Submission Text Full Submission Page
It's Widget, and he's here to rid the universe of pollution and animal abuse once and for all!
  • Used FCEU 98.15
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Abuses programming errors
  • Takes damage to save time
In addition to having a smile you'll just be dying to wipe off his face, Widget walks at a speed which is even more obnoxious. He's effing slow! Thankfully, he's armed with a handful of glitches he can use to zip across the screen, pass through walls, stand on invisible platforms, grab items nowhere near him, and exit levels prematurely. Also, after the first boss is defeated, he gets the power to change into a mouse and scurry through levels at blazing speeds.
This game is a Mega Man ripoff, and it almost has just as many bugs. It consists of five worlds which can be visited in any order, each of which will give you another animal transformation upon beating which are (normally) needed to bypass obstacles in other levels. Here, I make do with only one transformation: the mouse.
The thing that got me interested in running this game was the very unique L+R glitch. When L+R is pressed, Widget's hitbox gets teleported to somewhere else in the level and skewed, allowing you to apply clipping data to yourself which is nowhere near you. There are some places where this is not possible to do, due to your hitbox being warped onto something which damages you, and the game crashing upon trying to perform an invalid hurt sequence.
Zipping is performed by alternating L and L+R every other frame, and it can be used to quickly move to the right without scrolling the screen. Therefore, it only comes in handy under very specific circumstances such as the very beginning and ending of levels, 1-screen rooms, and bosses.
Special thanks to:
BoltR: Discovering L+R
theenglishman: Discovering zipping, posting the run which got me interested in the game and which I used for reference
Zero7: Finding a hidden gun upgrade in the second room
Hope you enjoy.
P.S.: theenglishman, you're more than welcome to try and beat me. :)
Edit: Canceling submission, submitting an improved version.

adelikat: Accepting for publication.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1358: CtrlAltDestroy's NES Widget in 06:39.22
Former player
Lol... so this has become your submission? Will take a look at it EDIT: It may be a 4 minute improvement, but I just don't feel wow-ed by the run. I guess it's the game, not the run... Btw, at around 15500, you change into the mouse for a short while. Wouldn't it be faster staying in your normal form for that area, rather than going through 2 morphing sequences and a menu screen?
Truncated wrote:
Truncated is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man. -- xoinx
Former player
Interesting enough. As interesting as some of the other NES runs. Yes vote.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Wow, I had no idea it was this improvable. The run held my interest, so I'll vote yes. But that main character is creepy looking!
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Former player
Atleast a year back when I first looked at this game I decided that it was too slow/bad to be entertaining even with the L+R being as glitchy as it is. Although you actually managed to make it interesting enough to watch, in a Mega Man glitch type of way. However, I am glad it wasn't any longer.
Active player (324)
xoinx wrote:
Lol... so this has become your submission? Will take a look at it EDIT: It may be a 4 minute improvement, but I just don't feel wow-ed by the run. I guess it's the game, not the run... Btw, at around 15500, you change into the mouse for a short while. Wouldn't it be faster staying in your normal form for that area, rather than going through 2 morphing sequences and a menu screen?
You mean the part at the treetops? I tested that, and it's a little bit faster. Biped Widget has to take the long way around to the left first, has to take some damage on the way, can't make the final jump, can't zip there because of the enemy placement, and in killing some of the enemies is confronted with a nasty snake on the final platform.
Former player
CtrlAltDestroy wrote:
xoinx wrote:
You mean the part at the treetops? I tested that, and it's a little bit faster. Biped Widget has to take the long way around to the left first, has to take some damage on the way, can't make the final jump, can't zip there because of the enemy placement, and in killing some of the enemies is confronted with a nasty snake on the final platform.
Other than that, I couldn't find anything big to complain about. I guess I would have to give it a weak YES
Truncated wrote:
Truncated is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man. -- xoinx
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Man, this game sucked. But you did a good job totally confusing me. This game is more broken than Rockman. Yes vote.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Player (104)
For a run that was suppose to be boring I see a lot of yes votes. I added one, I was actually quite impressed with this. Maybe some small stuff here and there, but I've never played the game so I'm just judging as a spectater. I like the music...the graphics are pretty nice. It's an enjoyable sit down game if you ask me. Vote yes. :P
Soft Blue Dragon
Great Jorb, looks 5-10 times better than the previous run.
Senior Moderator
Another weak yes. One more minute would probably be pushing it.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
This is probally my most borderline yes I ever made, had this game been 1-2 mins longer I probally would have voted no out of boredom, but its pretty obvious what was unintended in the game, the glitches were just enough to sway it for me. Generally the game was at walking pace, and even although the transformations were probally slower it was probally the best thing to do from a viewers point of view.
Former player
I enjoyed this one. The last version was seemed kinda sloppy but this looked well optimized and planned. Yes vote. Now I hope that theenglishman will put his act together and we'll see even more improved version.
Even though the game sucked (yes, I'm looking at you Boring Backround Music that Repeats Way Too Often) and game wasn't that interesting, mostly due to poor design decisions, it is still a quite solid run through the horror. It has glitches, and best of all it's short. I didn't spot any glaring errors, so a yes vote it will be.
"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." ( Pratchett & Gaiman: Good Omens )
Haha, that was quite amusing. The game even breaks like Rockman, although in different ways. Definite yes votage.
Haha, I didn't think you would break the game that bad CAD. I would vote yes if I could, that was entertaining to watch.
Attempting:Snoopy - Magic Show (GB)
This is one ugly looking game. Yes vote anyways since it's short.
Active player (440)
DAMN YOU CAD! YOU BEAT ME TO IT! (voted yes btw) *gets to work on improving it*
My current project: Something mysterious (oooooh!) My username is all lower-case letters. Please get it right :(
Joe
A very strange game, but I really liked those glitches, which definitely improved the run. Yes Vote
Active player (440)
Why hasn't this been published yet?!?!
My current project: Something mysterious (oooooh!) My username is all lower-case letters. Please get it right :(
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Cuz it's only been one day?!?!
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Active player (324)
First, it has to get accepted, then it has to wait in the queue for several months, then it will get published. Be patient. Of course, if you manage to beat my time before then, it'll wind up canceled.
Former player
theenglishman wrote:
Why hasn't this been published yet?!?!
The submission isn't even 2 days old, and it doesn't have a whole lot of votes. Chill.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Former player
That... was one of the strangest games I ever watched. But It was pretty entertaining, so I'll vote yes.
Active player (432)
Not entirely really sure what to say about this game but in my opinion, it isnt the best game to TAS. You did good, but the game really lowers the entertainment level. Voting meh.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P