Submission Text Full Submission Page
A tool assisted speedrun of the Genesis version of 'Ghouls N Ghosts' using Gens v2.11. Aims for fastest time. Aims for no damage. Plays on Hardest Difficulty.
As the story goes, Knight Arthur must fight against the true king of the Demon World, Loki, who has taken many souls including that of Arthur's beloved Princess.
This is my first attempt at a toolassisted speedrun so it's not entirely perfect but i hope it entertains people enough.

Truncated: As noted in the topic, this has lots of possibilities for improvements, and cannot be accepted as such.
Do not take this as discouragement - basically the first movie for everyone who ever submitted something here, was not of very good quality. Instead, listen to the people suggesting things that could be done better, and try again.
Additionally, I would suggest using the stage select to start the second quest of the game immediately. In this circumstance it is considered allowed.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1089: RetroHolo's Genesis Ghouls N Ghosts in 19:20.47
Former player
I'm going to have to vote no on this one. This movie has a few flaws, ranging from missed shots and missed jumps to overkill and some bad strategy. The main thing that seemed wrong in this movie is that you killed alot of the enemies you saw, even if you had to turn around and go back to kill it. This was especially apparant in the first stage, where you stood around and killed vultures and such for what i'd estimate to be 5- 10 or so seconds (this was also very apparant in a later stage, where you kill more or less everything in sight before proceeding). The missed jumps looked rather bad, and there was more than one case of it, not missing them would've saved you a bit of time, same goes for missed shots (did the final boss take damage when you shot it every second time since it didn't flash? If it didn't, that'd be an oppurtunity for timesaving also). In the last stage (both times), you kill the right head and then the left (at the point where there's two heads on poles, so to speak, that have to be destroyed to progress) after. I think killing the left first would be a better idea since it'd put you closer to the wall which dissapears when you kill the right one, allowing faster progress (same goes for killling the left of the two giants shortly after, unless both have to be killed to progress). Now, a few questions: Which weapon does the most damage excluding the light ball you get on the second run? Are charged abilities really not worth using on bosses? When you had the dagger (which seemed to have a useful charge ability), why didn't you have the charge already prepared to use on the boss right when it spawned (and several other occasions where it would've saved time)? Hmm, I think that covers most that comes to mind. Also, don't be discouraged from doing a future TAS by this post, as it's not my intention to scare you away. I just think that it needs a bit more refinement :)
Former player
I made a movie of the first stage, but unfortunately it went out of sync because Arthur didn't jump like he was supposed to at one place, so I wont post it. Anyway, jumping is a tad bit faster than running along the ground, so constant jumping will help, also you can throw stuff in 4 directions while jumping without any pause, which means that you should never have to stop unless you're forced by something like a guillotine. (I was forced to stop at one, but only for like 10 frames) I'll see if I can fix the first stage I played, then I'll post the movie, you can use it as a kind of "guide" or something like that. Edit: http://files.upl.silentwhisper.net/upload5/Ghouls_--N_Ghosts_-REV_01-_-JUE-_---.rar I hope the persons who wants to see this can open .rar files, anyway it's definetely improvable, and you could also kill more to gain more points, getting another weapon from the chest I wait at may also speed things up later in the game, I don't know.
Former player
Graveworm wrote:
I'll see if I can fix the first stage I played, then I'll post the movie, you can use it as a kind of "guide" or something like that. Edit: http://files.upl.silentwhisper.net/upload5/Ghouls_--N_Ghosts_-REV_01-_-JUE-_---.rar I hope the persons who wants to see this can open .rar files, anyway it's definetely improvable, and you could also kill more to gain more points, getting another weapon from the chest I wait at may also speed things up later in the game, I don't know.
That was very impressive, The constant jumping looks good, and you miss enemies by mere pixels. You even get treasure before the chest evens breaks :) I'd think for the first level, the lance is probably the best weapon, since you can fire multiple quite quickly, and they move fast (and dont change trajectory on you). the sword is probably a bad idea due to low area range, the disc due to a bad special, the dagger special is ok, but it seems the lance one is better, and I didn't test the other two (axe/holy...ball?).
thanks for the tips...it being my first one i knew it wouldn't be perfect, but i'm gonna go back to it and use these pointers to make it better. Good stuff. The jumping looks good i'm gonna use that...now to beat the game in less than 15 minutes. heh. -J.
"The Flowers are Still Standing!"