Recorded with FCE Ultra 0.98.15 rerecording.
Demon Sword completed quickly. Because I never collect an extra life bar, several enemies and all bosses kill me in one hit, so taking no damage was a must. Only enemies that get in my way are killed.
The game is a about a man named Victar who would make the Prince of Persia quake in fear. He can jump high and run quickly, which is why (I think) the game is ideal for TASing. There are a number of items and powerups that could be collected, but that requires killing enemies, so I'd rather just keep moving. Jumping and running carry the same amount of horizontal speed, so as long as Victar keeps moving forward in some way everything will turn out good. As such, I aimed to entertain the viewer with some acrobatic tree-to-tree jumping.
The only problem with the game is that the jumping physics aren't smooth. There's a limited number of arcs he can make. Early on in stage 1-1, I have to jump across some gaps, and I'm forced to "overjump" the gaps because that's the smallest jump Victar is capable of. I guess it's a small price to pay for the highest jump he's capable of.
One of the first things you may notice is that there's some hesitation in the boss battles. This is for luck manipulation to try to keep them in the same place, but sometimes it's nigh impossible (you'll notice I have to jump at a few points in some of the battles to catch them). Some "wasted" attacks are used for the same purpose.
Only a couple glitches are used in this run. The first allows the character to jump the opposite direction at full momentum if you press both buttons in the same frame; you'll see this several times in level 2-1. Another glitch I discovered while fighting the final boss allows you to hit him twice in one spot, but this can't be done most of the time because the boss has to be in line to be struck by Victar's shuriken, which is hard to aim.
In level 1-1, I hit a cliff a couple times, thus losing my momentum. This was necessary as it's faster than hitting the bamboo (which forces me into the climbing position) or stopping in midair, both of which rob me of my momentum anyway. I strike a cliff in 1-2 and 3-1 once each as well; both of these occurances were unavoidable to maintain the fastest route. Striking the cliff while moving forward ensures that I regain momentum faster, so jumping straight up wouldn't have been faster
The only iffy part in the movie that I can think of is the final fight. The final boss, as you probably notice, is a teleporter. His teleportation ability is only bounded to the limits of the room, so he can teleport anywhere, offscreen, in midair, attacking, behind you, inside of you (which means instant death at one life bar), wherever. Frames are wasted and worthless attacks are made to manipulate him into convenient locations. It's still quite entertaining, but only if you've played the game and know how frustrating the guy is.
...I'm still impressed at how high this guy can jump.

adelikat: Congratulations on having your first submission accepted :)

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1167: curtmack's NES Demon Sword in 10:06.73
What a fast game - really liked the run though I didn't know the game. Only negative thing is the really long boss fights... Getting a yes! I especially liked the ending when they rushed off and rode on a pure white horse! ;)
Twisted_Eye
He/Him
Active player (332)
A pretty good attempt, but I'm pretty sure there are improvements. However, I've never played this game before today, so if I'm wrong, all the better, hehe. The bosses never SEEM optimized, it feels like you could swing the sword faster. But you do a good job, let's go for optimal. You talk about having to stop in 1-1 at cliffs because of momentum. One thing to do to gain a good bit of time is put yourself as far BACK on the cliff as you can, starting at little-to-no momentum, and then jump at the cliff corner so that as SOON as you are able to clear the jump, you're MOVING. Rubbing against the cliff as you clear it starts you at 0 momentum, so if you gain some momentum first you'll save the charging time. Otherwise, I think you stopped to kill a pink ninja girl the first time one appeared, did you need/get that key symbol that appeared on her? But yeah, good job, just some things I saw that looked iffy.
Active player (405)
I was going to ask about the jumping, but your entry text explained that. Only question I have then, is, why does your attack speed change so often? Sometimes you'll be slashing at a boss rapidly, then suddenly you inexplicably go slower, then speed up, then slow down. Other than that, this seems very well done.
Former player
First, to answer Hyena's question:
curtmack wrote:
One of the first things you may notice is that there's some hesitation in the boss battles. This is for luck manipulation to try to keep them in the same place, but sometimes it's nigh impossible (you'll notice I have to jump at a few points in some of the battles to catch them). Some "wasted" attacks are used for the same purpose.
The key symbol does nothing unless I collect it. It would let me open one of those doors that you see in the mouths, but it's not needed to beat the game. As for getting around the cliffs, I could clear the cliffs with a high jump if I wanted to from where I was. But I would have had to hit the bamboo while I was falling, which forces me into the climbing stance. But yeah, thanks for the C+C.
...?
Active player (405)
Okay. Voted yes.
Emulator Coder, Former player
Looks good. There are weapon powerups that could have made the boss fights much faster, but i'm not sure how difficult manipulating drops would be. There's also magic that's never used, but again, not sure if collecting powerups would slow the levels down. You rush through the levels REALLY quickly, so I'm assuming you'd have to drop you momentum down to nothing if you were going to collect powerups. Just wondering if the speed cost > benefit of a stronger character. Just a thought, but still voting yes ;)
Active player (432)
Fairly decent game, looked pretty ok, voting yes.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Former player
To get more powerful, you have to accumulate a certain amount of points, I can't remember how many. That requires killing enemies, obviously. There are some more enemies I could've killed without losing much time, but even then I doubt it would've been enough. To get spells, you have to go into a demon gate. To do that, you have to kill a bunch of enemies until you get a key, then grab the key and then go up to the gate and press up to enter. After killing the demon inside, you'll receive a nice bonus of a certain amount of a certain spell, and then leave. Not worth it at all. Getting more life is odd. You have to kill enemies and get red sphere powerups. When you die, you will come back with as many life bars as you had red spheres + 1. Definitely not worth the trouble. I'm not sure how to manipulate powerup drops. I did discover, though, that if I know an enemy will drop a powerup, I can manipulate which one it will be similar to how I manipulate the bosses' movements. I've hit upon a sort of laidback explanation as to how luck (and therefore luck manipulation) works. I don't know the precise specifics, but I understand that Victar (main character) always has a state, such as standing still, jumping up, jumping left/right, climbing up/down/left/right, attacking, standing still while climbing, etc. These states are tracked for a certain number of frames (I don't know how many) and are accumulated into one number. That number is used for random events. This number changes from frame to frame, of course. Maybe Bisqwit could disassemble this game... Another thing I noticed is that Victar's movements are delayed by two frames. Whenever you press a button, no matter what the circumstances are, Victar will react the second frame afterwards. This is sort of confusing to a TASer as one will instinctively hold down the button until he reacts, which is not necessary and results in actions being done more excessively than they have to be.
...?
Active player (405)
I think this game is well-suited for a no-damage run, anyway. It seems pretty effortless to avoid getting hurt, except from bosses. Even then, if there was some way to get injured without dying, my guess is it would slow your attacks more than otherwise.
Senior Moderator
I liked the last boss fight (it showed much more variety than the other boss fights) and Victar's speed. It really justifies the fact that it's a speedrun. Yes vote. EDIT: Oh, and the fact that his sword is growing with each level is really funny!
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Can you change horizontal momentum in mid-air? If so, some of your earlier jumps could avoid bumping into the wall before reaching enough air. The length of time between boss hits seems to vary; that may be improvable as well. But overall, I was moderately entertained. His sword grew three sizes that day.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
I enjoyed the run. I can only imagine how annoying manipulating a teleporter can be.
Former player
Sadly, you can't change momentum in midair. You can stop, but that's it, and that actually loses time over the current solution.
...?
Despite the long long long boss battles,this run was entertaining. *thumbs up
Blaise wrote:
I enjoyed the run. I can only imagine how annoying manipulating a teleporter can be.
Agreed
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
Nice job. The run looks fairly optimized and well planned. In addition, this game does seem pretty good for TASing. Yes vote.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Editor, Active player (296)
The physics and scenes of this game remind me of Legend of Kage...
Former player
Oddly enough that's exactly what Wikipedia had to say about it...
...?
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [685] NES Demon Sword by curtmack in 10:06.73
Former player
So, you beat the whole game without getting any items? Aren't the white comb items speed ups? Does it always take too long to get Also, the scroll item (after the lightning in the menu) from the locked doors, I think it does 16 damage, which would make the boss battles MUCH shorter. Are you sure that it takes too long to get the item than the time that it would save? It would certainly reduce the monotony.
Former player
Pretty sure. To get a spell (like the scroll) I'd have to beat a boss anyway. The speed-ups might be worth it, but at the time I did this run I didn't have the foggiest idea how to manipulate item drops. I think it has to do something like every nth enemy you kill drops an item, but manipulating a particular item is pretty much guess-and-check. Sometime I may come back to this game to see how much better I can do now that I know some of the more advanced tools of the trade, but for now anyone's free to pick this one up and try it, this was just my virgin run to get my feet wet before tackling TGL (which I had wanted to do from the beginning).
...?
Former player
That's not how the doors work. When you go in, there is a chance that you fight a miniboss or that it just gives you the item being held by a statue. I'd estimate that getting the statue instead of a miniboss is somewhere between 1/2 and 1/4. So, it should only take a few seconds to get a key and go in to get the scroll. I'm not sure how long that is compared to how long it takes to hit that many times.
tgl? the guardian legend? oooh i really want to see a tas of that game. (OMFG i can vote!)
Ryzen 3700X, ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard, 32GB 3600MHz RAM, MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB, Windows 10 Pro x64 http://tasvideos.org/Nach/FranpaAlert.html
Banned User, Former player
Is waiting really the only way to luck-manipulate the bosses? Did you make every possible effort to stop them from jumping? Other than that, looks cool