• VBA-rerecording-19
  • uses no passwords
  • takes damage to save time
  • aims for fastest time
Mega Man II (aka. Rockman World 2) is the second of the Game Boy Mega Man series. Their are 8 Robot Masters in this game. The first 4 are from the NES Mega Man 2. The next 4 are from Mega Man 3 for NES.
First, for the following tips, credit should go to 'Bag of Magic Food'.
  1. utilizing the slide at the very last frame before taking damage to get rid of the damage animation
  2. starting with Metal Man or Air Man first (I decided to start with Metal Man)
  3. pressing left or right when starting a slide
  4. sliding on platforms (there's no way to slide continuously on one, you have to slide every 3 frames and add 2 horizontal movements in favored direction in between each slide)
And credit should go to "Hero of the Day", since I got the idea of starting with Magnet Man first in the second part of the game, from one of the links he posted on the forum showing the route he was going to use before he gave up on this game.
Now for the levels in the order that I played them.
Metal Man
This level is full of conveyor belts like the NES version. When the direction of the belts is against you, it's faster to jump then it is to slide except when making smaller jumps, then it's the same. I decided to always jump because there is a way to time them precisely. That's not the case with the slide, which lasts for 31 frames and can't be stopped in between. This level also has those dreadful spikes I had to slide through taking heavy damage to save time. I lucked out however and got a big energy pellet right when I needed it. I in no way manipulated this. Metal Man's battle is a little repetitive, but it's as fast as I could get with the buster.
Wood Man
This level was fairly easy. It's basically just a bunch of sliding and using the Metal Blade effectively. At the water part, when executed perfectly, it's much faster to go on top instead of just using the Rush Marine. Plus you have to waste over 100 frames going into the menu twice. Thank's goes to my brother for me being able to optimize the Wood Man battle. He gave me the idea of hitting him inside his shield. You have to go one pixel away from him for it to work. And you have to shoot in between the leaves.
Air Man
This level was one of the easiest for me to do. Thanks in large part to 'Bag of Magic Foods' movie in which he completed Air Man first. Bag demonstrated a way to slide through all the devil horns without getting the damage animation. I basically used the same tricks he did but with the leaf shield as an added bonus. It takes me just 2 shots to dispose of Air Man because the first shot damages him twice.
Clash Man
This level is all about using Rush Jet to save bundles of time. Nothing else I have to say about the level that can't be explained in the movie, however the Clash Man battle was a little tricky, because I had to wait a while between each shot with the Air Shooter since I can't shoot until the other shot leaves the screen, so I had to constantly test what frame I can shoot again. You'll also notice that I tried to jump before each shot. This was nessesary so that the shots could leave the screen sooner.
Magnet Man
In this level I had to choose where to take damage and where not to in order to make it to the end of the level in one piece. Ideally I would've liked to slide through all the enemies possible and manipulate a big energy pellet shooting one of the eyeballs with the rotating legs. But I tried and tried and couldn't do it. So I did the next best thing and went into the menu screen prematurely. I waste over 50 frames by doing that, but I gain 15 frames by shooting a couple of the flyiing magnets at the beginning of the level. Plus I need it to get rid of one of the huge spring enemies to conserve my energy. The Magnet Man battle was fairly easy to optimize, since I could shoot the Metal Blade diagonally. It may even be faster than using Needle Cannon since Magnet Man jumps to the top of the screen and stays there until after he shoots out his magnets.
Hard Man
This level was by far the easiest to do, since it's pretty straightforward. I'll let my movie explain the rest.
Top Man
Another easy level. Metal Blade proves very useful here. The Top Man battle was also very easy, because all I had to do was just keep shooting. It's as if he doesn't TRY to dodge anything.
Needle Man
This level was tricky, but I think it's pretty optimized. I was getting worried about how I was going take damage from all the needle spikes. But I managed to make it without wasting much time. It only required me to shoot all the enemies I needed to in order to conserve enough energy to make through all the spikes. For Needle Man I had to manipulate where throws his needles, and after that, he gets owned.
Quint
I noticed that the programmers didn't bother changing the hit zone for Quint before he goes on his device. Any casual player would think that he's invincible before he goes on, but he's not. You have to hit him where you'd normally hit him while he's on his device.
Wily
This level was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be. It actually took me more time to work on the Wily battle than the level itself. Quint's device is totally useless if you want to defeat Wily as fast as possible. The regular buster is faster.
Well that's all I have to say about my run. Enjoy.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1172: dezbeast's GB Mega Man II in 17:49.45
Yes, really good run! Loved the Quint fight!
Player (88)
Great job dezbeast! Not only was this movie entertaining, but it was also highly optimized. My favorite part was the boss battles because of how quickly they got destroyed. This is a game I wanted to see done, and now that it is I am happy to see how well it turned out. A very easy yes vote.
They're off to find the hero of the day...
Active player (277)
Hooray! Maybe I should go back and finish Rockman World 3 so we can eventually have all the games in order.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Former player
no sakugarne used :( yes vote though, for a well done and entertaining run. I like how you get health and it doesn't actually pause while it fills up :)
Former player
It would've wasted a considerable amount of frames using Quint's weapon. Not to mention having to go into the menu screen. In order to use it effectively without taking damage you have to bounce off Wily once and then go back to the ground. So as it turns out, the length between hits is 70 frames. With the buster I could hit him every 30 frames. Hey Bag I saw your WIP on Mega Man 3. I wanted to see Dustman's level get torn apart but for some reason your movie ends in Snake Man's level.
I follow your work all the time and finally it's well done!
Player (223)
Nice job. Voted yes.
<adelikat> I've been quoted with worse
Active player (432)
ramond wrote:
I follow your work all the time
Me too. Voting Yes.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Does anybody else besides me think the monster "Chibee" is a bad pun? Great run. YES vote.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
Good job for your first run. Voting yes. I just wish the music in this game was better.
Chibee... that's terrible. Now I haven't watched the first game in ages, but was the soundtrack as horrid as this one? The Gameboy can do better than that. Anyway, good work on this.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
Looks good. Well optimized & entertaining. Easy yes vote.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
dezbeast wrote:
Hey Bag I saw your WIP on Mega Man 3. I wanted to see Dustman's level get torn apart but for some reason your movie ends in Snake Man's level.
You know that "WIP" stands for "Work in Progress," right? Chibee. How cute.
Former player
Yeah I know. What did you think I thought it meant? Edit: Nevermind, it dawned on me how one could misunderstand my post. You see he actually posted that he finished Dustman's level.
Active player (277)
Eh, what link did you use?
Former player
The very last one in the thread.
Active player (277)
Well, you're wrong. It actually beats DiveMan.
Former player
Great, it goes past Dustman now. Didn't over a month ago.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
I'm going to publish this run since it's pretty good, however I think it can be improved a bit. This is the most buggiest DMG game I know of. Certainly the buggiest Mega Man one. Now I haven't tried battering this game like I have Mega Man III for example, but I already know of 3 bugs in this game. 1) Start+Select+A+B doesn't work 2) Getting shot properly while on ladder teleports you to top of it 3) Dieing while leaf shield is activated and protecting you makes you invincible for duration of level or game, I don't remember The first is useless for a speed run. The second you might be able to use in two or three places. The third I forget exactly how to pull it off, I think it had some to do with the cats in Top Man's level. However invincibility for a long duration or perhaps the whole game means a lot. (Sorry but I haven't really went crazy in this game since I was 9, so I don't remember all the details). The game should be searched for more bugs. I recall beating Needle Man faster. IIRC, if you time and position the jump right, you can beat him in two shots. A few other places I felt could be optimized slightly. Most notably places where you've damaged yourself a few locations consecutively or some places where you used rush jet I felt could be done faster if you turned off rush jet sooner. Also in some places I felt if you enabled the weapon to fight the boss with earlier and use it to take out the last few level enemies would be faster.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Former player
You could beat Needle Man 2 hits? Well I tried hitting him at several angles. And each did the same damage. And he also has 30 frames of invincibility after each hit. Is there actually a way to do twice as much damage per hit?
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
I did it once, I don't recall exactly what I did though.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [594] GB Mega Man II by dezbeast in 17:49.45
Emulator Coder
Here's a pic of me doing part of the invincibility trick. When doing it you get an extra pointless bar appear. Unforunetly I forget the exact steps needed :(
Former player
So that only works when you use the leaf shield? If the invincibity lasts throughout the whole game then perhaps the theoretic perfect game must begin with Wood Man's level.