Okie doke. Zelda 2, improved by 2485 frames.
There are a few ‘major’ (few second) improvements over Rising Tempest’s run, but most time saved is through a different fighting techniques. Most enemies are killed withouht losing forward momentum rather than as quickly as possible, unless a pot or p bag I need drops, then I go for the kill as quickly as possible.
The timing of this game is almost dependant entirely on what frame you enter a room. Enemies behave differently, and on the overworld, (most) enemy groups are different on every different frame. Some monsters appear on the overworld based on how long you spend on it, rather than number of steps taken. These ones are harder to manipulate, as you must spend extra time inside a cave, town or palace to make them change.
Also, every 6 enemies killed drop a p bag or pot. This almost determines for me what I kill and what I skip.
On the way back from the hidden town, I kill a red lizalfos. It does not count for the 6 count, and it slows you down. However, it slows you down exactly the number of frames needed to get a favorable enemy group on the overworld. It actually saves time this way, and it’s not obvious why that enemy is killed, so I’m highlighting it.
Fighting tactics:
The techniques used in this movie were for the most part used by Rising Tempest. The ‘whirlwind’ (press left one frame, right the next, repeat, while your sword is out for 3 hits per attack) and the ‘jackhammer’ (press down every other frame during downstab for quick damage) are still present.
However, these both slow you down. In stead, I rely mostly on downstab, but hold down for 2 frames instead of one. This keeps you moving forward. Any time an enemy takes one hit, you move forward after the attack, no matter what it is.
Towards the end of the run, I discovered that holding down while your attack animation ends gives you 1 frame of downstab. The hit registers as a downstab, but is detected on your forward-pointing sword. This is primarily he attack used to keep moving forward inside the great palace. It is especially useful for the big blobs, and thunderbird. More on that later ;)
Major improvements:
I found a way to jump over the darias during the Hammer run, without using the jump spell. If you let go of forward while in the air, you keep your forward momentum, but the enemy reacts as if you are slowing down. They therefore run farther, and Link can make the jump without taking damage. Many daria are skipped, and I kill only enough to get 2 sword levels. I also avoid getting the ‘Life Level Up’ dialogue. Rising Tempest was very handy throughout this section, with ideas.
In palace 2, getting a p bag drop from a small enemy skips an out of the way bag.
In palace 6, an out of the way pot is not gotten, and ‘reflect’ is not cast.
All bosses are improved by either more precise fighting, or different strategies. The most notable boss improvements are:
Palace 2 boss: slightly different strategy.
Palace 5 boss: In stead of jumping over him, and coming at him from the back, I found a gap in between the mace to start attacking as soon as possible. Me second favorite fight ;)
Palace 6 boss: Though it is possible to stay on top of the dragon with downstab, as shown in the published run, jumping in between hits was faster, as all hits could be delivered in faster bunches.
Thunderbird (great palace): I can’t take credit for this strategy. After discovering the downstab trick, I was bouncing ideas off of Rising Tempest for Shadow Link. Somehow we got on the topic of Thunderbird, which I mentioned I did with 2 jumps in stead of 3. He tested the idea we came up with, and it worked. Don’t blink.
Shadow Link: All hits are delivered on the first frame his invincibility ends.
About Link’s name: It’s possible to skip the ‘enter your name’ screen. This is a glitch, so I did it. I don’t particularly care if Link has a name or not, since I don’t think it really adds or detracts from this game (it appears only after I do a soft reset). Since it is faster to not have the name, that’s what I decided to do.
That’s about it, I think. Enjoy the show. Any other questions, let me know.
  • Takes no damage
  • Aims for fastest time
  • No predefined saves
  • Uses a game restart sequence
  • Manipulates luck

adelikat: Nice improvement. Accepting for publication.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1288: Inzult's NES Zelda II: The Adventure of Link in 49:00.25
Player (166)
First vote bitches!
Here's a question: Are you forced to get the key from the bosses to advance? Because I know that at least for Temple 6, you have a key left over from the midboss that you could use for the final door.
I like my "thank you"s in monetary form.
Active player (422)
NrgSpoon wrote:
Here's a question: Are you forced to get the key from the bosses to advance?
Yes, the screen doesn't scroll until you collect the key.
Just checking :) The other thing I thought up was getting boosts from enemies by slashing them after jumping past them, since you usually move backwards a bit when you attack stuff. Good for a time saver every so often if it works, but it can wait for a new run.
I like my "thank you"s in monetary form.
Former player
Great movie! I enjoyed every minute of it. There's just one tiny thing that bothers me: how slowly you get off the elevators when coming down. Link only starts moving after the elevator is already stopped. It looks like you could stand on the other end of the elevator and start moving forward when the elevator is still in motion, so that when you get off the elevator you are already at full speed. You don't do this as a fairy (well I think you do but since fairy seems to get full speed immediately it doesn't show) or when coming up an elevator so it kinda looks bad. Rising Tempest's movie had the same problem. I don't know how he did it but I think it was much much smoother in Arc's movie of the FDS version. Could be just me though, I don't know anything about the physics of the game.
Player (166)
The elevators work different in the FDS- I think this is why it was chosen originally, the NA elevators didn't emulate properly or something. Since you need to hold down to go down the elevator, the game actually flags you as ducking- so you can't move left or right until you stop holding down, this is why in our movies we sword bounce off the wall to get a little closer to the edge of the platform. This isn't an issue with fairie (you cant duck as a fairie), so you can move left/right on the elevator this way. So, in rooms where the spell is cast its (generally) for the best to start on the elevator and save a few frames by getting off sooner. There are a few other physics changes, namely loss of momentum from striking objects (it wasn't quite so much in FDS), and how a couple bosses work, but otherwise the games behave similarly.
Former player
Ah so there was a good explanation. Thanks.
Active player (432)
Watched your WIPs, fine run, excellent work. Conclusion: Voting yes. Edit: Did I miss 80 submissions? :)
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Editor, Active player (466)
Loved this run, voting yes. I just have one question: There were several cases where you changed to a fairy while moving down an elevator. As a fairy, you started from the middle of the elevator instead of from the side. Couldn't you have slash-bounced off the wall as Link, then switched to fairy once you gained that distance?
Active player (422)
Chef Stef wrote:
Couldn't you have slash-bounced off the wall as Link, then switched to fairy once you gained that distance?
Yes, but it wouldn't have mattered, since fairy can move on the elevator. I moved to the side as far as I could before getting off the elevator anyway.
Player (24)
Great done. Vote yes.
Last TAS finished: Final Fantasy Adventure (4.0 Warp Glitch Run) WIP in the moment: Tail Gator (GB) Matty
Experienced player (612)
You severely broke this game down into pieces; yes vote, definately entertaining for a Fifty minute game.
Arc
Editor, Experienced player (768)
[Inzult] I need Arc or something to point out super tiny flaws, and quick.
Overall, I think that this movie is a virtuoso performance. But, here is a super tiny flaw. When you swordbounce on a lift, you want to get as close to the wall as possible, i.e. the 'ideal' position in the above picture. I got into that position with multiple swordbounces—not by merely walking to the left. You could save maybe two or three seconds by swordbouncing over farther every time (and, thus, make the movie 48:5X instead of 49:00). You also traveled over only one of the two faster non-swamp squares near the entrance of the swamp palace, but I assume that you seemingly couldn't avoid an enemy encounter if you did so.
Active player (422)
Ha, cool. Good eye. I can't beleive I didn't even bother to check that on the lifts. That'll go on my to-do list for next time. I'll be actively looking for quicker paths on the overworld as well. If I walked on both squares, one of the blobs, I think, moved differently and caught up to me. Now that I think about it, there's probably a few frames extra wait time that would make the enemeis behave the same way but take a few fewer frames overall. That solution to the path to the Swamp Palace was the best I could find. I doubt means it's the best there is ;)
AngerFist wrote:
Edit: Did I miss 80 submissions? :)
Bisqwit imported ~80 old movies that were published and obsoleted prior to the first incarnation of the current wiki-driven site... that's why the new movies' ids suddenly jumped by about 80.
Active player (422)
Kyrsimys wrote:
It looks like you could stand on the other end of the elevator and start moving forward when the elevator is still in motion, so that when you get off the elevator you are already at full speed.
I know you were referring to downward moving lifts, but now that I think about it, this may be worth testing on upwards moving lifts. That is, moving to the wrong side first, to see if Link's speed is higher when he gets off. As long as we still have room to get off as soon as possible. Link's acceleration is pretty good, but not instantaneous. I'm not sure if it would actually help... Elevator action.
Editor, Active player (296)
Arc wrote:
But, here is a super tiny flaw.
Wow. I was going to post about that ― it somehow caught my eye upon realtime viewing. But when I watched those again in slow motion, I couldn't find what exactly to complain about :o
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
I enjoyed watching this run. This will not be the last zelda 2 run but it is certainly well planned and executed. Yes vote. I'd really like to see the fairy glitch used since it could shave a few minutes off the run, but alas...
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Active player (422)
Thanks, adelikat. But if I may:
adelikat wrote:
I'd really like to see the fairy glitch used since it could shave a few minutes off the run, but alas...
For some reason, I felt weird developing a plan including the fairy glitch to compete with Jack's run. Like, what glitches go in this run, and what ones go in the 'glitched' run? If I use fairy, should I use the healer glitch? Or do I just disclude all broken controller glitches? Or do I try to return all the crystals, by any means? I decided to just avoid all warping glitches and try to improve the run more directly. I don't know. Seems like a gray area to me.
Skilled player (1670)
I like. Yes yes yes.
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [687] NES Zelda II: The Adventure of Link "warpless" by Inzult in 49:00.25
Player (51)
Um, not to repeat myself, but
tmont, some time ago, wrote:
I noticed this a while ago, but was too lazy to mention it. Why exactly is this game listed as "Legend of Zelda 2..." when its title (in the US) is "Zelda II..."?
Also, the glitched run has the same problem (it's called "Legend of Zelda 2" instead of just "Zelda 2"). If you want to get crazy, it's a Roman Numeral 2 (II), and there's also a colon and some stuff about an adventure of link. And another preposition. In conclusion, good run.
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1300)
tmont wrote:
I noticed this a while ago, but was too lazy to mention it. Why exactly is this game listed as "Legend of Zelda 2..." when its title (in the US) is "Zelda II..."?
I think it's done that way for consistency, so that games in the same series are next to each other alphabetically in the movie listings that people browse through. Several other games aren't listed by their full names, either.
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
tmont: Like nitsuja said it's for grouping purposes. Perhaps I can change this to something like "Legend of Zelda 2: The adventure of Link" so that the full name of the game is at least included somewhere in the string.