Submission Text Full Submission Page
At the beggining, i apolagise about re-recount number. I explai why is so low (feel free to skip this paragraph). When i started making movie for first time, everything was fine....but then, somewhere at half of a game, emulator....freezed....(don't know why..).I stopped recording.....i had 546 Undo count. Second attempt. Started making movie, loaded state....everythings go fine to the end of the game...but...i made cut in wrong moment. I made a "pacifist" run and at the very end, when i tried to deal finishing hit to the boss....one of his "mutants" go in a way of fire...and i killed it...i had 521 undo count....good that i made an savestate at that moment..only 5 undos counted. So i've got a total of 1075 undo count.
Anyway, about run. (*recorded on FCEU 0.98.13) My goal was to complete the game as fast as i can without killing anything that i don't need to kill (except bosses, mini-bosses and these walls on stage 7) and.... WITHOUT ANY POWER-UP (R power-up counted too). And that's why this run took over 3600 Frames (1 minute) more than krieg747 "pacifist run" (i tried to compare with this run).
Now...about each stages:
Stage 1 & 2- both went fine.
Stage 3.....problems starting from here....somewhere at the end (of waterfall). I needed to avoid bullets and soldier (kreig747 had bulletproof on)...i tried about 50 times to avoid these FAST but no effect.....it resulted that i was too late on this "stone platform" and i lose some time......
Stage 4- somewhere in the middle of stage (when 2 "cores" was behind that "glass shield").....it took me some time to destroy them....i tried many times to made it FAST.....no effect. Second problem...BOSS. Krieg747 had an advantage cause it had some "Rapid" powerups with him.....for me, again, took some more time.
Stage 5- starting to be annoying.....these guys with cannon and bombs...sometimes i needed to slowdown if i wanted to survive. Mini-bosses (these mobiles with spikes on bumper), again, took me too much time to destroy them (couldn't improve it).
Stage 6- STUPID FLAMES!! Darn....they slowed me down in the middle on the stage (where platworms were).
Stage 7- Probably in this stage, there were the most re-records. The most annoying thing that was there, were these CANNON GUYS ><'. At the end, avoining them was "uber" hard.....i don't know how much undo counts i had at that moment.....but it was A LOT.
Last stage(8)- this stage wasn't that hard....except for that eer...."long" alien (somewhere at the beggining). Took some tries to beat him up....The heart wasn't hard too, but sometimes i needed to make an undo because i killed one of these "mutants" by an accident.....
Last words: I won't be mad if you reject it >>. I "probably" made some mistakes and the time is probably not too good (easy to bet i think). That's all. Thank you for reading. Enjoy this movie

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1155: TheSwordUser's NES Contra in 11:34.05
Former player
Umm, why didn't you pick up any power ups? That's not a good goal if it only makes the boss battles longer.
Guybrush wrote:
Umm, why didn't you pick up any power ups? That's not a good goal if it only makes the boss battles longer.
It was MY GOAL to NOT pickup ANY power ups...even these "R".
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
The no power-up is a poor goal choice.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Former player
Yes, it's a poor choice for a goal because it just makes the run artificially longer, and I bet it's more boring.
Former player
In my opinion getting zero powerups doesn't add any coolness to the movie, only takes some away.
upthorn
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Active player (388)
TheSwordUser wrote:
Guybrush wrote:
It was MY GOAL to NOT pickup ANY power ups...even these "R".
I think he means to ask why no powerups was one of your goals.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
Maybe it's a dumb excuse but.....you were never wondering how much time would took to complete this game without ANY power-up....? Anyway...rather no excuse will help me so if you all don't like it...the sooner this run will be rejected, the better >> EDIT:upthorn, cause....no one still tried that (probably everyone things that is a poor goal)....and also i was wondering how much time it would took me to finish this game without any powerups... Looks like it was bad idea.....
Former player
dotdotdot. JXQ likes this... dotdotdot...
Former player
When I originally made my contra 3 pacifist run I decided to make it a no power up as well. After playing through the entire game with just the machine gun I realized that adding power ups would make the run more entertaining because it would play faster; the viewer wouldn't have to fast forward through endless bullet dodging. Now I have no idea if my contra 3 run will be accepted or not, but I realize from the comments made from others that using power-ups to make the run faster is a good thing as it adds entertainment through completing the game faster. I think if you replayed this game while collecting power-ups you would easily be able to surpass the current pacifist record. In addition, there are many instances where you seem to fire the gun and hit nothing. I'm not sure if you meant to shoot your gun for entertainment purposes or if you were trying to kill something, but in my opinion, for shooting games like this, the player shouldn't fire his gun unless he is going to kill something, or he is going to do something irreverent or entertainment. I think you can do much better if you decide to run this game again. Sadly however, I must vote no on this one because it is slower than the current pacifist run and because of the reasons I listed above.
You are right.....ok, so. I decided to cancel this submission (rather no one will vote yes). And when i will have some free time, i try to make pacifist run with R (and B) power ups.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
TheSwordUser wrote:
You are right.....ok, so. I decided to cancel this submission (rather no one will vote yes). And when i will have some free time, i try to make pacifist run with R (and B) power ups.
Sounds like a good plan :D The current pacifist run is in need of improvement.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
I made pacific run ~1 hour ago...but there is ONE problem....THE TIME IS 10:37, 4 SECONDS TOO SLOW (but in some places i was faster than krieg).
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
adelikat wrote:
The current pacifist run is in need of improvement.
It is? What about this?
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)