Post subject: Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1/2
Former player
I'm honestly surprised I haven't seen a topic yet. Anyway, I'm going to be Mostly Useless in regards to 1. But, playing through 2 as much as I've been lately, I can say for sure that Dina(h) should be used as the GB. Why? Weapon Shield as her second spell. Weapon Shield = no durability draining when the weapon is used. In other words, it lets the weapon keep from breaking for longer. And that equals not having to grind for ANYTHING. But, as you won't be forging much, you'll also not be going up in rank. No gain in rank means no upgrading weaponry. No upgrades = weapons having less durability. See where I'm going here? I'm pretty sure swords would be the best way to go. The power of the axes are screwed by the fact that they can only combo twice as opposed to the sword's three. Also less of a hit on your agility. On that note - a pure power run would probably be best. You'll probably be using Quick Move more than once to make up for your lack of agility points. That or just buy some accessories to bridge the gap. Defense shouldn't even be an issue. If it is, there are plenty of healing items you can map to your support list. If I wouldn't drive myself mad attempting it, I'd do 2 myself. But the hellishly long opening sequence - until you truly get your first sword and gain access to your first adventure field - just turns me off from the idea. I'd also recommend 3, since it's probably the shortest and fastest of the three, but I'm sure I'd hear SOMEONE bitching for one reason or another.
I played through the first one myself, which I thought was very fun. But I'm not about to try TASing it. I wouldn't do very well. Well, good luck. ;3
I beat the first one, and am currently playing through the second. I was thinking that a TAS of one of these games would be nice. I hope someone starts one :)
I agree this would make a decent TSA. It would be very frustrating to manipulate the random encounters since the number of steps to the next random encounter is determined after the last battle is over, although the encounter itself can easily be manipulated to allow running away easy (or before?). The exp system allows you to catch up very quickly (not as much as the third one though, see image below), but you will lose your bonus exp if you use the red stone (which can be very significant if you are fighting a boss and your level is low). The drill should also be considered in addition to the sword, since it seems you can out DPS the sword. Fortunately unlike the 3rd one, running away is independent of your level, you can be very low level (with low speed) and still manage to not get hit at all. The TSA might be a tad bit repetitive, since you will probably just end up doing attack, block, attack again, repeat until dead. [URL=http://img399.imageshack.us/my.php?image=summonnightcraftswordmojy7.png][/URL]
Post subject: Summon Night: Swordcraft Story
Hello everyone, I'm a new user on the forums and new to TASing. I've been lurking for years, but I finally decided to give it a go. Anyway, I'm interested in doing a run of Swordcraft Story. So far, I've gotten up to the partner selection. My plan is to mostly follow the route of the segmented run on SDA, by getting Zantek and using Ariel's Drill. The area that will be most improvable over the real time run would be in avoiding random encounters and manipulating Spell Swords for Mystic Ores early in the game. Sadly, I have absolutely no idea how encounters in this game work or how I would be able to manipulate them. If anyone knows how I could go about learning about the game's RNG, or has a suggestion, please let me know.
Okay, I've TASed up to the first Labyrinth entry, and the first encounter seems to be set to trigger at a specific spot, regardless of what I do. During the first encounter, though, is where you can manipulate the next encounter. The next encounter is determined at the end of a battle (by fleeing or by victory), seemingly based on the end frame. Waiting no frames and fleeing, 5/10 frames and fleeing, using a hammer and fleeing, and jumping and fleeing all result in another random encounter at a different number of steps away. Also, moving diagonally advances the step counter faster than moving in the cardinal directions. This could be used if only a small number of steps is needed to get out of a dungeon, but you need to slow the step counter to avoid an encounter. So, basically, I'm going to have to have a way to determine the ideal frame to leave a battle. Trial and error will be too painful a task to get this done. I've read up on luck manipulation in RPG's but it's a bit too far beyond my knowledge to figure out on my own. Any help is appreciated. EDIT: At the start of the first battle I am ~25 seconds ahead of the SDA run. Around 8-10 seconds of this are due to the runner getting a Matchbox by answering Sanary's question; I plan to manipulate the Matchbox in an encounter with a Slime + Pumpkeeno in B2F (along with a Bottomless Cup) to get a level up before a Mystic Sword and create a Novice Drill.
If you would like to invite discussion, you may want to upload a movie file of your current progress.
That's probably a good idea. I uploaded my WIP to the TASvideos userfiles, is it alright to post a link to that or should I try to link it another way? As for the video itself, it's about 7 minutes long leading up to the first Labyrinth entry. If anyone has any tips on figuring out the game's RNG, I'd love to hear it.
Post subject: Summon Night: Swordcraft Story
Active player (255)
http://www.nicovideo.jp/mylist/54151776 Could be an interesting project, if someone wants to pick it up.
There's an existing thread, but it's over 10 years old, so a new one is called for http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4621 Judging by the thumbnails (haven't watched the test runs yet) all the attempts seem to use Sugar. That's interesting because the RTA run's notes (which in general has some advice relevant to TASing the game) say the best companion for a speed run would be Zantek or Kutty because of boss resistances. No idea if the assumptions change in a TAS.
Active player (255)
The same author has now apparently begun work on a TAS of the sequel (same link).
Info dumping with a lua script and .wch for Summon Night Swordcraft Story 2 (U) ROM. Lua script: (tried to inline code tags but BBCODE did not like it at all..) https://pastebin.com/tD6vT8XT WCH file contents:
SystemID GBA
00E9E0	w	1	0	EWRAM	Non Combat XPos 1
00E9E4	w	1	0	EWRAM	Non Combat XPos 2 (used as destination)
00E9E2	w	1	0	EWRAM	Non Combat YPos 1
00E9E6	w	1	0	EWRAM	Non Combat YPos 2 (used as destination)
00EA0C	w	u	0	EWRAM	Non Combat some XPos component
00EA24	w	u	0	EWRAM	Non Combat some XPos component
0200FDF0	w	1	0	System Bus	Encounter Timer.
0200FD60	w	1	0	System Bus	Prev Non Combat Other XPos 1
0200FD62	w	1	0	System Bus	Prev Non Combat Other YPos 2
030065DC	b	h	0	System Bus	if this == 0x03, we are in combat
03003050	b	u	0	System Bus	
0030005A	w	u	0	System Bus	
0300060C	d	u	0	System Bus	Current Health (player)
03000618	d	u	0	System Bus	Previous Health (player)
03007C5C	w	1	0	System Bus	
030074D2	w	1	0	System Bus	
0300743C	b	h	0	System Bus	Some state tracking bit
0300058C	d	3	0	System Bus	Player X (in combat)
03000594	d	3	0	System Bus	Prev Player X (in combat)
03000590	d	3	0	System Bus	Player Y (in combat)
03000598	d	3	0	System Bus	Prev Player Y (in combat)
03000564	d	h	0	System Bus	Character State flags (in combat)
08B8	d	3	0	IWRAM	Enemy 1 Position X
0938	d	u	0	IWRAM	Enemy 1 HP
0BE4	d	3	0	IWRAM	Enemy 2 Position X
040728	b	u	0	Combined WRAM	
0300001E	w	h	0	System Bus	Part of RNG
0300000F	b	u	0	System Bus	Part of Crit RNG?
03000004	d	h	0	System Bus	Part of RNG (in combat?) i think this starts counting 130 frames after we encounter an enemy.
02000028	d	h	0	System Bus	Part of RNG
02001524	d	u	0	System Bus	Money
7C5F	b	u	0	IWRAM	
0200FD60	w	1	0	System Bus	
0200FD62	w	1	0	System Bus	
02001528	w	h	0	System Bus	
030067F6	w	u	0	System Bus	Number of enemies in combat
03000008	b	u	0	System Bus	Also number of enemies in combat
0F10	d	3	0	IWRAM	Enemy 3 Position X
0F90	d	u	0	IWRAM	Enemy 3 Current HP