• luke's fceu (fceu-0.98.16)
  • aims for fastest completion
  • abuses programming errors
  • uses left+right and up+down
  • manipulates luck
  • takes damage to save time
9:12 (or 33064 frames) improvement over previous published movie.
Why so much faster? because of 2 things: left+right and skipping the sandals.
Left+right allows you to run really fast to the right. The memory address $0053 shows the character's horizontal speed.
Normal speed limits are 24 when going to the right, and 232 (meaning -24) when going left. But if you hold left+right while your speed is higher than 16, it will increase by 2 points every frame, without stopping at 24. The maximum speed while going to the right is 127. The maximum speed going left is 128 (means -128).
So, if you're at 127 and press right (adding 1) or left+right (adding 2), you'll imediatelly change directions. This was abused all the time.
Finding ways to get through the game without the sandals wasn't trivial. I had to quite often step on walls or get damage from enemies to get that extra pixel higher. It also resulted on a different route on some levels, comparing to Arc's run.
Left+right also allowed to go through a wall in Tartarus (the later rocky level).
Up+down was used at a point on the last level to break the way the staircase works. The trick works on any staircase, and it can result in screen zipping, depending on the position. Unfortunatelly, it was only found to be usefull at that part.
Another trick: to avoid the screen scrolling when i reach the edge of it, i just have to keep jumping. This is usefull to be able to push the side of the screen as if it were a wall, so i can use left+right to go left too.
Collecting olives was faster at the forest, right after going through the Hydra. I didn't collect before because death results in losing half the collected olives.
The Graeae (red wizards) may seem sloppy. That's because they can only be hit after they fully materialize (while they are blinking they can't be hit). Also, the only constraint is the moment the last one dies.
Also, while calling the pegasus, it wasn't always possible to get on it without a hoping or 2 (or 3). That's because without sandals i couldn't go high enough. Suprisingly, when geting on it without hoping wasn't possible, it didn't matter how many hops I did, as long as I called the pegasus as soon as possible. So, it was faster to sometimes hop 2 or 3 times than hoping once (by waiting 1 or 2 frames to call it).
All in all I tried to make the run very varied instead of doing the mandatory repetitive tasks always in the same manner (hitting bosses, collecting olives).
How to improve? Better olive catching (good luck with that), and on the first half of the movie, I didn't choose which direction to exit through doors, and also I didn't use a technique to change directions faster, consisting in stabbing (to change speed to 0) and imediatelly jumping, to allow to change speed value. This avoids having to decrease the speed by walking. Also, when going to the side of the screen (a door), the entering animation can be skipped by jumping at a certain frame. Most of these were only used on the second half of the movie. If all these are perfectly optimized it may improve the movie by about 6 seconds.
I hope I didn't spoil everything in the run, and you can find a suprise or two :)
I wanna thank Bisqwit for help testing tricks, optimization techniques, hex-editing and encouragement. Also Morrison for encouragement. Various tricks described by Bisqwit: Battle of Olympus Tricks The left+right effect seem to have been first noticed on these boards by Zero7. Thanks go to him for pointing it out!

NesVideoAgent: Hi! I am a robot. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. Here goes!

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1175: nesrocks's NES The Battle of Olympus in 10:40.78
Player (223)
Oh boy, even this game reminds me of Rygar. The glitches were kind of interesting, bossfights were just too long. Voted yes.
<adelikat> I've been quoted with worse
Morrison
He/Him
Former player
I've been following this run since it's inception, and it's turned out even faster than first anticipated. I'm glad you had the patience to stick with the project, because it turned out great. It's very entertaining, especially with the useful glitches. My favorite part is the olive collecting in the forest that uses the left + right bug to optimize time; this strikes me as quite ironic since I expected this scene to be the least entertaining to watch. Yes vote.
twitch.tv/Retrogaming2084
Player (80)
I don't think you're supposed to be able to do most of what you did. Other than the boss fights, this was very entertaining. Yes.
ideamagnate| .seen aqfaq <nothing happens> DK64_MASTER| .seen nesvideoagent * DK64_MASTER slaps forehead
Definitely "yes". :)
Active player (432)
I didnt understand much what happened in the run, besides the long boss fights, the run was good and fast due to your discovery. Voting Yes.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
AngerFist wrote:
I didnt understand much that happened, besides the long boss fights, the run was good and fast due to your discovery. Voting Yes.
My discovery was that it's possible to finish the game without the sandals, plus a lot of little tricks and shortcuts. But the fact that left+right has effects had been brought up somewhere when zelda 2 movie was made (or being made, can't remember well). Also, Morrison had recently "discovered" the left+right trick too, which may have triggered their intereset in seeing this done. I only started the run because I bought the cartridge and finished the game for the first time. Then i watched Arc's run and saw it was improveable.
Morrison
He/Him
Former player
FODA wrote:
But the fact that left+right has effects had been brought up somewhere when zelda 2 movie was made (or being made, can't remember well).
Indeed! http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2606&highlight=Battle++Olympus+Zelda This thread documenting the left+right bug was written in 2005-07-12, so I wasn't the first one to find the bug. About a month or two ago when I stumbled on this glitch, I mentioned it in IRC while playing through the game at normal speeds on FCEU, and this seemed to spark some interest.
twitch.tv/Retrogaming2084
Incredible speeds, great planning and execution, and an all-around entertaining movie. Yes vote. :)
<Zurreco> if so called professional players cant adapt to every playing field, theyre obviously not that great
Aside from the massive time improvement, this is MUCH more entertaining than the previous run. The only parts I really found boring were the boss fights, but they didn't make up too much of the movie anyway. I can't vote, but if I could this would be an easy yes.
Made me say 'whoa' a couple of times throughout the movie so I'm voting yes.
Player (79)
Normal speed looks like 200% !! (i liked it)
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [590] NES The Battle of Olympus by nesrocks in 10:40.78
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
Unlike the zelda 2 movie, there is some gameplay in here too. But I will let that slide this time :p Easy yes vote.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Player (70)
Awesome run mate! Very impressive.
Active player (324)
Incredible! Ever since this the discovery of the L+R glitch, I've been waiting to see this run! By the way, the credit for finding the L+R glitch should go to Zero7. I think he'd be thrilled if you listed him in the movie's credits. I'm going to watch this right now. I can't wait.
CAD is right, I am glad that I was metioned, I'm also glad someone finally made a better TAS. Now it's all fast paced and fun to watch, nice work.
Attempting:Snoopy - Magic Show (GB)
Former player
fantastic work!
This is a great TAS, it was one of the very first ones I ever saw, and I just got done seeing it again after several years. In my opinion, a 100% run would be interesting. I am actually thinking about going for it.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
"many years". Wow I can't believe this was made 6 years ago. yeah, I'm not sure but I think 100% wouldn't be incredibly long.