Submission Text Full Submission Page
This is a TAS of the colorized version of Wario Land II(2) for the Game Boy/Color. It aims for fastest time and completes the game in only six levels, one of which requires no input.
Emulator used: VisualBoyAdvance 1.7.2 Rerecording v17.1
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Programming errors abused for entertainment purposes
  • Takes no damage
Wario Land II is the second game in the Wario Land series, although it's the first in without the "Mario Land" title attached. In it, you control Wario, who can get attacked by enemies to get powers by changing form - for example, you turn into a fireball when attacked by a fire enemy. Gameplay is fairly lighthearted, as Wario cannot die.
This run was fairly fun to make. A couple notes:
  • I take the shortest path through the game, playing only 6 levels.
  • In the first level, to go onto the short 6-level route, you have to not wake Wario up.
  • Sometimes, it looks as though I'm attacking, but staying in place. This is the result of a glitch; it has little benefit but looks pretty cool.
  • The delay at the group of two spiky enemies where I use the aforementioned glitch is because an attempt to move through them while they attack would result in Wario being knocked back.
  • I kill the final boss in less time than normal because I get two hits in the first time it attacks.
This is a short and simple run; enjoy!

Truncated: Fixed the formatting, it was screwing up the forum.

Truncated: This movie does not seem bad, but I think the game is not very suitable for TASing. The waiting in the beginning is the most obvious thing, but most of the game seems too straightforward. Very few possibilities to do something interesting, or something faster than just running forward.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1359: LSK's GBC Wario Land II in 09:25.70
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
Already I thought you only started doing this last night.
LSK
AKA wrote:
Already I thought you only started doing this last night.
Honesty, it wasn't a long game to run. There aren't any complex enemy manipulations, and two levels (the first and the fourth) are very short.
Player (101)
Waugh... this is a surprise! Will watch soon!
http://girlyyy.com/ The El Viento TAS is the only decent thing I submitted here.
Former player
This is about 34 seconds faster than a test run I made of this route a while ago, which is about what I figured it could be improved by. Good job. Yes vote.
I seem to be having a problem with the rom...it is stalling VBA...what version of VBA/rom and what Gameboy settings are you using.
I always thought that you could only take the six level path after beating the game, since I never remember being auto-booted out of the first level by letting Wario sleep until "level complete" unless I was actually choosing that level.
Player (70)
yes. i played the hell out of this game back in the day. i hope someone aso does a 100% run, that's be great. this is one of my favorite game boy games and you did a great job with it.
Former player
Naw Wolf, you can get that path the first time you start the game. Same with all the 'branches' along the way, it's just that when you play the game normally the chance of coming across one without searching for it is slim. As for a 100% run, I'd love to see that too, despite how long it would be. You would need to route each level differently to take into account the treasure, and you'd need to be grabbing coins all the time. If you ever figure out a way to manipulate the drop of a glowing coin that's worth 100 then that would make it a lot easier. Back when I was trying to work on a 100% run I got stuck there, since I could not force those coins to drop. You would also finish the game five or six times as well in a 100% run, so watching the ending credits over and over would get annoying.
brillient run - I have played this before and never realised the game had multiple endings... I thought there was a mistake in the file when Wario didn't wake up at first. Voting yes.
Former player
Assuming that this is the exact same movie file as before, I'm going to revote Meh on a very boring movie.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Former player
I also have to vote meh. It's not your fault, this game just is pretty boring. (Although I could say it's your fault for picking a boring game. Ooooh!)
Working on: Command and Conquer PSX Nod Campaign
Player (101)
Eeehhh.. I'm one of the biggest Wario fans evar, but even I wouldn't sit through a 100% run of II. While this game is much better than SML3, its level design still isn't nearly as well-designed and varied as WL3 and WL4, so it'd be a bit repetitive. Also, seeing the same two bonus games played 50 times would not be fun =| The shortest playthrough will do fine though, and I'm yes voting it.
http://girlyyy.com/ The El Viento TAS is the only decent thing I submitted here.
The bonus game for the map pieces isn't so bad once you beaten it once, since it changes from 50 coins per tile to 1 coin per [time unit]. So for a 100% run, after finishing the game once, you'd only need to collect enough coins for the hard treasure box. Also, does this game have a soft reset? You oculd probably use that to skip credit sequences if you so desired.
I like my "thank you"s in monetary form.
Joe
A somewhat weak yes. Watching Wario sleep through that first level was kind of boring, but its interesting that he has to be thrown out of the house in order to get through the shortest branch. The rest of the level was well optimized and thankfully short. It was pretty good, even though the game is a bit slow
KennyMan666
He/Him
NrgSpoon wrote:
The bonus game for the map pieces isn't so bad once you beaten it once, since it changes from 50 coins per tile to 1 coin per [time unit]. So for a 100% run, after finishing the game once, you'd only need to collect enough coins for the hard treasure box.
Actually, in a TAS, you don't need to turn any tile at all. Just find the correct number by saving & loading and pick it immediately.
Det man inte har i begåvning får man ta ut i energi. "I think I need to get to Snoop Dogg's level of high to be able to research this post." -Samsara Read my fanfic, One Piece: Pure Corruption
LSK
KennyMan666 wrote:
NrgSpoon wrote:
The bonus game for the map pieces isn't so bad once you beaten it once, since it changes from 50 coins per tile to 1 coin per [time unit]. So for a 100% run, after finishing the game once, you'd only need to collect enough coins for the hard treasure box.
Actually, in a TAS, you don't need to turn any tile at all. Just find the correct number by saving & loading and pick it immediately.
You need to pay 50 coins to even play the game. But 100% would take at least 3 hours, due to all the cutscenes and unskippable parts.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3583)
I would say about %30 of this game lends it self to TASing, the other %70 well... As someone who hasn't played the game, I was bored. Also, I didn't say anything particular complex about the game. It seems that making a TAS of it is very straightfoward. Sorry, I must vote no.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects