Hopefully this explains everything that you may not understand during the course of the run.

Emulator information

Gens 9f was used to record this run. Settings used were:
  • 6 button controller, though that shouldn't make a difference
  • L+R on, though again that shouldn't matter

General notes

• Running is generally faster than jump-boosting. There are some exceptions, Shout and Twist being notable.
  • Jump-boosting is FAR better than shooting for damage-dealing purposes. As a result, I use this whenever possible on bosses.
  • The gun "refreshes" after a certain amount of frames. On the ground, this is 7, while in the air it's 9. However, on the ground at least, you can trick the game into letting you shoot quicker than usual by changing direction (ie. if I hold right, and shoot, then hold down for a couple of frames I can shoot again)
  • Only three shots may be on screen at any one time, so shots need to be carefully managed.
  • Alternating shooting buttons doesn't do anything notable. I use B almost exclusively throughout.

Run description

• Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Abuses programming errors in the game
  • Manipulates luck
I didn't exactly have high hopes for this run to start off with, but having a legitimate speedrun to compare with I could tell that what I was doing was saving plenty of time, and that it would be entertaining to watch. I hope it turns out that way for everyone else.
Onto specific level descriptions:
Geronimo - This level is a fixed autoscroller, so you can't exactly do a great deal of saving time in it. Shooting downwards slows you, and holding C hovers, so neither are preferred, and indeed I chose not to do any shooting at all. I tried to just dodge enemies and collect photons on the last possible frame, but these two aims do not like each other.
Night in the Swamp - I spent a long time at the start of this level pondering over the best means of movement. I eventually worked it out and away I went.
Those turtles are evil. Really, they are. You have to duck to land a shot on it initially, then when it jumps you can shoot normally.
Bog Jam - Being able to make my boosts perfect was always going to help me. I never suspected just how much.
On one occasion I was only just unable to dodge an enemy, so I took a hit and picked up some health from the next enemy.
A little later, you'll notice that I dodged a powersack - to pick them up wastes a few frames in lag but it also contained an extra health piece. I thought it would be more impressive if I went on without it.
And one last thing from here, if you end the movie just before the level ends, you'll notice that Vectorman doesn't actually have to land on the platform for the level to be complete. In fact, he'll fall all the way down to the bottom! It will also show that I got a Pacifist bonus, which after I'd killed an enemy for health looks a bit odd.
In Blackest Night - I've always known this level as In Darkest Night. On the actual level, boosting is best, and shooting is used to manipulate either my position or the boss' shots. Nothing special here.
Fired - By sheer fluke, when playing through this in real time once, I discovered you could jump off the lava. As you can imagine, it became thoroughly abused here.
Magma P.I. - I reckon the finish to this level looks pretty cool, but the rest is standard fare.
Turn Up The Heat - much like the other bosses in that you simply attack with the booster as much as possible. Shooting it turns it around, this is used to keep it as close as possible so I don't have to move far.
Orbot Express - The first of Vectorman's transformations is into a rollerblader. This mode has a new set of conditions:
  • Running is always faster than anything else, even if you have to take damage to continue. As you can imagine, you can't keep this up for very long with three health
  • And another of my accidental findings. Shooting whilst in the air restores your horizontal velocity. However, you can only have three shots on screen at a time, so you have to space your shots for the best result (unless there's an enemy waiting for you to shoot it).
  • You can shoot every other frame, which isn't as useful as it sounds because damage only seems to register every five or six frames.
That's basically levels 8, 10 and 12 in a nutshell.
Dirty Job - I love how I was able to negotiate the ascent through the bricks here, it's my second favourite part of the run. Managing shots here is hard, but I managed.
Vectorman 1 2 3 - See notes for Orbot Express.
I Can Dig It - Here I'm basically shooting every other frame, moving forward a bit and doing the same again. Gets boring after a while - thank goodness it's only 11 seconds long.
Rollerderby - See Orbot Express.
Mist Chances - Another of my favourites: instead of boosting those enemies at the start for damage I actually jumped off their heads! The rest is pretty standard fare.
Cave Fear - Nothing much here, except that the Rhino Charge is worth every frame I take to kill the enemy holding it.
Dreamsnake - A strategy I made up on the spot here. 15 shots a second! This allows me to ensure both snakes are in the same position later, though since one comes up after the other I need one more booster after the first one goes down.
Recycle or Die - This level is straightforward. The shot at the end was required to do just enough damage to pass through the wall without it stopping me in my tracks.
The Shadow Nose - I discovered something rather unusual here. For whatever reason, when you jump at the start of this level, then jump again to boost... you just jump again! By alternating frames I was able to make it just look like one big jump.
This ascent is much harder than the one in Dirty Job. The reason? The blocks residually destroy surrounding blocks, and which ones they are are determined by your actions, notably the use of A and B. Some nifty manipulation was used here.
And after all that, it makes the boss look simple.
Shout and Twist - Turns out the odd property I used in the previous level reared its head again here. This time I want distance so I use a few jumps, then jump on the last frame the game will allow me to and then hover over the entire wall of bricks!
But if you thought that was all... oh no, you're very mistaken. This is one of the most abusable levels in the game, for one reason: the tornado.
It moves faster than usual, but it can also ascend by tapping C. So surely I could clear the level and go straight to the end? It wasn't that easy, however. Towards the end of my time with the tornado, I had to ascend from near the bottom right up to the top of the level, and land on the wall of bricks. As it were, I couldn't quite get there, but I did manage to take out the top brick and land on the second one. Now it was a simple matter of jump-boosting to the end... but that also just fell short, until the same trick came into play again. In this case, while the shot slowed me down, it allowed me to hover for the split second I needed. This run cuts my best effort in real time in half!
Tank You - The tank levels have a different set of conditions again:
  • Jumping is slightly faster than regular movement
  • You can shoot every second frame, and damage always registers this time
  • Most annoyingly, damage registers on you much quicker than usual. In short, you don't get the invincibility period you do in the other levels. Thankfully, this mostly isn't a problem here.
The first of the two levels was the easier, but also the longer. A couple of nice, efficient deaths thrown in for good measure.
Tank Patrol - Nasty piece of work, this level. At one stage I "bounced" off an enemy to get a smaller jump than what I normally would and landed safely in front of an enemy. Nothing else notable except as usual I'm missing enemies by mere pixels.
Bad Eggs - Easy. Nothing important here.
Queen For A Day - Now this was just evil. While boost-attacking is the best method you only get limited shots, so you have to use them effectively. Once the second phase is over, you can't boost-attack any more, because the platforms disappear. So I was left with no option but to shoot the boss, thankfully it didn't take too long, ensuring my total time went under ten minutes.

adelikat: The quality seems good. The game is good for a TAS, and the votes & responses were good. Accepting for publication.
Bisqwit: processing... Not processing, it desyncs at me (enters a long pause mode in level 2)
adelikat: Processing, attempt #2
adelikat: attempt #2 hath failed
Truncated: Judging from Maza's list of encoded AVIs, this movie is already encoded. Is there any reason why that movie cannot be used?
  • Bisqwit: This movie is difficult to encode in a satisfying quality without insane bitrates. That's what has been causing a delay.

adelikat: One last shot. Publication or bust!

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1157: mike89's Genesis Vectorman 2 in 09:35.18
Twisted_Eye
He/Him
Active player (332)
A fun looking game, well-planned and well-executed run, very short resulting movie with a good amount of variety as well, why, I must say 'yes' to this! It's unfortunate that there are as many autoscrollers as there are, but that's an easily fast forwardable problem if it gets too repetitive. And the movie is altogether less than 10 minutes, so autoscrollers can easily be tolerated for the little while.
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
Stick a space after each !, and the headings will show up properly. By the way, what is wrong with having "mike89" as the author's name? It's your username.
Active player (301)
1. Heh, this is my first submission so I wasn't totally familiar with the formatting. It's fixed now. 2. I remember reading something about "unique and recognisable" names, and mike89 is certainly not unique, in my experience.
Senior Moderator
Twisted Eye wrote:
A fun looking game, well-planned and well-executed run, very short resulting movie with a good amount of variety as well, why, I must say 'yes' to this!
Ditto.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
upthorn
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Active player (388)
I have a couple questions before I vote: 1) In the rollerskate levels, couldn't you save a few frames by getting all the way to the right side of the screen before the level ends? (since level endings seem to be triggered by vectorman's position, having him on the right edge instead of the left should trigger it sooner) 2) Why all the wasted shots on Queen for a Day? Only the ones that hit her brain hurt her, so why do you keep shooting even when you're below her?
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
Senior Moderator
You can't move to the right side of the screen while accelerating, it will automatically scroll to "push" you to the left edge. The only way to be on the right side is to move left which won't save anything.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Active player (301)
upthorn wrote:
Why all the wasted shots on Queen for a Day? Only the ones that hit her brain hurt her, so why do you keep shooting even when you're below her?
I had my suspicions that something like this happened. Basically I was recording the final phase and I was standing fairly close on the left hand side in an attempt to get more hits quicker. After I didn't get very far after a few seconds, I played it out in real time and finished at 9:03. When I got to that time and nothing had happened, I figured out something was wrong, and I nailed it down to the position of the shot. However, I would've thought that shots on the head when I couldn't hit the brain (such as when I run underneath the boss in the second phase) would have been at least somewhat useful... I could do the last boss again and resubmit, but that probably won't happen for a while as I have exams on for another week. EDIT: One more thing, I assume nobody's having desync problems? I encountered a few while recording and needless to say they pissed me off considerably.
Active player (432)
First time I ever see this game. Not bad at all, pretty cool character and your performance looks good. Voting Yes.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
First of all, try to use the most up to date emulator. We are up to 9J now which this movie desync's in. This movie has had lower turn out as others have been lazy like me and not bothered to find the right emulator. For those interested, I found finally found 9f on page 14 of the emulator thread. For some reason vectorman TASes entertain the crap out of me despite the fact that I have never seen or played the games prior to watching the submission. I looked for possible optimizations and couldn't find any. This run is of good quality as far as I can tell (though I don't know the game as well as some). But it gets a yes vote from me.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Joe
adelikat wrote:
First of all, try to use the most up to date emulator. We are up to 9J now which this movie desync's in. This movie has had lower turn out as others have been lazy like me and not bothered to find the right emulator. For those interested, I found finally found 9f on page 14 of the emulator thread.
Actually, for some strange reason, the movie desynced on when I tried playing on 9f and only finished it after downloading 9j Anyway I enjoyed the video, though I agree some of the autoscrolling levels dragged a bit. Still, looks like a publishable run.
Active player (301)
I was alerted to the situation here by Upthorn. Bisqwit: Exactly what is occuring here? My guess would be that Start is being hit a frame early for whatever reason? I haven't had that problem. That's rather unusual.
Experienced player (822)
Any progress on the publication of this movie? It's nearly 200 submissions behind the next closest one.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
adelikat
He/Him
This run desyncs for some of our publishers. It is also problematic to encode due to the dark graphics in lv2 and other moments in the run. 3 people have attempted to encode this at this point. However, progress is being made. It is just taking a lot longer than other runs due to these problems.
Former player
Are there encoding the Vector 2 movie? When the run desync, what should they do? It will set to delay when they keep getting the failed attempt for encoding the movie.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [829] Genesis Vectorman 2 by mike89 in 09:35.18
Experienced player (822)
Congrats to both author and endcoder for finally getting this published!
Active player (301)
What a time to have been away for a week, hm? I must congratulate the encoders for putting up with this for so long, but also remind them that mmbossman is working on an improvement. ps. I'm thinking clearing the first wall in Shout and Twist would make a good screenshot. Without the run in front of me I'm having trouble thinking of anything better...
Excellent work with the dreamsnake. A very enjoyable run otherwise too... all of the block destructions were pretty enjoyable.
adelikat
He/Him
Could someone do a screenshot for this game? If someone posts the screenshot here, I will at it to the movie. Right now, I am having problems with my Gens emulator and can't make screenshots for some reason.
Editor, Expert player (2459)
Experienced player (822)
The problem with this game is that all the levels are so dark that almost any screenshot looks like nothing is going on. I'd personally go with one from the middle dirt levels, since they have decent contrast.
Active player (301)
Perhaps a shot of one of the tank levels would be good. Preferably with the tank in midair and also shooting at stuff. Incidentally, mmbossman, where are you up to on the improvement?
Editor, Expert player (2459)
mmbossman wrote:
contrast
I think the dark images pop out from the rest of the movie screenshots, thus creating contrast in a wider context. Filesize is small too, which is good.
Experienced player (822)
mike89 wrote:
Incidentally, mmbossman, where are you up to on the improvement?
Unfortunately I haven't had much time to work on this lately, due to school and other things, but I'm currently at the shadow nose level, trying to optimize the brick breaking. So I have 6 levels left to go, and I've saved just over 12 seconds so far.