Donkey Kong Country Any% - By Arne the great.

When Sami submitted his run, I was more than half through my 101% run. I noticed several things from Alex's 101% that Sami forgot to include so when I was done with my 101% run I decided to improve the any%.
When I started the run I expected to save about 3-10 seconds in total but it also seemed harder than I thought but after a while I saved more and more time and huge time savers like Mine Cart Madness.
  • 2349 Frames faster than Previous run.
    • 39,15 seconds.
    • 2.6% faster.
  • In-game timer is 21:28,45 (Seconds are not displayed but are kept track of)
  • Emulator used: SNES9x 1.43+ improvement9
    • WIP1 Timing ON
  • Takes damage to save time.
  • Aims for fastest time.
  • Uses warps.
  • Abuses programming errors in the game.
  • Manipulates luck.

New Tricks & Glitches used.

Mostly of all new tricks & glitches are listed at my 101% run. But there is some more new.

Jumproll

This is a rather odd glitch that makes you to get into the jump animation (if you jumped at an enemy) and make a roll which you won't fall of either. I knew about this trick in my 101% run but was not used except in Tanked up trouble for fun.
To perform this trick you simply jumps on an enemy and roll on the same enemy at the same time. And how to do that? You can do it in a mine cart stage where you do the endless rolling trick and jump on an enemy and roll at the same time. You can also use a tire to glide down on an enemy from the tire and then roll.
I don't think there was anymore?

Level by level

Going to list how much I saved on each level and how I did it.

Jungle Hijinxs

There was nothing special here beside a extended roll and some smoother movement.
21 frames saved.

Orang-utan gang

I'm disappointed at my own peformence here but there was still not much to improve however.
2 frames saved.

Clam City

Water stages are really hard to do absolutely perfect and there is always room for improvement on them like here where I just move closer to the corners and such.
68 frames saved

Bumble B Rumble

There is never really much to improve on bosses but here I made the bee closer to the ground at the last blow.
2 frames saved

Snow Barrel Blast

On this level I did some smoother movements like better rolling but saved most time on that Speed-barrel trick.
142 frames saved

Slip Slide Ride

Fast rope climbing combined with smoother movements save more time than one thinks.
43 frames saved

Ice Age Alley

Give the ostrich a cookie and he flies faster for you. It's all about love. No seriously there was no special here beside running along slopes more.
21 frames saved.

Croctopus Chase

The longest stage in the whole game and it's a waterstage! I did as good as I could and saved a lot of time but I saved about 34 frames by skipping a DK barrel and I did that because when you have one character on the map screen it is often about 10 frames faster.
216 (182) frames saved.

Torchlight trouble

I had to take the DK barrel here which cost me 34 frames but I did however saved about 10 frames on the map screen.
11 (45) frames saved.

Rope Bridge Rumble

Here is a thing that Sami forgot to include and it is that tire whcih Sami waited for but I jumped directly on it. It is a hard trick and you can't do it without slowing down a bit and I didn't really know why I sometimes could do it and why I sometimes I could. The reason was that you just had to scroll back a bit so the tire spawned a bit later. I wasted 3500 rerecords for that trick only.
115 frames saved.

Really gnawty rampage

Nothing here...

Oil Drum Alley

I did some minor tactics changes here and some rolling tricks.
106 frames saved.

Trick Track Trek

Sami slowed a bit down when jumping on the enemy, I didn't.:)
11 frames saved.

Elevator antics

This is a fun level but a boring level to TAS and the thing I saved time on was better rolling and making these last elevators spawn at earlist frame possible.
126 frames saved.

Poison pond

Better use of swimming here and some minor changes. 60 frames saved.

Mine Cart MADNESS

This is just what the name implies, it's mad! A very fast stage where I used a lot of that Jumproll trick and I was very accurate about what was faster and what wasn't. And no, you can't countinue roll where I stop.
500 frames saved!!!

Blackout basement

This is where the Extending rolling is really useful and I did some really long rolls and skipped the two ropes.

Boss Dumb Drum

I died at Mine Cart Madness so I had to take a DK barrel here and loose 34 frames but I only lost 27! I found a way to make a jumpslap here :)
27 frames lost

Tanked Up Trouble

I did never think I could save so much time as I did on this stage. I didn't have to wait on the platform where I rolled to the kremling and I saved huge amounts of time here. I also changed some of the order to take the fuels in a more risky way.
425 frames saved!!!

Manic mincers

Mmmm... Cinnamon buns with coffee.... eeerr... Manic mincers right! These last stages are not funny to TAS but this one is OK and the diffrents here is mostly that I didn't die with Rambi but instead just jump off him.
31 frames faster!

Misty Mine

Rolling improvement here.
63 frames saved

Loopy Lights

Really boring to do but I just smoothed things up.
47 frames saved

Platform Perils

This is such a bore to do and I tried Hex-Editing but DKC seems very hard to Hex-edit but I did an effort and finished it but I guess everything here isn't absolutely frame perfect...
79 frames saved

Necky's Revenge

I just discovered something strange at the corners which can allow you to duck in air but however I saved time by just be on the ground when boss die and I got Donkey to run instead of walk, he can't wait to kick Krools butt.
14 frames saved.

Gang-plank galleon

Aaahh... the last boss with awesome music and much to play with. ^^ I'm very satisfied with the result and I found it to be very entertaining :) And I stealed some frames by ending the movie earlier, yes I'm very lame :)
1 frame saved!

The End

Dunno about what to write here besides to thank to everyone who supported me and just this whole TAS-community. Thank you.
Oh, I can tell you that I'm working on DKC2 any% (yes, what a dkc geek I am) and maybe later 102%!
And I hope you enjoy watching it!

adelikat: officially accepting this run. Since DeHackEd is in the process of encoding it I am setting it to publication underway.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1116: Arne_the_great's SNES Donkey Kong Country in 24:23.88
Player (223)
I don't know much about the series, but that sure was awesome. Voted yes. !
<adelikat> I've been quoted with worse
Former player
Bablo wrote:
!
Seconded! Awesome run Arnator, wonderful job. Voting yes of course and I wish you good luck with your other runs :)
Tompa
Any
Editor, Expert player (2141)
Very nice done! You guys are always finding new tricks, when will we see another improvement, Arne? :D
I loved the mine cart rolling there, looked too funny to see the monkey (Ook! Sorry, ape) fly while curled up like a fetus.
Skilled player (1885)
Hehe, good job Arne. And I agree with KDR_11k, the mine cart rolling was amazing... great job on that part. And overall, very precise movements, and some nice new tricks too. Voting yes, and "bra jobbat", as we say! ;)
Former player
Thank you everyone for the nice comments. :)
Tompa wrote:
Very nice done! You guys are always finding new tricks, when will we see another improvement, Arne? :D
Maybe not for any% but there is some things that could be better for 101% but I will not do it now.
Active player (432)
Nothing much to add then what have already been said. Team Sweden strikes again. Voting Yes.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Senior Moderator
!!! Marvellous.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Tub
well.. yes vote.
m00
Player (209)
A very entertaining and thoroughly optimized run! Best levels for me were Mine Cart Madness and Tanked Up trouble. Voting yes with a Star!
See my perfect 100% movie-walkthroughs of the best RPG games on http://www.freewebs.com/saturnsmovies/index.htm Current TAS project (with new videos): Super Metroid Redesign, any% speedrun
Former player
Awesome movie. Tanked up trouble was great.
Skilled player (1402)
Tub wrote:
well.. yes vote.
Seconded!
Former player
Really nice movie. Mine Cart Madness was awesome!!!! You find a way to do that glitch without bonus stage. Great job arne ;) Hmm Yes?
Current Projects: ???
Player (166)
Hell yeah!
Player (104)
It's nice to see another improvement, and of course done so well. How could I vote no anyway? It beats an already great record. :P
Soft Blue Dragon
A star! A moon! A green star! A green moon! Chuck Norris! I don't care what people say, this is one of my all time favorite movies! It's entertaining all the way through (it maybe SLIGHTLY drags in Croctopus Chase, but you can't prevent that). I loved the "acting" when you had idle time. Once again, you made me fall off my chair while battling King Krool (and yes, the music is awesome, to say the least!). You made a mockery out of the game, and I loved it! Can't wait for your future runs Arne! :)
<agill> banana banana banana terracotta pie! <Shinryuu> ho-la terracotta barba-ra anal-o~
Former player
!!!! No more comments
Not more working on: DKC3 105% < Needs modified Nitsuja Snes9x+9, with reset recording.
What's a man like me supposed to do with all this extra savoir-faire?
I agree with this: But I still think that the one that I can't wait is DKC2 102%. But it's better for you to make any% first to get knowledge of the game
Dang, it desyncs at Ice Age Alley on the 1.1 rom. Wish I could get a 1.0 rom so I could see it ;)
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [559] SNES Donkey Kong Country by Arne_the_great in 24:23.88
TODO: Add a yellow star?
Awesome movie. Wonder if there's any other on the site that have the main character(s) showing off idle animations :P
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
My god, THE GLITCH. THE GLITCH! JOY.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing