Post subject: Conker's Bad Fur Day
That's right, boys and girls, send the wife and kids out for the day, because this game is one of the raunchiest, most adult games ever produced. It features cursing, toilet humor, violence, alcohol, and tons more! I'm going to try and make this my first (official) TAS. It's a fairly long game without the cutscenes... 2 or so hours is the current SDA run, and I'm sure that gets through the cutscenes. However, because of the SRAM rule, the cutscenes CAN'T be skipped (they're funny as hell, anyway :P), so add on nearly a half hour and take away about 5 minutes (maybe) and we have our run. The current question is this: Minimalist or 100%? You can only really skip 1 or 2 wads of cash, so what's the point of a "minimalist" 99% run? As for a route, I think the later I can do Poo Cabin, the better, but I may have to do part of it early to access Bats Tower. It's looking right now to be: Hungover Barn Boys Bats Tower Poo Cabin + Great Mighty Poo Uga Buga Spooky It's War The Heist (ending)
Player (135)
Good luck with this, but what can you add to the SDA run other than better / more optimized movement? Are there any extremely difficult maneuvers that you plan to pull off? Do you have a faster or harder strategy for collecting anything or completing any areas of the game? Does this game really need a TAS?
I'm currently working on that. It would at least be interesting to see if there's anything I can pull off. I know for a fact there are quite a few areas that have very small windows for optimization. I'm taking a look at the SDA, and I know that it's not fully optimized in several areas, especially War. (War and the Heist should be really noticably optimized, because I can make it so I never miss a shot) Those things aside, it doesn't necessarily have to be for speed. It can be a demonstration of difficult maneuvers or other fun and interesting little aspects of the game.
qqwref wrote:
Good luck with this, but what can you add to the SDA run other than better / more optimized movement?
Strange question. Isn't that part of what this site is all about? Sure, there's also glitch abuses and luck manipulation, but if those aren't possible in a game, that doesn't mean you can't make a good TAS run for it.
Former player
Since the game is so easy, and since the controls are so flighty, the speedrun's time probably won't be much slower than a tool assisted run, assuming that no huge glitches are discovered.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
I'll tell you right now that the special weapon controls are crap in this game. You get no targeting reticle (except for the machine guns late game), and you can only kill zombies with a headshot. It's required to kill at least 12 zombies (more to clear the path later) in Spooky for Gregg to open a door. Being able to do stuff quickly and efficiently would definitely make a great TAS. Get the crap done quickly and watch the best parts. Except for a bit of minor emulator lag in places, the game runs near-perfect. (Blur effects from pause, inebriation, etc. screw up the screen) I watched pieces of the SDA run, and I've gotta say that with frame-advance and slowdown, I'll definitely be able to shave quite a bit of time off of that run. It'll definitely be under 2 hours. I haven't found much in the way of glitches, but not all the games on the site have to run like SMB1 or Rockman, do they? :) And try the game on a rom, especially if you can use a cheat to open up Chapters and try out War and Spooky, and you'll see what I mean by "crap controls."
I remember in Spooky, I was able to skip a big chunk of the level. In one of the big main rooms, top floor, instead of following the path of the level around, I managed to get around the wrong way by jumping on the rafters and stuff.
I would look for big sequence breakers. In both Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time they have contributed to making the run both faster and more entertaining. Glitching into a later area of the game early is not only cool, but often allows you to not even complete earlier levels (as in OoT).
Player (135)
Isn't this game sort of linear, though? If you can break into a later area of the game, you shouldn't have to beat the earlier part of the game, since its only purpose is to allow you into the later part. But it would be really hard to actually break into a later part of the game.
Games on the N64 is somewhat glitchy as the developers hasn't grasped the concept on how exactly a 3D-ish game would work - or something like that. So, it MIGHT be possible to find several glitches in Conker's Bad Fur Day.
Well, I'm back from my trip to Alabama. I'm gonna try a test run of some of the earlier stuff. Probably not optimized to the maximum, but definitely tool-assisted (like the catapult/aiming, gawd I hate the controls and inaccuracy of those things). Probably just gonna head through Barn Boys. It has quite a bit of stuff that I've seen I can do well with frame-advance.
The file I make keeps desyncing on me. I couldn't tell you why it does for my life, it just does. It's wierd. I've got a fairly good run through Hungover, and when I find a way to get around the desync problem, I'll get a test up of Hungover, Mrs. Bee, the dung beetles, and all of Barn Boys.
Former player
'raunchiest, most adult'? No no no. 'toilet-humor-laced, immature jokes repeated ad nauseum' - there ya go. Fixed that for ya. Conker is about as 'adult' in the humor department as Scary Movie was.
Yeah, Leisure Suit Larry, Magna Cum Laude was MUCH more adult that that.
No WIPs or progress reports, hope this project hasn't been dumped cause I'd like to see a run of it, thought the game was hard as freak due to the crap controls (that last boss took me forever and a day to get so many throws out the damn door)
Post subject: Conker's Bad Fur Day - Capture the Flag
Former player
This is an idea I recently thought of and would be really cool to see it be pulled off. The Mode Multiplayer -> War -> Colors The set up: 3 minutes 1 Score Radar off AI set to Einstein 1 Player 1 Squirrel(Player) vs 8 Teddiz The Goal: The Player(squirrel) gets the Teddiz flag by any means necessary and returns it back to its base without dying once and before the Teddiz return the Squirrels flag to their base.
Chamale
He/Him
Player (178)
Would it roll "credits" or a "you win" screen afterwards? TASes are much preferred if something like this happens.
Experienced player (601)
Heck, sometimes even if you reach the credits and a screen that says "congratulations" in a legitmate way, people complain and reject your movie because they say you didn't beat it: http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5432 The rules are not always consistent though, many (published) TAS' don't choose to start on the first level or end on the last level or play all the levels...
Current Project: - Mario Kart 64
Former player
Well you do get this screen after you win:
Chamale
He/Him
Player (178)
Well, that should be good enough provided the run is fast-paced, well-done and entertaining.
Experienced player (601)
Having played this game in multiplayer and beaten it in single player, I don't think there is any way that this TAS would be interesting. The fact is, this is essentially a deathmatch or CTF (can't recall which) for which a TAS would not be exciting, IMHO.
Current Project: - Mario Kart 64
So...you wouldn't even shoot anything?
Here's a TAS I did of head shots a while ago. Entertaining? You decide.. http://youtube.com/watch?v=f5ruG1-YF3Y In my experience.. Multiplayer desyncs a lot.
JarrardKO wrote:
Here's a TAS I did of head shots a while ago. Entertaining? You decide.. http://youtube.com/watch?v=f5ruG1-YF3Y In my experience.. Multiplayer desyncs a lot.
I have many fond memories of playing this game back in middle school. Unfortunately, the video doesn't look great. It looks like you spend time aiming, which is a huge no no for a TAS. Why not run single player?
Don't let my sloppy TASing effect the entertainment potential with the weapons! :) So APM, has their been any progress lately?