don't know, but from reading the older topics, I guess they decided to use NTSC time and not convert to PAL. It appears that this ROM is intended to run fine in either mode. And I didn't want to submit a slower run... I asked in the forum, a few people responded and unanimously said go ahead with NTSC.
98.16 FCEU????????
http://media2.uploadjar.com/file.php?file=uploads/fceu.zip I added a few features and put in new mappers from another FCEU project, hence 98.16. A few games are emulated that 98.15 did not, but most things run the same in both versions. Hopefully I will get back to it soon and fix a couple things.
Use the force
Active player (308)
"Genuine self-esteem, however, consists not of causeless feelings, but of certain knowledge about yourself. It rests on the conviction that you — by your choices, effort and actions — have made yourself into the kind of person able to deal with reality. It is the conviction — based on the evidence of your own volitional functioning — that you are fundamentally able to succeed in life and, therefore, are deserving of that success." - Onkar Ghate
Bisqwit wrote:
Drama, too long, didn't read, lol.
Former player
Luke wrote:
I mentioned this in my comments (pretty long, I know...), but your problem is probably with an FCEU glitch about PAL/NTSC mode. Rename the ROM file to something not containing (E) -- for example, "Super Turrican.nes". I've tested it in nitsuja's FCEU 98.15 and it synced fine using this trick. Hope this helps. The glitch is that FCEU will use PAL mode, regardless of your settings or the movie settings, if the movie name contains an "(E)".
That's a pretty damn stupid bug. after removing the (E), it did actually play fine. Was quite impressive too, love that vertical climbing speed :) yes vote.
SXL
I solved the problem by updating my fceu version with the one provided in this very topic, works fine. the game is well played, the most impressive thing is probably the moments where the character makes continuous upward jumps. the wheel is a bit repetitive but the platforms are perfectly jumped at/from, which gives a very "pro" touch. I vote yes. one question about this 0.98.16 version btw : I paused the movie (windowed), changed some settings, resumed playing and then most colors disappeared (red turned blue for instance). is it a bug ?
I never sleep, 'cause sleep is the cousin of death - NAS
Tub
It was created by one guy--the programming is quite good but the game design is not.
Is that really true? Sure, it was put together by one man (Manfred Trenz), but it is heavily based on Turrican 1 and Turrican 2 (that were released 2 years earlier). I know Trenz worked on the earlier games as well, but I really doubt that the things he reused were 100% his own. Does anyone have more information than the ingame-credits? I'll watch the run when I'm back at my home computer. Edit: yes vote
m00
Former player
I think the word 'creating' here means programming, graphics, music etc. and not the ideas themselves.
Tub
graphics, monsters, some level layouts and maybe part of the programming were reused as well. I'm not refering to the ideas alone.
m00
Rocking. It's faster than the previous one, looks cool and is blazingly fast. Easy yes. Only gripe is that music is music doesn't rock as much as the Chris Hülsbeck's originals (Amiga, Turrican II is the win).
"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." ( Pratchett & Gaiman: Good Omens )
Former player
This gets a yes vote from me. It was blazing fast and entertaining and it improves a famtasia run by 103 seconds!! Awesome work Luke.
Player (57)
I paused the movie (windowed), changed some settings, resumed playing and then most colors disappeared (red turned blue for instance). is it a bug ?
I have the same problem with my new emulator. By the way I'm voting YES!
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
I was about to Accept this submission when I noticed something: If you hold B as you come out of the ball form, you run instead of walk. You don't spend that much time outside of ball form, but the times when you do you could be moving a lot faster. Unless I'm missing something important, that would spell rejection for this movie.
Editor, Active player (296)
So that's what it meant when people were rating the existing Super Turrican movie lower than I thought. I somehow didn't notice this submission before :o If it's faster than the existing movie (even by this wide marginal), it should be accepted. However, I'm concerned about Truncated's finding. Does the author comment? Is there a new movie being made? If there is, or there is potential that a new movie will be made, it should not be accepted.
Editor, Active player (296)
Bisqwit wrote:
However, I'm concerned about Truncated's finding. Does the author comment? Is there a new movie being made? If there is, or there is potential that a new movie will be made, it should not be accepted.
No author comment? No new movie being made?
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [555] NES Super Turrican by Luke in 08:38.70
Banned User, Former player
The case of Rygar was similar to this: The european version was used in famtasia, which only emulates with ntsc settings. However, once this was noticed, the *true* time (ie. the time which the run would be if it had been run in pal mode) was given to the movie, not the actual time of the video (iow 20% was added to this actual time). Later Rygar runs were then made in pal mode so actual and true time were the same. I don't understand why this cannot be done with super turrican too. OTOH, scratch that, since bisqwit is telling me that super turrican is different from rygar in that it detects the pal/ntsc settings all by itself and runs equally fast in both. I'm posting this anyways, to make things clear... :P
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
I watched this on moozooh's recommendation. Fast paced throughout, and this can't be stressed enough. This TAS never slows down! Great music - only 4-1 wasn't too good. Nice graphics, though not too colorful. The boss's explosion animations were top notch. A TAS of this game takes the control and makes it look like a blast to play. I'm not sure if this is the case when playing real time, but this was a great watch.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Site Admin, Skilled player (1235)
HD encode (last for 2010) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cVmmNqxYkE
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.