Submission Text Full Submission Page
  • Emulator Used: FCEU 0.98.15
  • Uses Warps
  • Abuses programming errors in the game
  • Aims for fastest time without 'B'-Button
  • Genre: Platform

Regarding to Bisqwits Speedwalk recording, i thought it should be possible to do it faster than he. I watched his submission about 100 times to find, where there is a "time" for improvement. I found some, mostly 1-frame-improvement. Soon on recording i noticed, that i forgot about the 21-frame-rule. Nevertheless I TASed it until the end...
There's only a improvement of three frames, but there is an improvement.
About this submission:
  1. played 3 frames faster
  2. kills less enemies
  3. aims for fastest time possible
  4. orienting at Bisqwits walk
LevelFramecount BisqwitFramecount AGGRESSiON
1-115051505
1-225222521
4-123882388
4-224252424
8-140424043
8-223152316
8-322842283
8-435813578
Framecount is when Mario is visible until when Mario hits the pole / is invisble / hits the axe
I nearly forgot, that in the file there are 43 re-recordings counted... At all, there were much more (about 9000).

Bisqwit: Rejected, because

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
You know Bisqwit's TAS was simply an April Fools joke, right?
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Former player
Hmmm, the 3 frames of improvement was barely noticible to my eyes. Obsoleting of a concept demo, has it ever happened before? I am not sure what to vote.
Truncated wrote:
Truncated is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man. -- xoinx
what the hell I guess... meh?
xoinx wrote:
Obsoleting of a concept demo, has it ever happened before?
Yes. JXQ has obsoleted his super demo world run 2 times I think, and that is a concept demo. A fairly pointless run I think. Funny april fools though :) meh
Tub
JXQs run was not a "concept demo", it was a speedrun for a hack. Thus it ended up in the "Concept demos/Other"-category along with the concept demos. It doesn't say that concept demos should be obsoleted. The previous run was entertaining because it was a fresh and funny idea. It was fast because slowness is boring, but speedwise perfection was neither the primary goal nor source of the entertainment value. This run doesn't add to the idea (which is now old, probably boring) and provides just minor improvements in speed - which nobody cares about, since there's no speedrun community for SMB speedwalks. I don't think this old joke should be revived at the top of NewMovies. I don't think the old run should be silently replaced either, as the new one doesn't really add to the entertainment value (and Bisqwit deserves his name next to this sillyness.. so everyone knows who to blame :p). While it might be interesting for some to know that it can be done faster, or to see where you squeezed some frames, none of that requires encoding. Frame comparisons are best done inside the emulator. No vote. edit: yeah, biqwit managed to summarise my post in one short concise sentence.
m00
I think we can add link to this submission @for those who are interested" in published movie summary
Senior Moderator
What Tub said. This was an April, 1st joke, it didn't have to be absolutely perfect to do that. Since you're not even submitting your run on that exact day, it loses all of its value. Voting no. However, I must say, you shouldn't be discouraged because of this outcome. Try improving some another run for a change, you seem to have some necessary skills to do that.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
If walking is good enough for the Olympics, it's good enough for us, as far as I am concerned. Thumbs way up! Don't rest on your laurels, though, buckeroo ... I expect to see further improvements soon!
Player (70)
if it was significant (at least 21 frames) then i'd say yes but c'mon 3 frames? hell no
Banned User, Former player
I think it's erroneous to claim that speed was not the aim in this "walkathon". Of course it was. It's just that a limitation was imposed for entertainment reasons, in order to get a different category of run for the same game. In other words, it's a "how fast can be the game completed without pressing the b button at all?", ie. speed was still the main goal even with the imposed limitation. This is no different from "how fast can this game be completed without using any warps?" or "how fast can this game be completed by using this alternative route/character" which are accepted (and by all means acceptable) forms of TASing. However, I fully agree that a mere 3 frame improvement is way too little for this kind of special concept TAS. This was more a curiosity than a really serious record-breaking TAS, and thus this kind of "obsolete by 3 frames" would be way overboard. A 10-second improvement would more like it (but of course most probably impossible).
Editor, Active player (296)
Warp wrote:
I think it's erroneous to claim that speed was not the aim in this "walkathon".
It is not erroneous. I indeed did not try to optimize it. (*) I only intended it as a concept demonstration for funny effect on a particular April Fools' day. *) As witnessed by the 34-frame improvement I linked to the rejection message of this submission. I created that improvement in 2 hours and even that's not optimized; I only aimed to demonstrate that ACiDYCAPS's submission is not much more optimal than my unoptimized movie was.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, stale!