I used Snes9X v1.43+ v9 for Windows with WIP1 timing to make this movie.
My goals in this movie were to complete the game on the hardest difficulty as fast as possible while only killing the enemies that were absolutely necessary to kill. (editor's note: i.e. this is a pacifist version.) This applies to enemy bullets and missiles as well; I don’t shoot them either.
I had to use luck manipulation when fighting the worm boss on the last level in order to get it to spit the larva monsters straight instead of down. That way I was able to shoot the boss without killing any of the little monsters.
In some scenes the player appears to have bullets or monsters pass through him without taking any damage. This was able to be done by hitting the down button every other frame. If started on the proper frame, it would change the player's hit box while keeping the animation the same. On another note, if I started hitting the down button on the wrong frame, it would change the animation, but not the hit box, so it would appear that the player was being killed by bullets that were missing him.

Bisqwit: Submission file replaced per author's request.

adelikat: Due to popular demand, I am accepting this run.

DeHackEd: Due to popular publications, I'm publishing this.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Former player
I voted yes, because I did enjoy watching it, but why? There's already one on this site and it's quicker than this.
Former player
Voting meh. Seemed pretty fast, and some things seemed like they were done faster than they were in the published movie, but the whole pacifist idea isn't really impressive.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Former player
I can't vote either, but i like this movie. The pacifist idea is very good in Contra games because of the insane amount of enemies in the screen. I just think that him can finish the movie some frames earlier. (Newbie question: What is Meh?!)
Not more working on: DKC3 105% < Needs modified Nitsuja Snes9x+9, with reset recording.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
You ended the movie a little late, but personally I thought this was great. There are so many enemies on this game's hard mode that a pacifist run is actually fun to watch. I vote yes.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
Nibelung wrote:
(Newbie question: What is Meh?!)
It is not important to know what "Meh" means. If you want to know, it is here: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Meh Basically, voting Meh means "I don't want to decide whether to vote Yes or No." I recommend not to vote Meh. Better not to vote.
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
What FractalFusion said about the meaning. It's similar to "I don't care if this is published or not, either one is fine with me." I disagree with not using it and think it conveys useful information when judging. Seeing a movie with many Meh-votes is more informative than a movie with no votes at all.
Former player
I vote Meh too. Some parts can do much faster :p
Current Projects: ???
Former player
If you think there are places where the movie could be made faster, tell me where they are. That way I can understand what you are talking more specifically and try to improve them.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Sami, do you realize this is a pacifist (doesn't kill unnecessary enemies) run? Parts could indeed be done faster by killing more enemies, but are there any you spotted that would still avoid killing unnecessary enemies?
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Former player
Ash: I'm not so good in mark about the time (as you can see in my post count... i'm new here). But as Viewer, i just dislike 2 things. The battle with the "brain" (I don't know the name fo that boss). You fight with him just choosing the "rock" sphere. It will be more entertaining (that word is correct spelled?) if you change the boss attacks only a little. Stay stoped and shooting is not so atractive. The second thing is just about the movie end. It is so late. You can finish it in the frame 51940 for sure. (or something like that). But this don't be enough to say that you job here isn't great. Congratulations. PS: Thanks for the answer, FractalFusion and Truncated.
Not more working on: DKC3 105% < Needs modified Nitsuja Snes9x+9, with reset recording.
Ambassador, Experienced player (696)
I watched and found this quite entertaining. It's also very fast with quite a few neat tricks. 2 players would have been cool but very hard to make. There doesn't seem to be any reason to keep recording after beating the climbing brain. You have plenty of time to play around earlier in the game. Resubmit with the input ending as soon as possible and I'll vote yes. Nibelung, the rock may be boring, but it gives you the most shots on the brain and therefore the fastest kill. You could get close with some of the other attacks, but probably not quite as good.
Former player
Ok I put in a request to update the video. The new version is the same but it ends right when the last boss is killed. I guess I just have to wait and see what happens.
Former player
Ash Williams wrote:
Ok I put in a request to update the video. The new version is the same but it ends right when the last boss is killed. I guess I just have to wait and see what happens.
Did you take a page out of Phil and Genisto's book and kill the last boss with a grenade? That way, you can end the movie even ealier!
Active player (277)
But does the game end when you no longer have to do anything, or does it end when victory is assured as soon as possible?
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Former player
The latter. It's been discussed. Also, even if you somehow commandered the game after the thermal is released, you couldn't die fast enough to negate the end sequence.
Active player (277)
What about games where you can't kill the character at the end to lose, but you could hit the pause button to delay the ending indefinitely? Would you have to keep recording until the game finally ignores that pause button?
Former player
No, because encoders don't press the pause key when encoding. Anyone watching the smv of the publication would probably put two and two together eventually, and they would unpause it to get the desired effect.
Active player (277)
Yeah, but what if... um... they were leaning on the pause key by accident? It could happen! It would be a big distraction from the viewing experience, and they'd probably have to encode it all over again!
Former player
Then they pay for their mistake by having to encode it all over again.
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
Bag of Magic Food wrote:
But does the game end when you no longer have to do anything, or does it end when victory is assured as soon as possible?
Bag of Magic Food wrote:
What about games where you can't kill the character at the end to lose, but you could hit the pause button to delay the ending indefinitely? Would you have to keep recording until the game finally ignores that pause button?
Have you read this? http://tasvideos.org/Rules.html#3_the_exact_termination_point_is_subject_to_debate_ Just wondering.
Active player (277)
I know it's subject to debate, and I felt like debating it for a bit!
Former player
TheAxeMan wrote:
Nibelung, the rock may be boring, but it gives you the most shots on the brain and therefore the fastest kill. You could get close with some of the other attacks, but probably not quite as good.
Yeah, i know. That is why i said i was talking just like a viewer. ^^
Former player
Ok so the movie file has been updated; it now ends when the brain is killed. The rest of the movie is the same, I just ended it earlier. It ends on frame 51915 now.
AnS
Emulator Coder, Experienced player (723)
Yes vote for invulnerable pacifist run! I like when movies make hard game look easy and also when movie makes viewer think that player is cheating (when he wasn't). Although I knew (from submission text) about collision glitch, it still looks a lot like hacked game or something of this kind - so much playing with death was performed.