Submission Text Full Submission Page
Uses FCEU 0.98.15 Aims for fastest time Abuses programming errors Kirby's Adventure is a long adventure game where you must beat 7 bosses and the nightmare. You can inhale certain enemies to get their powers.
In this run, you may notice that I keep the UFO power after the level is finished. This is an error in the game. To keep the UFO power, you must find a level that you have already beaten and that has UFO in it. Then, get the UFO power and press start and select at the same time. From the menu, pick exit level, and you will have the UFO power forever. The only disadvantage is the UFO can't go down ladders, which means some levels must be done without it.

Bisqwit: Rejected for being improveable, as discussed in the Kirby's Adventure thread.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1307: kirbymuncher's NES Kirby's Adventure in 42:47.17
Former player
I'd like to hear more about the improvements and stuff, because it desynced in the second world. Could you please update the submission text and tell where exactly did you save time and where you lost it?
Player (36)
I have no idea where I lost or gained time because I couldn't veiw the previous movie for some reason. And i'm sorry about the desyncing, but it works fine for me.
Player (104)
I vote Meh. Great tactic, but done very very inefficiantly. I see all sorts of lag, and starting even from the first level I notice that you take such a long route to get the UFO the first time. Did you watch the first run by Bisqwit? That was an excellent tactic to get the wheel, which would have gotten you through the first level at least twice faster. Watch Bisqwit's video and see how he get's the wheel, and maybe use it to get UFO after. Also, try cutting down on lag. You let a lot of enemies stay alive and it slows you way down. Move as little as possible. Only moving straight up/down or side/side is the fastest. This run is not frame perfect, it almost looks like you recorded at 85% the entire time. Not quite normal play, but not tool assisted too much either... I only vote meh because it beats an existing run, but my question is, how could it? Some of those boss battles looked like how I do when I beat the game normal, many things appear unoptimized. Using wheel appears just as fast as using UFO...Bisqwit still wins the entertainment value of this run, in my humble opinion.
Soft Blue Dragon
Former player
So Donamer you got it working without desynchs? What ROM and emulator version did you use?
Player (104)
Kyrsimys wrote:
So Donamer you got it working without desynchs? What ROM and emulator version did you use?
I used FCEUltra 0.98.15 with ROM Kirby's Adventure (U) (PRG0) [!].nes Works fine for me so far as I can tell, but everything about this run speeks for itself in the first world in my opinion...
Soft Blue Dragon
Emulator Coder, Former player
Doesn't look bad, but looks like further optimization is possible. Voting meh.
Senior Moderator
DonamerDragon wrote:
I only vote meh because it beats an existing run, but my question is, how could it?
Very simple: Bisqwit did his run on a european ROM, which, I assume, runs at 50 FPS. This run: 154030 frames. Bisqwit's run: ~159850 frames (by PAL timing). By frame count, this run beats the current one only by ~1.5 minutes, but considering how unoptimized it is (the lag is what kills me the most), it shouldn't be published. Voting no.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Player (36)
So should I try again?
Senior Moderator
Yes, I guess so. Right now your run is more than 27 seconds slower than JXQ's (his WIP can be found here) after the first world's boss fight. That is pretty much unacceptable, as you may see. Try to beat his time and if you succeed in both that and maintaining the same level of optimization for the rest of the run, I think no-one would say a bad word about it. Another good idea is to post WIPs and let the experts give you important advices and spot the mistakes. Good luck.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Skilled player (1402)
Didn't know that, about keeping UFO... did you find it out yourself? Either way, the movie quality was way below par, so I have to vote no on this. I do like Kirby getting a little attention :)
Former player
I voted No. You made a great run, but not good enough. In a lot of places you just ignored that diagonals existed, using side/up instead of just a diagonal move, what is faster. In the ending of the stages, only in few you did a frame perfect jump. All the stairs you moved down you fail to fall faster (just grabbing the stair, and pressing for one side, Kirby will fall faster than climbing down). And to finish, you didn't minimized the lag. I liked the UFO bug, but you run all the time charging a shoot, even when it's not necessary, was an error. Try to charge only in the times you need. I Really liked your run, and it beat Bisqwit's run, but it don't beat JXQ WIP, and have a lot of little mistakes. Good look in your next TAS :)
Not more working on: DKC3 105% < Needs modified Nitsuja Snes9x+9, with reset recording.
upthorn
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Active player (388)
I'm voting yes, because this is a substantial improvement over the currently published run. However, if this run does get published, it doesn't mean you shouldn't still go back and fix it up.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
Player (36)
Thanks everyone, but I have one question. How do you put the download links in the posts like that?
Former player
I noticed there was some save data when you started the game. The first file started at 1%, and the second at 29%. I don't think this affects anything, but generally you're supposed to start with a clean save ram. At the end of the second boss, Kirby shoots off to the side after grabbing the star rod piece, and is forced to walk back to the centre of the screen. He should land as close to centre as possible to save a couple seconds. I got bored at this point. This is the sort of game that's more fun to play than watch. But do keep trying nonetheless.
kirbymuncher wrote:
Thanks everyone, but I have one question. How do you put the download links in the posts like that?
You mean like this?: [*url=http://tasvideos.org/submissions/1307.zip]Insert your text here[*/url] which will work like this when you remove the *s: Insert your text here EDIT: Looks like Guybrush beat me to it :).
Which run should I encode next? :)
I am voting no on this particular run. It's not that I'm not impressed, I used to wish I could use the UFO through every level. But now that I have actually seen it done, being able to is just really boring to watch.
Active player (277)
Plus it uses up a sound channel constantly!
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
I think UFO presents a new and better way to TAS this game, and not just because it's faster (although UFO could be over 20 seconds faster than Tornado over just the first world when optimized). Lag can be drastically reduced by destroying the right enemies as they appear on the screen, and bosses are relentlessly stomped. While the constant sound is somewhat annoying, the fact that Kirby is pink instead of tan I think is a plus. Of course, at over forty minutes, any spammed ability is going to get repetitive. But my main point is that the UFO power gives the entire aura of controlling the game rather than just playing it more than other powers do.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
I couldn't even stand to watch the full movie on the FCEU Emulator. It wouldn't even be worth downloading the AVI. The Variety of powers is what kept the old run interesting to watch, even though it desynced. I'm sure there are others that agree with me on that point.
Active player (277)
I don't even mind a lack of variety as long as you move optimally.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Player (70)
this is like, 6 minutes faster than the currently published run. If it's not good enough, then neither is the current run. It was also about 10 more fun to watch than published runs on games like crystalis, final fantasy 6, adventure island and all the ridiculously broken glitch runs
Player (70)
Not to mention the whole famtasia thing
Former player
NecroVMX wrote:
this is like, 6 minutes faster than the currently published run. If it's not good enough, then neither is the current run.
Lots of bad runs were published back then, I don't think it's good to repeat the same mistakes. This run is good, but not good enough, it can still be greatly improved.