Post subject: Toejam and Earl
Former player
This is likely to be the third game I'm going to tackle. Whether it's interesting or not, well, that's not a concern (yet). Toejam only, as he walks faster. I haven't decided if I'm going to do this on the Fixed world or a random one. Fixed would probably be easiest to compete on. Primary means of transportation: Doorways and Un-falls. Doorway is obvious: The random teleporter feature is unwieldy (perhaps dozens of rerecords per teleport to get where I want), but substantially reduces walking time. Unfall really acts as two teleporters the way I'll use it: On a level with a ship piece, take the elevator up, fall down on top of the ship piece, and un-fall your way back up to the next elevator. For all teleports if my destination shows up on the same screen I do I'll be happy. Getting any closer would take an insanely long time. Random presents effectively act as any present I want them to be, thanks to savestates. It can get tricky to get what I want, though. Yay abuse of the randomness! For short distances, Super Hi-Tops. For long distances, If I can't get my hands on a Doorway I'll use rocket skates for land/sea, and Icarus wings for the air. I'll likely stockpile random presents along the way and use a Randomizer if I need to restock on Hi-Tops, Doorways or Unfalls. I can drop presents I want to keep and they'll stay the same present even if they change shape.
Sounds like a big project. Good luck.
Former player
...Darnit, un-fall doesn't take you to a random location; it takes you to where the elevator would normally take you. Oh well, it's still useful for picking up ship pieces, but it's no longer more useful than a doorway. But I did find some rocket skates and will put them to good use. Update: Whew, up to level 17 (of 25). Unfortunately, I'm down to one spare set of Hi-Tops left, one doorway, some Tomatoes, Icarus Wings and a Randomizer I picked up on level 2 and haven't used, and a school book that was literally in my way. I had to take a hit as a ****ing boogeyman spawned under me when I used an un-fall (actually a random present). I do some weird things around doorways, too. Things like heading back into the elevator to avoid some moles, walking around in circles, things like that, just to try and make the door go where I want it to.
Former player
...Well, that didn't take nearly as long as I thought. The movie is 20:59 (all the way up to the "The End" screen on Funkotron), and I'm pretty sure sub-20 is possible. Heck, it'd be sub-20 if I just cut out everything right after I get the tenth ship piece, but I'm not sure if that's a "proper" end or not. http://nifboy.keenspace.com/images/Toejam&Earl-nifboy.zip Edit: Looked it over, and realized there's no reason for the Funkotron part to suck so much, especially if I was going to submit it. I cut time by 15 seconds (now 20:44) just by optimizing that one last part. Same URL, though. Edit again: Rom name: Toejam & Earl (U) (REV 00) [!]
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
ouch that was crazy, it's one of those really humanly impossible recs. congrats!
Former player
Yup. In general, any screwing around I do before doing something random (Doorways, falling off cliffs, random presents/randomizers) is to affect the randomness. Any screwing around I do afterwards is me going "Ha! Finally! There it is!" and trying not to look bad reacting to it. Around something like the second-to-last door I go into I finally devise a method for checking all possible frames I can enter the door: in something like 20% speed, Save, enter, load, save immediately, enter, repeat if necessary. Unfortunately, the menus are a pain; they can't be done in slow-mo easily.
Post subject: ToeJam and earl 1
I was just waiting a few weeks for someone to post this and do a speed run. I think this could be an interesting run just to see how the player uses the presents. The routes would be pretty simple. If it doesnt have a ship part, then go straight to the next elevator, if it has a part, then get that, then go to the elevator. But anyways.. for this run to be interesting, I think you would have to be pretty creative. But I would like to see this done because this game does infact own. So does anyone have any plans of doing a run on this game?
There's a cancelled run in the submissions list if you want something to keep you satiated. It uses doorway presents often for getting around, with falling off the higher level and unfalls for many of the ship pieces. Link
I like my "thank you"s in monetary form.
Former player
Personally I'd really like to see this, but doorless.
Former player
Just so y'all know, I am not dead, and I started v2 of my run, about halfway through and half a minute shorter so far. A doorless run should follow, although it'll be a while before that happens.
i would be interested in this. i played that game a lot as a kid. i was horrible at it tho lol
Former player
...Still not dead, although I've restarted with frame advance and a couple modifications... But damn do I need some motivation. I also need to figure out what it is that makes the doors tick. Maybe I should do the doorless run first, to see exactly what the most optimal places to use doors are. Random notes: Durations (give or take 3 seconds): (un)Fall -> regain control: 5 seconds Rocket Skates: 15 seconds. Boombox, Elevator*: 20 seconds. Icarus Wings, Raincloud: 30 seconds. Hi-tops: 50 seconds. Most every other present: 60 seconds. Presents don't age in elevators. *: Thus, a minimum of eight minutes (24 elevators) must be spent in the elevators. As a comparison, my v1 was a little less than 21 minutes, making over a third of it waiting in the elevator. Straight horizontal movement is 1.3 times faster than diagonally walking the same distance either horizontally or vertically. Roads multiply running speed by about 1.2 (Ergo, roads aren't faster if you have a straight shot to wherever you're going).
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
I hope you regain your motivation for making Genesis movies. I really liked your Genesis movies so far.
Skilled player (1484)
Ha! Because of random worlds, I managed to get one of the fastest worlds in my first try! Can you believe... My first time was 24:49 and then I found this topic and realized I could improve signifcantly my time and here it is, 16:42. I even managed to waste time in level 7, so if you think it's worth to submit this movie after improving, I'll do it. http://www.freewebs.com/suklaalevy/files/megadrive/ Edit: I realized my run is not finished (to "The end" -screen) So it takes a little more time. Edit2: So the final time is now 19:05.
Projects: Warlock, Ren & Stimpy (impr) / Generations Lost (impr.)
deffinatly 1 of my favorite genesis games when i was young. #2 was a disapointment though (though would be cool to see a run of) will watch tomorrow when i wake up. also maTO - your the first person i've seen to do a TAS of wonderboy 5 and i'm so glad i went to your site. my fav game on genesis just got better. will watch this tomorrow too
Skilled player (1484)
37-second-improvement. Time is now 18:28 :)
Former player
Watching this, I can't help but come to the conclusion that omnipotence makes TJ&E a very boring game.
maTO wrote:
37-second-improvement. Time is now 18:28 :)
Am I reading this right, first you say 16:42, then it's 13 seconds faster at 18:28...
Skilled player (1484)
Nifboy, I agree that this game played as fast as possible is not fun to watch and therefore not worth publishing. AdmiralJonB, was my post-editing so confusing to read? Should I edit it to be more clear?
I'm sorry, I was half asleep at the time when i wrote it, must have missed the last bit, lol. Sorry about that.
TJ&E unfortunatly falls into a "fun to play, boring to watch" catagory for some people, and i can see why too. personaly i liked the run and would like to see it published. with any luck the 2nd one will be attempted sometime soon
Skilled player (1484)
http://www.freewebs.com/suklaalevy/files/megadrive/toejam.rar Toejam & Earl (REV 00) (U) [!] This was made a long time ago without frame advance IF I recall correctly. Would it be worth submitting if it was polished?
Former player
Probably my favorite game as a kid. I don't think it's very suited for a TAS or speedrun, then again that's true for a lot of games. I bet it would be a lot of fun to make though if you're into the puzzle/luck manipulation type TASes. I certainly think it should and would be published if a good run of it was submitted.
Zoey Ridin' High <Fabian_> I prett much never drunk
Skilled player (1533)
I'm a huge fan of the game, but it's way too boring to watch. It's a really slow game and the environments are completey dull. Panik on Funkatron however is perfect for a TAS, and I really want that guy to finish his, he got up to level 7 or so last year.
Joe
I'd think it would have a chance if you polished it up a bit. Really liked teh luck manipulation.