• Emulator used: FCE Ultra 0.98.16
  • Genre: Action
  • Manipulates luck.
  • Aims for fastest completion time
  • Uses death as a shortcut
  • Uses a code that allows me to play this game on hard-difficulty.
This is a 3963 frames (1 min 6.05 sec) improvement over lithven's run. The improvement comes from many factors, which I will explain in these comments. But before I brief you about where the improvement comes from, let me introduce this game to those of you who haven't played it.
Story of the game: To quote the game's intro: "The country is struggling against the cruel domination of the king. Their leader and his comrades attempt to secretly land on the shore. But the king's military is waiting to attack them." So basically, you are some movement's leader, and you mission is to (on your own, of course) kill the king, who is very cruel. Honesly, you could just skip the story, it's not really important when watching this movie. Just remember that the military is the bad guys, and I'm the good guy.
If you haven't played this game, I strongly recommend that you to read the following comments before watching the movie. It will help you understand the movie a lot better.
I won't give detailed comments on each and every stage, since there really isn't that much to comment on, instead I'll give you some general information about this run and the game itself.
About lag: One huge factor in this game is lag. This game lags a lot, and i mean a lot. Whenever you kill an enemy, the game lags for 2-4 frames or so. You'll notice a few places that lags in this run, but often it's so little lag that it isn't noticable, but it's there. I tried hard to minimize lag in this run, but since I don't know how to use the memory viewer, I don't know how well I did. In any case, it's not so much lag that it's annoying to watch the movie or anything, it's just a pain to make a TAS where you know that every time you kill an enemy you will most likely loose a couple of frames. Because of this, I avoid killing enemies unless it's faster to kill them than to let them go.
About dying: It only takes one hit to kill you in this game, so you want to avoid getting hit at all costs. Dying will make you appear at the same place that you died, and you have infinite lives, you dying when playing this game on a console isn't a big deal, but since it wastes time, I'm not doing it in this run, except for one place, which I will describe later on.
Luck manipulation: It's possible to manipulate luck in this game, in that matter that you can sometimes change where (and sometimes even if) an enemy appears on the screen. This often wastes time, because you often have to walk to the far right of the screen of the screen to change where an enemy appears, which makes it faster just to let the enemy appear on the original place. Luck manipulation is used a few times in the run, to save a little time here and there.
Weapon pickups: The letters you sometimes see lying around on the ground are weapon pickups. Let me give a short explanation of the 4 weapons I use in the run :
"Normal grenade": This is not a weapon pickup, instead it's your default weapon.
"T-weapon (Shrapenel):" This is the most used weapon in this run. It fires a rocket that explodes into 3 machine fun bullets when it hits something. This weapon is the strongest in the game, and is therefor the prefered weapon on bosses.
"F-weapon (Flamethrower):" This weapon is really good on killing bigger groups of enemies. I use this weapon on bosses where you have to kill a lot of soldiers, for example, on the submarine on level 3.
"C-weapon (Complete destruction): This weapon sounds really cool, but isn't as useful as it sounds. It gives you a new kind of grenade, that, when throwed, will kill all the enemies on the screen. Once you have used this once, it disappears and you go back to having normal grenades again. This weapon probably sounds awesome, but the game lags a lot when you throw one of these grenades. Therefor, this weapon is only used once in the run, on the boss in the sewers, where I killed a lot of soldiers with it.
You will also see a lot of other weapon pickups here and there, but you don't have to worry about what those do, since I don't use them in my run.
The tank: On a lot of levels, you can find a tank that you can jump use. The tank is really good for two reasons: First, normal machinegun bullets don't kill you when you're inside the tank. That's why I can ride through hordes of green soldiers when I'm in the tank. And second, The tank has really good attack power, and is therefor great to use on bosses.
When the tank gets hit, it starts beeping and blinking red, and eventually explodes. So after you get hit when you're in the tank, you have a few seconds to act before it blows up.
While on a bridge, you can't fire with the tank, without destroying the bridge itself. That's why I don't shoot down the sandbags on level 2 when I'm in the middle of a bridge, for example.
Hostages: There are hostages here and there in the run. When you rescue one, by walking over them, you get +1000 points. If you kill one, you get -500 points. Points are useless, since you can't see how many points you have, and they don't do anything.
I noticed on level 2, that you need to pick up a certain amount of hostages when inside the tank, otherwise the tank will blow up for no reason. I don't know how exactly this works, but I've only had this problem on level 2.
Here are some general notes that you should answer the rest of you questions.
  • The boxes lying on the ground are mines. These blow up and kill me if I walk on them.
  • On the level 1 boss, I kill the two hostages blocking the door, because it's faster than to pick them up. This makes me hit the boss a few frames earlier.
  • On the level 2 boss, I move inside the boss with my tank, allowing me to fire at him faster. It doesn't matter for me that my tank blows up, I won't have it for the next level anyway.
  • Here's an important note. On the level 3 boss, I intentionally die to save time. By dying right before I move on, the following two minibosses, for some reason, take a lot less hits, allowing me to kill them faster. I saved about 6 seconds on this trick. And also, dying at the place that I died on didn't waste ny time at all, since the screen is stopped while the red soldier blows up.

That's about it, I hope you learned something from these comments. As closure, let me say that this game was fun to TAS, but it was also a real pain. The game crashed for me a few hundred times, making me replay the movie and save state a few frames before it crashed, making it very time-consuming to TAS this game. In any case, this was a fun game to TAS, but seeing how much it crashed for me, I probably won't be doing any new version of this run, not that I know of any improvement to this movie anyway.
Now, I will stop talking and let you watch the movie. Enjoy! :)
Note to publisher: Please note that this game is spelled "Guerrilla War", so you don't spell it wrong when publishing this movie.

adelikat: Big improvement, accepting for publication.

adelikat: Publication Underway.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1331: Randil's NES Guerrilla War in 13:33.13
Skilled player (1885)
I'm really sorry about the text. I'm fixing it right now... EDIT: Allright, it seems to work now... Again, I'm sorry about how comments looked. I don't know what happened, I did as I always have done, and it hasn't been a problem before... Well, at least it works now.
Experienced player (612)
A nice display of carnage for such a repetetive game. It looks pretty optimized and it obseletes a Famtasia run which is always good. I admire your persistence since I heard it crashed pretty frequently as you progressed. With that said, I give it a yes.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
I tried improving the famtasia movie but it was harder than i expected (to record a good movie in current 2p movies standards), so i quit. Congrats.
You blew up the hostages! Poor hostages... Besides the lag and the awful 'turning' animation in the mine cart level, this run was very enjoyable and it looked optimized. Yes vote.
Former player
I watched WIPs of this and I give Yes vote. Good job
Current Projects: ???
Post subject: Re: #1331: Randil's NES Guerrilla War in 13:33
Former player
NesVideoAgent wrote:
Story of the game: To quote the game's intro: "The country is struggling against the cruel domination of the king. Their leader and his comrades attempt to secretly land on the shore. But the king's military is waiting to attack them." So basically, you are some movement's leader, and you mission is to (on your own, of course) kill the king, who is very cruel. Honesly, you could just skip the story, it's not really important when watching this movie. Just remember that the military is the bad guys, and I'm the good guy.
The game is about the Cuban revolution. Player 1 is Che Guevara and player 2 is Fidel Castro. The game's Japanese title is "Guevara". It's also a pretty fun game.
someone is out there who will like you. take off your mask so they can find you faster. I support the new Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun.
Skilled player (1885)
Boco wrote:
The game is about the Cuban revolution. Player 1 is Che Guevara and player 2 is Fidel Castro. The game's Japanese title is "Guevara". It's also a pretty fun game.
Thanks for filling that out, I actually didn't know.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
Wow, you completed this faster than I expected. :O I watched and it looks much improved from the original, good job. Easy yes vote.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Twisted_Eye
He/Him
Active player (332)
Yes, you can see the points by pressing select. Also, I wonder whether this movie would be improvable/more entertaining by doing it in 2-Player Mode or if that would just cause more lag to the point of being slower. However, you did a great job, I enjoyed watching the entire run, though eating a fantastic pizza might've influenced that somehow ;) nah this was well done, you've got my yes
Skilled player (1885)
adelikat wrote:
Wow, you completed this faster than I expected. :O
Yeah, I worked all day on this run before I was was able to submit it, but yeah, it went faster than I thought too.
Twisted Eye wrote:
Yes, you can see the points by pressing select.
Oh, allright, I didn't know that, thanks for the info. :)
Twisted Eye wrote:
Also, I wonder whether this movie would be improvable/more entertaining by doing it in 2-Player Mode or if that would just cause more lag to the point of being slower.
Hmm, I don't know. I don't think it would be much faster, if any faster at all... As I said, and as you've probably seen, this game lags a lot, so there will most likely be a lot of time lost because of this... In any case, I won't be doing any 2P-run, so if someone feels up for it, be my guest. I would be very interested in seeing how that run would look, it would probably be very interesting.
Active player (432)
Voted naturally Yes. Liked your fast boss battles and how you handled lag.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [771] NES Guerrilla War by Randil in 13:33.13
Banned User, Former player
But when do we get a TAS of Flying Ninja Invaders? :(
Perma-banned
Pretty solid improvement.
This signature is much better than its previous version.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
I...really didn't like this movie. Maybe I'd like it more if you could turn the sound effects off, or the massive flicker, or the stupid seizure screen after a boss dies.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)