Introduction

This is my first attempt at a tool-assisted speed run. I started making this mainly for my own amusement, and because Crystalis is one of my favorite games. When I finished my first run, I was surprised that it didn't look like total trash, so I decided to try and clean it up a little bit and submit it at the site. I did several console speed runs for this game about a year ago (although the videos were never online), that finished in approximately 1:22 and 1:14. I did the second one after I found out about the "Ghetto Flight Bug" that enables you to bypass Evil Spirit Island. I came up with the route myself, with some help from a few people at Speed Demos Archive. The leveling up and warping strategies are modified slightly in a tool-assisted run because perfection is now an option (and usually required).
  • This run is 9775 frames (roughly 2 minutes and 43 seconds) faster than my first run
  • This run is not meant to obsolete the already-published Wild Warp run

About the Game

Crystalis is set in 1997, where some people have mutated into monsters, or something. As with any NES adventure game, the plot is largely vague and generally inconsequential (or nonexistent). You play the role of a young man in a fetching purple outfit, who has been cryogenically frozen (or otherwise preserved) for 100 years. He automatically thaws (or otherwise de-preserves) when the "Tower is activated." Apparently the bright idea in 1897 was to build a Tower in the sky to "oppress evil forever," but it didn't work the way it was supposed to. There's also an android named Azteca who means good but succumbs to evil, allowing Draygon, a riteous soldier turned bad news, to feed off of Azteca's evil thoughts and build an empire bent on the devastation of earth. I've always thought the plot was cool, or at least cooler than most NES RPG-ish games, but now that I'm older I can't tell if it's cool or just really cheesy. But I've noticed that those two blend together more often than you'd think.
Some trivia: The game was called "Godslayer" in Japan, but apparently Americans can't handle slaying gods, so it was changed to the slightly wimpier "Crystalis." Also, although this is pure hearsay, I've read that your purple friend Mesia is an allusion to Messiah, making it totally religious and completely unfit for children of any age, color, or sex (but only if they're American). Apparently the Japanese kids can handle vague, 8-bit references to the works of Handel and the obliteration of evil gods better than the Americans. Sometimes I wonder if I would've grown up to be a serial killer had I played Godslayer instead of Crystalis.
  • Used FCEU 0.98.16 (my first run seemed to desync in 0.98.12 but worked fine with 0.98.16, so I'd suggest playing back in something other than .12)
  • Abuses programming errors
  • Uses death as a shortcut
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Aims for fastest time
  • No warps

Glitches/Tricks

Power Up Sword While Moving and the Shop Bug
Getting Through the Petrified People
I may have been the first one to discover this. I figured this out in about 1993 when I first got this game. I thought it was a pretty well known trick, but no one else really seems to know about it. Basically, any stationary NPC who's preventing you from getting somewhere can be bypassed. This includes the petrified people in the waterfall, the guards outside Shyron, the guy guarding the Queen's room in Portoa, the guy guarding the door that leads behind the Queen's throne room in Portoa, and the girl who guards the door to the Amazon leader's room in Amazones. It's difficult to explain, but basically you just keep running into the stationary person, while holding the horizontal direction you want to travel, and the opposite vertical direction you want to travel. So, since I want to go up and the left, I hold down+left to get by the petrified people in the waterfall. This is easily done on a console.
Skipping the Ball of Fire
I've been trying to think of a cool name for this glitch, since I'm the first one to use it publicly, but I have no creativity for this kind of thing. The best I could come up with was the "menu-save-death-skip-the-ball-of-fire-glitch," and that doesn't roll off the tongue very well. So, I'm open to suggestions. I read about this glitch on some easily forgettable site, so I don't know who the credit goes to for discovering this. Basically, this allows you to power up a sword to level two despite not having the associated ball. However, it's not as useful as you might think, since many of the game's triggers are dependent on having a ball (ha ha!). To do it, power up a sword to level two, go to the menu screen and choose a different sword that has no ball. Then save. Then die. Then continue. Now your sword with no ball will have level two capabilities. If you access the menu (i.e. press select or start), your level two capabilities go away. Since the menu cannot be accessed, this makes for some careful planning.
"Ghetto Flight Bug"
This was brought to my attention and named by Dragondarch from Speed Demos Archive. It enables you to abuse some faulty programming involving the dolphin, allowing you to fly over the angry sea long before you should be able to. This allows you to skip Evil Spirit Island entirely, shaving off about six minutes. It's also really cool. When you land the dolphin, immediately jump into the water. If done at the correct time, you will fly over the water, instead of being stopped by the water. I'm not sure why it works, or why you can make the dolphin disappear for a little while, but it's pretty awesome. This is a little trickier to do on a console, but it can be done.

Triggers

Much of speed running this game is figuring out what triggers what. Here's a semi-complete list of all the non-obvious triggers as I understand them.
  • Talking to Zebu triggers the sleepy Windmill guard
  • Talking to anyone in Oak triggers Stom
  • Defeating Stom triggers the lost kid in the Poison Forest
  • Using "your power to open the way" (breaking the ice wall) behind Zebu in Mt. Sabre South triggers the people of Leaf to be captured
  • Talking to the rabbit (or whatever that thing is) in Leaf triggers Mt. Sabre North [there are two triggers to enter Mt. Sabre North]
  • Showing Tornel the Tornado Bracelet triggers Mt. Sabre North
  • Getting the Ball of Water triggers Asina and the sick dolphin behind the throne room in Portoa, and also triggers the Fog Lamp owner to reappear in his house
  • Talking to Kensu in the hut enables you to use the Shell Flute
  • Activating Joel (the town) as a warp point triggers the entrance to Evil Spirit Island
  • Talking to Stom in Swan triggers Kensu's various disguises
  • Approaching the iron wall at the entrance to Goa Fortress triggers the Shyron massacre

Other Information

Much of this game is spent leveling up, which is pretty boring. I tried to make it as interesting as possible, but that's not always a realistic goal when it conflicts with speed. The fast-forward button is your friend, particularly when I kill those blue spiny things in Mt. Sabre North for several minutes. However, I think this run is pretty entertaining, especially if you're at all familiar with this game, at least moreso than the Wild Warp run. The Wild Warp gives you access to the end of the game nearly immediately, so you spend 35 minutes finishing arbitrary sidequests and furiously leveling up. I liked watching it, but I like watching this one better (although I'm a little sick of both of them right now).
To the best of my knowledge, I chose the fastest possible places to level up. Sometimes I was hindered by respawning issues, but overall, I think the leveling up went particularly well. It even gets less boring to watch near the end of the game (or at least takes less time). My boss fights were optimal to the best of my knowledge, save two. Let me first say that Stom is a little bastard. I beat him in approximately 380 frames in my first run, and could not replicate that to save my life on this run. I spent about 6 hours and over 300 rerecords trying to manipulate that pumpkin-pie haircutted freak, but to no avail. I tried dodging his attacks, pressing different buttons, waiting before entering, but nothing seemed to change his attack. I even wrote down exactly the interval between my sword strikes from my first run, and copied it exactly on this one, but it did no good. So the Stom fight in the submitted version is about 3 seconds slower than the one in my first run.
Also, Mado the first time around gave me some serious problems. It appears that his attack pattern is determined as soon as you enter Shyron, and even after I figured that out, I had to wait about 10-15 frames just to manipulate his attack pattern, and it didn't seem to manipulate into something that was considerably better than his original pattern. So I stuck with his original pattern. That battle is about 100 frames slower than the one done by TheAxeMan in the wild warp run. Otherwise, all the bosses went down nice and easy.
I equipped the Sacred Shield only because it makes the sprite look cooler. I figured it was worth 3 frames to do that.

Fun Facts

Because I never really understood how these things were made until I started making one, I thought it might interest some people to know a few things about the making of this movie.
  • My keyboard was setup as follows: HOME was up, END was down, PAGE DOWN was right, and DELETE was left. INSERT was select, PAGE UP was start, . [period] was B, / [next to period] was A, and 4 on the numpad was frame advance.
  • I made the entire movie, save maybe 10 seconds, using frame advance. Those 10 seconds were usually long, boring walks, which I played in real time.
  • I still don't really understand all the features on the emulator, like the save slots, so I just went to Save State As... and Load State From... every time I saved or loaded a savestate (I'm assuming there's a more efficient way to do it). My first run used 1277 savestates and my final run used 1240 savestates.
  • Interesting screenshots: 1316, 181429, 188790
Suggested Screenshots: 105602, 123114, 164185, 189029
Enjoy.

adelikat: I'd like some more opinions on this one.

adelikat: I have decided to reject this run.
  1. boring if you haven't played the game, and few people have.
  2. there is luck manipulation but no where near the ammount present in many of the published rpg's. Compare the 2500 re-record count to say that of ff1 (25k), dw2 (21k), dw4 (110k). The ridiculous luck manipulation is the life blood of an entertaining rpg TAS. This isn't exactly an RPG but fits mostly into the category.
  3. While controversial, we have a "wild warps" run to satisfy the craving of the few who love & want to see a run of this game
  4. Even most of the yes voters mentioned it being boring but either wanted it to replace the current run or should be published anyway.

mmbossman: This submission has been given another chance at publication. If you feel it should be published, instead of returning to the grue, please post WHY in the thread. Similarly, if you do NOT think this movie should be published, post WHY.

mmbossman: After taking a look at the Crystalis manual, I have confirmed that it does not mention the "wild warps" glitch, which is utilized in the current run. Every other run which uses button input from the second controller has made mention of this functionality in the manual, and I don't believe this guideline should have been broken originally. Because of this, I am accepting this run to obsolete the currently published run, to better conform to site rules.

ccfreak2k: Publification underway.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1184: tmont's NES Crystalis in 52:44.47
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
I still don't really understand all the features on the emulator, like the save slots, so I just went to Save State As... and Load State From... everytime I saved or loaded a savestate (I'm assuming there's a more efficient way to do it). My first run used 1277 savestates and my final run used 1240 savestates.
Holy crap :O You can just hit F5 & F7 (default keys) to quickly savestate & loadstate. press any of the 0-9 keys to select a save slot. This should save uber-time when making a TAS.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Twisted_Eye
He/Him
Active player (332)
I love this game and enjoyed the wild warp run quite a bit, but I'm not entirely sure if we need a non-warp run. The game is largely based on triggers, so even though he could warp to the end of the game really soon, he still had to go back and do most things you do here. I might be wrong somewhat, I'll definitely rewatch his run, and I'll watch your run of course, but I don't know how I feel yet about whether it would neeeeed to be published alongside a very, very similar but ultimately shorter run.
Player (51)
adelikat wrote:
You can just hit F5 & F7 (default keys) to quickly savestate & loadstate. press any of the 0-9 keys to select a save slot. This should save uber-time when making a TAS.
Eh... that does sound easier than what I did. I kept fiddling with those save/load slots or whatever, but they kept screwing me up, and in the end, I decided to do it the slow way. I'm kind of a bonehead when it comes to emulators. Apparently I'm also a bonehead when it comes to proofreading. "Every time" as one word? What's the matter with me? I think all typos are fixed, after 7 million edits to the submission text.
Player (87)
I read your comments before watching the run. I almost wish I hadn't. Some of the glitches were so unexpected that it would have been nice not to know about them, simply for the "No way!" factor. One of the things that really bothered me about the existing run was the use of the so-called "Wild Warp" cheat code, which makes the gameplay extremely hard to follow. I do have few questions. Right before entering Mt. Sabre North, you use the No-Ball-Save glitch a second time. Maybe I missed it, but was there a reason why you needed to switch back to the wind sword? Also, around frame 55000 or so (when you're leveling on the 'blue spiny things'), I noticed you changed your strategy midway through, to something quite obviously faster. Certainly it would have been worth it to rewind a couple thousand frames to redo the first part if it would have meant saving a few seconds of time? At any rate, this run is very impressive, and introduces a lot of new glitches, techniques and sequence breaks. Even though it is several minutes slower than the "Wild Warp" run, I still think that it deserves publication.
print reduce(lambda x,p:p/2*x/p+2*10**1000,range(6643,1,-2))
Ambassador, Experienced player (696)
Cool, I totally support this. I was hoping someone else would do a non-warping run because I have been a little too lazy to TAS lately. I watched your first test but I should watch this before voting. For everyone's consideration, the finer points of movement and such are very tedious to optimize because there is a lot of lag. The lag also makes it pretty much impossible to do much hex editing. Finally, leveling is even more tedious when making the video than it is when watching...
Player (51)
primorial#soup wrote:
I do have few questions. Right before entering Mt. Sabre North, you use the No-Ball-Save glitch a second time. Maybe I missed it, but was there a reason why you needed to switch back to the wind sword?
Kind of. I needed the extra experience from the two slimey-brain-looking things right before I talk to Tornel, and I also needed to kill the pink plant in the Poison Forest. But all of that is moot anyway, since the glitch stops working when I access the menu for any reason, which I had to do to equip the Warp Boots. Equipping the Sword of Wind was useful, but it wasn't the reason that I had to execute the glitch a second time.
primorial#soup wrote:
Also, around frame 55000 or so (when you're leveling on the 'blue spiny things'), I noticed you changed your strategy midway through, to something quite obviously faster. Certainly it would have been worth it to rewind a couple thousand frames to redo the first part if it would have meant saving a few seconds of time?
TheAxeMan wrote:
Finally, leveling is even more tedious when making the video than it is when watching...
That's most of the reason. Also, I didn't realize it saved so much time (about 15 frames every time). If I had done it the whole time, I probably would've saved about 3-4 seconds. Honestly, I was hoping no one would notice. Powering the sword up while moving is a pain in the ass due to lag, particularly when there's other stuff on the screen that's moving (like the remnants of those two spiny things after I killed them). Since I have to do that sequence about 40 times, it gets real old real fast, and I just couldn't bring myself to redo it.
Player (24)
Great TAS and with cool glitches. Never know, that you can pass through people this way. And skip the ball of fire is nice too. Never see these tricks before. So yes from me. I skip most the leveling parts with fast forward. But the parts which I saw were great.
Last TAS finished: Final Fantasy Adventure (4.0 Warp Glitch Run) WIP in the moment: Tail Gator (GB) Matty
If I could vote, I would vote for this. Now we just need someone to do a run for the Gameboy version :D
It gets a yes vote from me as well. There were some things that were slower than the wild warp run, such as the very start where you fall out of the cave and walk to the town, but the WW run bounces all the way into town. I don't know if this is simply because he started from reset and you started from power on though. I'm sure if I watched it a couple more times I could let you know any other parts where it seemed like you might not be optimal...but who cares. high quality run.
"How can you prove you exist? Maybe we don't exist..." -Vivi Ornitier (Final Fantasy IX)
Player (87)
Nemo2342 wrote:
Now we just need someone to do a run for the Gameboy version :D
The games are fairly identical, except that the gameboy version seems to have annoying things like not being able to buy the alarm flute (you have to find it in a cave) and Zebu popping up everywhere to explain the item you just found (like ball of wind and rabbit boots). I think the gameboy version is best left undone.
print reduce(lambda x,p:p/2*x/p+2*10**1000,range(6643,1,-2))
Player (51)
Hamm wrote:
There were some things that were slower than the wild warp run, such as the very start where you fall out of the cave and walk to the town, but the WW run bounces all the way into town. I don't know if this is simply because he started from reset and you started from power on though.
Actually, that's only possible when using the Wild Warp. TheAxeMan immediately Wild Warps to the start of Leaf (the very right edge of town). Since he never hit the ground from his fall, he continued to bounce. And starting from Power-On makes no difference, as we both chose continue. Starting from Power-On wastes 212 frames of SNK logo, though. I chose to do it that way because the FAQ vaugely mentioned that was better, although nobody really seems to care either way. Are you guys talking about the GBA remake? Wasn't there a GBA remake released like 5 years ago where you could use any sword on any enemy, at any level? That might be interesting, since it would eliminate all of the tedious leveling up sequences (or most of them). I'd look it up, but I'm lazy.
There was a GBC version that had really bad music and the expected smaller screen. It's really not worth playing if you have the NES version, although I'm not sure about the difference in sword and level requirements. I guess that would warrent looking into, but the sound is terrible. =( I voted yes, since I feel that the wild warp is using old testing codes left in the game, which isn't intended to be normally used, nor is it a glitch. But I can see either argument, and wouldn't mind there being two runs. And there were some nice new tricks used here. Also, since more travelling is required without the warp, it means there's more exp gained on the way. So there's a bit less exp gaining in the same spot over and over again, which makes the run as a whole obviously longer, but it makes the boring parts a bit shorter.
primorial#soup wrote:
Nemo2342 wrote:
Now we just need someone to do a run for the Gameboy version :D
The games are fairly identical, except that the gameboy version seems to have annoying things like not being able to buy the alarm flute (you have to find it in a cave) and Zebu popping up everywhere to explain the item you just found (like ball of wind and rabbit boots). I think the gameboy version is best left undone.
The main differences that I recall are that 1)Monsters take damage from any sword (instead of each monster being weak to certain swords) and 2)You don't have to level as much to hurt the bosses (not entirely sure on this last one). It also switches up some of the later boss fights, if my memory serves me.
adelikat
He/Him
TheAxeMan wrote:
Cool, I totally support this. I was hoping someone else would do a non-warping run because I have been a little too lazy to TAS lately. I watched your first test but I should watch this before voting. For everyone's consideration, the finer points of movement and such are very tedious to optimize because there is a lot of lag. The lag also makes it pretty much impossible to do much hex editing. Finally, leveling is even more tedious when making the video than it is when watching...
Do you support this to obsolete your run? or to publish along side yours?
Former player
I think warpless run should obsolete the current run, because it uses a debugging-code similiar to Mega Man 3's high-jumping. Haven't seen the run yet, will look at it later.
AnS
Emulator Coder, Experienced player (723)
This run is kinda more comfortable to watch than published TAS. Time difference isn't that noticeable when you don't pay attention the counter. Also, it's easier to follow the story. And some neat tricks (esp. Flight Bug!) look really awesome. Yes vote.
Actually, I don't think this should obsolete wild warping run. Although you could argue that wild warp is a debugging code, I think that here it leads to lots of interesting tricks and sequence breaks which makes the game completely different. That's why I think both styles are worth having a run. Sorry for waiting to post on this.
Player (70)
meh I won't agrue that it's well played (which is why i'm not voting no) but watching chrystalis being played is better than sleeping pills
Former player
Now that I've seen it (I watched it weeks ago really, just forgot to vote :P) I have to vote no. Main reason is that I got bored after 5 minutes, and after 15 minutes I couldn't watch it anymore. Leveling up is really boring to watch in this game.
Skilled player (1670)
Voting yes if and only if it replaces the run which uses the warp code. It's not really that boring.
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
adelikat
He/Him
*Pretending the existing run doesn't exist: This run is well... boring. It has the rpg element but without the possibility of insane luck manipulation (which is at least %50 of the entertainment value of such a run). It is like legend of zelda in its "run around and collect items to get to new parts of the game" but without the insane popularity (which in my opinion is the only thing that makes zelda movies so entertaining to people). As a result, I don't see anything that makes this run extraordinary. Voting No. *In context of existing run: 1) The current run is very similar to this but minus the tedium of backtracking and collect extra items. The whole begining looks identical. As a result, I see no justification for having both. Multiple runs of a game are for showing off something interesting that can't be shown in just one run. As a result, I think this run should not be published along side the current one. 2) This run could replace the current one that "breaks the site rules". But the rules were made by bisqwit. They were "broken" by bisqwit. And it is bisqwit who stands apathetic to the issue all together. As a result, I see no reason that the issue should be "fixed" by putting this run on the site instead. The debate is settled, the "wild warp" cheat is fair game. It would have been nice to have some explanation on why this debugging code is okay and not others but alas... Sorry for the tedious post, in short I vote No on this run in all possible scenarios. EDIT: Sorry to vote no on all your submissions tmont :) I hope it doesn't discourage you. Both submissions are good in technical quality.
First, a point to disagree on:
adelikat wrote:
without the possibility of insane luck manipulation
There is actually a lot of luck manipulation going on here to respawn the enemies faster. Sometimes even to make the enemies move a certain way. But you probably won't notice if you aren't familiar with the game. I think you are right about the popularity factor, in an alternate universe where SNK went on to produce Crystalis 2, A Link to Crystalis and Crystalis 64, this game might get a whole lot more love. I don't think anyone will deny that the overall entertainment value isn't that high. However, if you take away the leveling, this is an absolutely fantastic game for TAS. The character movements can be highly optimized. There's possibilities to reduce lag. But most importantly, the route planning is very deep, leading to many non-obvious optimizations. I think everyone who has been willing to look past the leveling enjoys this. It's just that because this is a 50-minute video and ~50% of it is leveling there aren't many people willing to do that. Now if you enjoy thinking about the route, you will also like to see both versions since the wild warp changes a lot. If not for the ghetto flight bug, this would be even more different (and 5+ mins longer). Besides the route, the rabbit boots also keep things interesting. So in conclusion I guess I'm just disappointed that this game gets no love. But at the same time I guess I can't be too surprised either.
Player (51)
Everything TheAxeMan just said. Also, while I kind of kept my prejudiced thoughts private, I never liked the Wild Warp run because it wasn't as fast as it easily could have been. The dance between the fortune teller and the queen is unbearable to watch when you know it can be skipped (in an unexpected way, no less). Especially since I've known about that trick for 10+ years. Also, some of the leveling choices in the first half of the game are not optimal. I started a wild warp run of this game and improved it by 1000 frames in the first three minutes, and by 5000 frames in the first 15, purely from choosing better places to level up (and a few other things, too). That's not to say that it shouldn't have been published (or that I'm putting down the author); I only thought these things because I was already familiar with the game. That all said, I believed that this run should obsolete the current run (even though I said it wasn't meant to) simply because of two things: 1. There aren't any known glitches that aren't used. i.e. it's perfect strategically. 2. The opportunity for showing off more glitches. e.g. ghetto flight bug and the skip-the-ball-of-fire glitches, which don't need to be used in a wild warp run. I know this run is boring in parts. Nobody wants to watch the same thing happen for 2-3 minutes in a row. However, anyone who has played this game before casually will be awestruck by the ghetto flight bug (I was the first time I did it), and even though I hate internet acronyms, the skip-the-ball-of-fire glitch (still don't have a good name for it) is a true "WTF moment." I think the glitches make up for the 10+ minutes of extra time I have to spend walking around when compared to the WW run. Also, this run features more boss fights, which are pretty cool to watch in my opinion. I think a lot of people can't get past the fact that you have to do forced leveling in this game, and voted accordingly, which I think is too bad. The leveling is more spread out in this run, so I thought it might be more bearable, but I guess not. Which I fully understand and completely expected. This game indeed gets no love. In conclusion, I thought the cool use of glitches would make up for the longer time, but I guess everyone's just not as good looking as I am. And adelikat, I hate you forever for voting no on my submissions. Punk.
Editor, Active player (296)
adelikat wrote:
The debate is settled, the "wild warp" cheat is fair game. It would have been nice to have some explanation on why this debugging code is okay and not others but alas...
In retrospect, I think it was a mistake to accept the previous movie. I think, I raised the concern about the feature being a rules-breaker, but then went and published the movie regardless because it had received good votes. But, what is done is done. I don't take down movies that have already been published. But perhaps, it could be moved into the concept demo category. If that is done, this movie should be judged separately.