Submission Text Full Submission Page
Finally, a TAS of the original Mega Man Zero!
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Cancels missions (dies?) to save time
  • "Warp" run (cancels missions)
  • Glitch Abuse
Note on the ROM: GoodGBA says I have a bad dump, but this has apparently not been a problem in the past and hopefully it won't be a problem here.
To explain the "warp" concept (which might be new for a Mega Man game), Mega Man Zero (MMZ) is mission-based. If you fail one specific mission (where the army is building up in the desert) you will trigger the base invasion that marks the start of the final four stages. Cancelling a mission counts as failing, thus by cancelling only two missions (the Shuttle mission to unluck the other desert missions, the Army Massing mission) you can go straight to the final stages and skip all the other stages.
The warp run does provide some challenges a non-warp run wouldn't face, namely in weapon leveling. Because the run is so short, it is borderline impractical to even try leveling the Z-Sabre to acquire the "charge" skill since each Z-Sabre strike causes four frames of lag (translating into possibly half a minute of extra lag.) Instead, the buster is primarily focused on with the intention of making up for the lack of a charging Z-Sabre by simply using the Z-Buster.

Notes on glitches abused in this run:
  • The famously broken standing-slash glitch
    • Like most of the later Mega Man games, bosses have an invincibility period where they're flashing white. If standing still and slashing with the Z-Sabre, the attack will cause the boss to have an incredibly short invincibility period. This is caused by the "triple slash" ; basically, the first hit only causes a short flashing period so that you can hit him with the second slash, even if you don't have it yet. Naturally, this means the second slash also has the same effect
  • Exit room on the same frame a scripted sequence starts (during base invasion)
    • This gives me a small boost in time, although the sequence still happens.

Some non-glitch tricks:
  • L+R+A+B+Select+Start
    • Completely resets the game, instantly bringing you to the starting screen. Nitsuja pointed this out to us because it shortens the start time.
  • Standing on dangerous platforms
    • Just a little fun, standing on Anubis Necromancess's pillars or on Final X's spears.
  • Rain boost
    • Since the second "rain maker" in Aztec Falcon's stage pushes you in the direction you want to go, not destroying it allows you to get to him really fast.

Some notes on boss luck manipulation:
Manipulating luck for boss fights is really hard. The only way I've found to really change what the boss is going to do next is to manipulate how far from them you are and possibly also what direction you're facing.

Other notes:
Golem Battle
The Golem battle has a total of four ways to trigger the Z-Sabre sequence:
  • Enough time passes
  • Enough damage is dealt to the golem
  • Enough damage is dealt to Zero
  • Zero gets hit and wouldn't be able to survive another hit
naturally, this run uses the fourth one.
Leviathan text
The Leviathan rematch arena contains a problematic setup. Basically, if you skip the text as usual, Leviathan launches her first attack higher than you can standing-slash her, but only by a little bit. So, by delaying the text, I purposely set her up in order to slash away. The only options were:
  • Wait approximately 400-500 frames for her to come down low enough
  • Wait approximately... how many frames I did for her to be high enough so I could get off of the platform and force her lower that way.
First X Battle
There is one pause during the "juggling" in the corner ; this is because X doesn't like being juggled and he does an air attack... unless he can land on the ground (although he can immediately be juggled back into the air.) He only has enough health for two of these opportunities, apparently. The second one I used to get Zero into the center of the room (which is good because dashing is much faster than walking.)
Going past credits
If you don't save after the credits you can't start a hard mode game. I kind of wanted to leave that option open in this run, although if that is really problematic I can just end it at 66630 instead which would drop the time from 22:16.5 to 18:30.5
Anyways, enjoy!

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1340: Gigafrost's GBA Mega Man Zero in 22:16.50
Active player (308)
Obvious Yes, and obvious star (I hope).
"Genuine self-esteem, however, consists not of causeless feelings, but of certain knowledge about yourself. It rests on the conviction that you — by your choices, effort and actions — have made yourself into the kind of person able to deal with reality. It is the conviction — based on the evidence of your own volitional functioning — that you are fundamentally able to succeed in life and, therefore, are deserving of that success." - Onkar Ghate
Bisqwit wrote:
Drama, too long, didn't read, lol.
Former player
Yes vote. After not having played this game for over a year now, I finally realise how far the series has come.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Former player
Awesometastic/10. Yes.
Working on: Command and Conquer PSX Nod Campaign
Active player (432)
Holy smokes you almost went off screen in the first stage! You totally owned the game, and I really enjoyed how kickassishly you killed the bosses. Feels good to vote yes on this fine run. Marvellous work!
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Extremely fine run. The tower climbing sequence was nice and fast in the upper parts, thumbs up for that. Anyway, clear yes.
"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." ( Pratchett & Gaiman: Good Omens )
Former player
That's God's work indeed !!! This illustrates why the game's called MEGAMAN !! This run is really fantastic... I also love how you owned each of the bosses... A YES vote of course...
Not dead yet... still very busy... damn...
Senior Moderator
Tombad wrote:
Extremely fine run. The tower climbing sequence was nice and fast in the upper parts, thumbs up for that. Anyway, clear yes.
What Tombad said. Overall, very nice work on Neo Arcadia.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Outstanding execution, the way you ran through levels is superb, but i have some critique on your boss fights. May i ask if you've seen my bossrush video for Zero1? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naoBhoyxKQI) Some of my boss fights are quicker and "use" the best boss attack to have the boss have the least amount of resistance. (like jumping around) * First, my Shiva (1st Neo Arcadia boss, with the 4 arms) fight is much quicker cuz she doesn't jump around. I'm sure you could've manipulated her into have the starting attack from my video as the starting attack in your run? * My Herculius Anchortus feels also a tad quicker. * Then there's Maha Ganeshariff. Did you know you can shoot him in the head when he's moving his arms swiftly? (like E. Honda from Street Fighter) You just wait until his attack is over. Also, he used his roll attack various times, did you try to let Maha just go walking and/or using his E-Honda attack? * Did you know you can hit Copy X while he's doing his ring-holders attack? See my video. You can also hit him at the start of the fight but i tried and you can't reach him without a charged saber attack. The rest of your boss battles look good though, i loved the way Copy X (1st form) was juggled up against the wall :D I'm holding my vote until i get a reply.
http://www.megazpeed.com - THE site for the ultimate MegaMan Zero superplay movies.
Former player
No, I had not seen that video. Pretty cool. :) Maha Ganeshariff - When constructing the run I attempted to shoot him in the head while he was doing the E. Honda attack but was unable to. I can load that part and try some more. Naturally, since I couldn't find a way through his attack, I purposely manipulated him into doing anything but that attack when I could. (Although maybe I could grab some health for that battle? Requires some more experimentation.) Shiva - I'm not sure if I can manipulate him into doing that attack (I noted having trouble performing proper luck manipulation against bosses) but making him jump isn't too bad since that causes the boss fight to end much farther to the right. I can take another shot at luck manipulating for this. Herculius Anchortus - Looks like yours is a bit faster, but it looks like a lot of that is better luck (explicitly, you didn't have to manipulate it.) It's possibly offset by this run ending closer to the exit, though. I'm holding my ultimate response until I have a chance to play around a bit more. :) Edit: Missed Copy X Ring Holder attack No, I couldn't. I explicitly tried. Looking in your video, I see you: -Hit him just before he closes up -Attack with the second charged attack, but the first half of the attack doesn't hit him at all. Instead, there's a small delay since he is really vulnerable the frame just after launching the final ring. (That was what my testing revealed and what I saw in your video.) Which can give the impression of being able to, but I don't really see it.
Gigafrost wrote:
Maha Ganeshariff
Yeha it's possbiel. It might not have reached him cuz you probably tried to do a charged shot. Maybe it was too big and got blocked. Instead, jump as high as you can and use a normal buster shot, that will knock him out of te E. Honda attack
Gigafrost wrote:
Shiva - but making him jump isn't too bad since that causes the boss fight to end much farther to the right.
You're right, i forgot that. This way, your version might even be faster for you.
Gigafrost wrote:
Attack with the second charged attack, but the first half of the attack doesn't hit him at all. Instead, there's a small delay since he is really vulnerable the frame just after launching the final ring.
You're right, i hit him before he close up. But yeah i tested it out too and you can't reach him with a normal attack. No biggie :) Nice observation about the fact that i hit him after the final ring was launched btw. Your replies give me a better feeling about this run. I'd vote yes, but i'm still interested in testing results on Maha Ganesharrif. Still think it can be done faster. *tries himself*
http://www.megazpeed.com - THE site for the ultimate MegaMan Zero superplay movies.
Former player
I wouldn't be surprised if Maha Ganesharrif can be done faster. It's the sloppiest looking fight there. (Although, entertainingly enough, if it really is "good enough" then his gloating before the battle has some validity to it, hehehe.)
et voila Apart from him trying to swing his ass this is "continuous". My main experience was to stay close at all times. If you're away too far, he'll do his roll attack.
Former player
It was very well executed, but this game was probably the most unentertaining Mega Man I have watched. Too much dialog, too many bosses and it surprised me when it ended so suddenly. But it was short and didn't bore me, so I will give it a Yes.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Dear Graphics Designers: Zero used to be so awesome. What the hell happened? He had the hair, the sword, the sweet intro music! Now he's a little anime robot that has more dotdotdot than backward walking Link? I hope your next game consists of Jax from Mortal Kombat punching Zero and that annoying little skank until they explode, and then saying something cool, causing all of you to realize how gay this style of graphics is. Sincerely, JXQ I haven't watched much of the run, there's too much conversation going on - a common problem with newer games and their "plot". So I'm not going to vote.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Former player
JXQ wrote:
I hope your next game consists of Jax from Mortal Kombat punching Zero and that annoying little skank until they explode, and then saying something cool, causing all of you to realize how gay this style of graphics is.
If they hadn't made Zero look so anorexic and girly, it would have been fine. The hair does seem a bit out of place, though. SPOLILERS: Zero dies in MMZ4, just as X "died" a decade before MMZ1. Also, Ciel doesn't die, save for on the inside ;_;
JXQ wrote:
Zero used to be so awesome. What the hell happened? He had the hair, the sword, ..... causing all of you to realize how gay this style of graphics is.
Actually, imo, apart from Zero, i like the artistic style better over the X series.
Active player (308)
JXQ wrote:
Zero used to be so awesome.
What??? upgrade your glasses, fella and
"Genuine self-esteem, however, consists not of causeless feelings, but of certain knowledge about yourself. It rests on the conviction that you — by your choices, effort and actions — have made yourself into the kind of person able to deal with reality. It is the conviction — based on the evidence of your own volitional functioning — that you are fundamentally able to succeed in life and, therefore, are deserving of that success." - Onkar Ghate
Bisqwit wrote:
Former player
pirate_sephiroth wrote:
What??? upgrade your glasses, fella
You don't see the androgyny? Zero was presented to us as a bigger brother to X in X1: the kind of man a guy like X would look up to. His demeanor illustrated that with large feet, prominent shoulders, and a very firm face. His hair never really flowed, so much as it just stuck out and was there to give him some rebel look. In the Zero series, he is given a very femenine physique, and it seems (to me anyways) that his hips and chest are accentuated. All of his burly assets were removed, and his face became very very soft. His hair even flows, a lot, drawing a lot of attention away from "I'm a man with long hair, deal with it" to the "I'm a man who seems to condition and brush my hair in between battles." Granted, I'm basing this all on the artwork. I honestly think that the artwork of the Zero series does not look a damn thing like the sprite of Zero, save for the helmet construction. His sprite looks like the old zero, but more ninja-y. None of this extreme attention to the fact that he is wearing form fitting spandex under what little armor he has, or any expressions aside from the cold gaze of the Zero we know and love.
Active player (308)
hmm... maybe that's because I didn't like the old Zero... he was just a red meggerman, but taller and wielding a cliche light-saber sword.
Bisqwit wrote:
Former player
If by red Megaman you mean red robot, then yes, I would agree. The similarities stop fairly quickly when you compare them correctly. Play X3 and switch between them. You'll see enough of a difference to know that he isn't "just a red version."
Active player (277)
Zurreco wrote:
If they hadn't made Zero look so anorexic and girly, it would have been fine. The hair does seem a bit out of place, though.
Well, see, I think the current art style is supposed to give every character the body of a female supermodel, regardless of gender.
Zurreco wrote:
If by red Megaman you mean red robot, then yes, I would agree. The similarities stop fairly quickly when you compare them correctly. Play X3 and switch between them. You'll see enough of a difference to know that he isn't "just a red version."
Well yeah, he also has those spiky things on the back of his head! He wouldn't be Zero without those cool spiky things!
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Very nice movie. Pretty cool that you trigger the ending that quickly and beat the game with low-level weapons. I didn't find the plot elements to be incredibly overbearing... it was a lot lighter than the runs of the other MMZ games already published. None of those stupid talking elf babies. Despite relative simplicity this might be one of the better runs among them if only for that reason.
Former player
The current style is to androgynize characters so that everyone can relate. The problem with this is that it also limits what the character can do (versus what they should do) so that they can keep an androgynous visage throughout the whole shebang. Then again, I can't really think of any masculine male characters in the games. Even Fefnir is kinda girly in his questionable jealousy towards Zero. Harpuia, Elpizo, CopyX, Zero, etc all seem to be very effeminate. The only characters who are outright masculine are Weil and Craft, though both of which are supposed to play stubborn antagonists to a certain extent. What does that say about gender roles?
Former player
Simon Belmont is the most manly man ever in VG's. He has a leather skirt pretty much, and a Kinky Vampire Killer Whip, yet he still is at the Top Tier in Man Land.
Working on: Command and Conquer PSX Nod Campaign