Submission Text Full Submission Page

About The Movie File

• Recorded with VisualBoy Advance v1.72 Re-recording 19.3;
  • Abuses programming errors;
  • Uses warps to save time;
  • Aims for fastest time;
  • Uses SRAM to unlock a secondary character.

About The Game

This game is not my favourite, because I like the Castlevania series, but I don't like whips. Fortunately, we have Maxim Kischine: ninja best friend of Juste Belmont, armed with his Stellar Sword and his saddistic laugh.

About The Run

In this run I used the "whip launch" glitch to get inside a wall, and then zip my way out of the castle. My original intention was to end the run with a Maxim versus Maxim fight, but that's impossible... There's nothing in the final room in Castle A.
Thanks to Kaz, for finding the glitch (not Ogreslayer, sorry... I think he discovered how to do it off of ledges), and to Atma, who shortened the length of the run by 12 seconds!

Some quick notes:
  • When I kick the first candleholder, I backdash until Maxim gets past it and then jump towards the left to attack. It's not possible to jump to the right, and then move to the left and use the downwards kick and then attack, because.. you know what → ← ↓ B does, don't you?
  • When I fight Dracula Wraith, you may think I could do the finishing special attack faster, but it's necessary to wait a while(15 to 20 frames, not sure) after pressing ↑ + A to roll.
  • About the SRAM usage, I repeat what I said in the AoS hard mode run. Just complete the game with the best ending and then delete that saved game file. Now compare the resulting .sav file with the .sav created when you start this run.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
I'm not voting yes till you get it under 30 seconds.
Experienced player (612)
VANDAL, once wrote:
This being the fastest manner of completing this game with another character (may be able to be pushed even further, who knows?) I give it a yes.
Yeah...
Active player (308)
xoinx wrote:
7503 re-records... that's quite a hefty amount for a 45 sec run, any particular area that caused so many re-records?
Yeah. It's extremely hard to get inside that final room before Dracula.
"Genuine self-esteem, however, consists not of causeless feelings, but of certain knowledge about yourself. It rests on the conviction that you — by your choices, effort and actions — have made yourself into the kind of person able to deal with reality. It is the conviction — based on the evidence of your own volitional functioning — that you are fundamentally able to succeed in life and, therefore, are deserving of that success." - Onkar Ghate
Bisqwit wrote:
Drama, too long, didn't read, lol.
Former player
Meh. Nothing too new or interesting. Isn't this how the game is supposed to be played? I've been tinkering with the game physics, and I've discovered that you can actually stay out of the walls and stuff. Yeah, I know, it's pretty crazy!
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Former player
Hmmm, the main difference being that the movie was ended earlier immediately after activating the skill and without jumping for the orb... that's all right? And I was hoping for some even crazier stunt to be pulled off :( but YES anyway EDIT: although the input ends faster, it takes longer to reach the credits... is this still considered superior to the previous version??
Truncated wrote:
Truncated is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man. -- xoinx
Active player (308)
Zurreco wrote:
Isn't this how the game is supposed to be played?
Well, your purpose is to kill Dracula, so... yeah, that's how it should be played.
xoinx wrote:
And I was hoping for some even crazier stunt although the input ends faster, it takes longer to reach the credits... is this still considered superior to the previous version??
But, Atma removed 12 seconds of input! Isn't it the craziest stunt ever? And, if the game can reach the credits without me pressing nothing, yeah, it's superior.
"Genuine self-esteem, however, consists not of causeless feelings, but of certain knowledge about yourself. It rests on the conviction that you — by your choices, effort and actions — have made yourself into the kind of person able to deal with reality. It is the conviction — based on the evidence of your own volitional functioning — that you are fundamentally able to succeed in life and, therefore, are deserving of that success." - Onkar Ghate
Bisqwit wrote:
Drama, too long, didn't read, lol.
Kaz
Former player
Maxim moves much faster than Juste does. Dashing, it takes him 37 frames to cross the same distance that takes Juste 58 frames to cross. That's probably why it's possible: Maxim's max speed while launching is faster than the screen can scroll, something I don't think Juste can do, but hey, you can always try.
Ummm... dayum?! Considering I started playing the game today and map whored my way to glory, playing with Maxim was my next plan... but after seeing this... well ^^;; No need to play the game since I've seen the ending ^_^ Now can we get some Boss Rush action going too!? :) A definite yes vote till then :) Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
Senior Moderator
LOL, where did this come from? :D Very funny run, and easy yes vote! Now how about some soul hunting? ;)
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
I think pirate only does runs that start from SRAM :) It's nice to skip the way-too-long introduction of the game (which is around twice as long as this run). *recalls Aria of Sorrow's obsoletion situation* Should I stop working on my run now? ;)
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Former player
JXQ wrote:
I think pirate only does runs that start from SRAM :) It's nice to skip the way-too-long introduction of the game (which is around twice as long as this run). *recalls Aria of Sorrow's obsoletion situation* Should I stop working on my run now? ;)
No JXQ! Edit: Also, why do you say in your in your submission text condescendingly, that Kaz discovered the whip launch and not me? Since when did I say I did? If this actually is published it should be a concept demo.
Working on: Command and Conquer PSX Nod Campaign
Senior Moderator
Yeah, I vote for the concept demo as well.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
upthorn
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Active player (388)
Hilarious. VERY YES
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
Joe
Very cool, glitched out run. I had no Idea what the heck was going on, but was thouroughly entertained.
Skilled player (1090)
I don't see why this should be a concept demo. It is a full, non-hacked game played as fast as we currently know and so should be published accordingly. EDIT -- I hope this doesn't revive the whole 'King's Bounty' arguements. EDIT 2 - And in said arguement my opinion was the same :)
Former player
It should be a concept demo because of the fact it uses SRAM. Infact, so should the Julius run and the hard mode AoS run (none of which should of been published anyway, but thats another story..). If this is published and not a concept demo, I might as well start working on a magician run In CotM to obsolete my 22:44 run and my 5:34 run, because it would mean SRAM is the norm now.
Working on: Command and Conquer PSX Nod Campaign
Kaz
Former player
And hero of the day should start working on a New Game+ CT run with level ** characters and the best equipment in the game.
Former player
Kaz wrote:
And hero of the day should start working on a New Game+ CT run with level ** characters and the best equipment in the game.
No, because this is neither interesting nor challenging. Anyone could beat Lavos with the best characters easily.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
No one knows what a concept demo is supposed to be because Bisqwit hasn't explicitly defined it. It will continue to be ambiguous until he addresses that definition. I have explained it to others as "a different box to put movies in that are outside the box". Edit: I personally don't think this belongs in the concept demos section. If the game was programmed to not need completion before accessing Maxim, it would be the same movie with a blue title screen.
Senior Moderator
Kaz wrote:
In fact, there already is such a run, and it can hardly be improved.
Warp wrote:
SRAM isn't accepted because that SRAM data is not known to be correct, it could be modified to allow things you normally couldn't do. The AoS runs were accepted since the SRAM was created by a known way (existing TAS) but how do we know this SRAM is really what you get when you beat the game rather than some hex edited thing?
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Well if that's the case then just wait until a full run of HoD is finished and use that SRAM, or at least test it with it. Still waiting for that definition of concept demo...
Senior Moderator
JXQ wrote:
Still waiting for that definition of concept demo...
"Something that doesn't fit elsewhere"?
Warp wrote:
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Well, this is a GBA game. So it fits there.