Former player
I cannot possibly be the only one who used to play this. I also cannot possibly be the only one who thought it was 100% impossible to get ANYWHERE in. I swear, I don't think I ever beat a single level in that game. I remember dying for no apparent reason whatsoever...and the hit detection sucking poisonous gas. Anyone suicidal enough to take a crack at it? >>;
Post subject: Re: Athena
BombAHead wrote:
I cannot possibly be the only one who used to play this. I also cannot possibly be the only one who thought it was 100% impossible to get ANYWHERE in. I swear, I don't think I ever beat a single level in that game. I remember dying for no apparent reason whatsoever...and the hit detection sucking poisonous gas. Anyone suicidal enough to take a crack at it? >>;
It's not too bad when you stop to pick the mushrooms ;) You might crouch down and start hallucinating that you have all the best items in the game, right near the very beginning of level 1 ;) Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
WARNING: May contain unsuitable content and definitely has links to unsuitable content, but it's funny and relevant. http://seanbaby.com/nes/w20-20.htm
Holy crap! I used to play this crazy game. One of my proudest accomplishments of my young video game career was getting to level 3 (water!) and promptly dying. I could beat the tree on level 1 fairly regularly though. I'd love to see a timeattack of this game.
most of the levels had warp zones which might add to the interest/speed if you picked up a certain item and brought it to a secret room ,you'd warp to the next level. a good way to avoid the very difficult bosses
Former player
Bumping this one again. Does anyone happen to know what the story of this game is? Trying it out 5 minutes didn't help much. I got different weapons and smacked some horsie guys and then I died. Checking gamefaqs didn't help much either I'm afraid. The walkthrough I found there said the story was something like "Athena is bored so she gets out to find something to do". There must be more to it? I'm very grateful for any help of this sort of none-TAS related question. Thank you.
/Walker Boh
Former player
I believe it's something like "Athena is bored with the life of a God, and now she's out to look for some adventure!" or something like that. That's what I read in a guide anyway.
Former player
That's probably the same guide I read, anyone else knows anything else about this game?
/Walker Boh
Active player (422)
Walker Boh wrote:
story
You shall henceforth use that world lightly when describing this game. http://www.atarihq.com/tsr/manuals/athena.txt
I am ATHENA. They call me the Goddess of Wisdom, but I have grown weary of my dull life in the castle. The Fantasy World beyond the castle walls beckons to me! Strange and fearsome creatures will attack me at every turn. But I will find weapons along the way: a ball and chain, a bow and arrow, or a mighty sword will be my defense! In the Fantasy World, I can put on wings and take to the sky, or become a mermaid to explore the ocean depths. There, the Goddess of Wisdom can become the Princess of Victory!
Former player
Boy, that storyline almost feels as shallow as the Barbie games.
Banned User, Former player
I prefer the story of Escape from Atlantis, myself. (That whole FAQ is a hoot, too, by the way. I recommend reading it even if you have no intention to ever play the game... not that it matters, since it was never released except as a prototype)
Perma-banned
Dwedit
He/Him
LOL Micronics Those talentless asshats couldn't program a game decently under any circumstances. And I mean any circumstances. Use your imagination to think of any possible circumstances which could possibly motivate the development team to produce something of quality. And the answer is still No quality under any circumstances! Of course, they still lose the Worst Developer award to Active Enterprises, Color Dreams, Sachen, and several pirate companies. Geez, nobody's that bad, not even Micronics.
Former player
Thanks Rick and Inzult for the... text describing what Athena is about to do :) Very much appreciated.
/Walker Boh
Player (206)
NES version was the worst though arcade version was quite good. There are a lot of games which her descendant appears, but I think this Athena has been forgotten... When this game was put on the market in Japan, the cassette tape which the theme song was recorded was attached. The person who sang the song married Kazuhiro Sasaki who was a baseball player of the Seattle Mariners. However, they got divorced several years ago:(
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Found this on YouTube. Link to video I actually got a little interested in this game but that's when I realized you can only put your input on every odd/even frame. That wasn't a problem.... the problem was the jumping... I don't get it.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Brossentia has a run up on SDA as well, and both him and I know a bit more about this game than any person ever should... Either way, I think Bro found a way to do the block breaking for the Golden Harp faster (he found a Fire Sword shortly before it, which means a route change to ensure you can have the Red Sword for this area). As for the jumping, here's how it works: Your first jump will always be low height. Your second and third jumps will always be high. If you wait long enough after doing any jump you will revert back to the low jump. I don't know how long the timer is for this though.
That TAS is a pretty good starting point for what you're doing. The biggest difference I'd suggest, however, is getting a red sword in World of Hell. When you get to World of Labyrinth, you'll be able to pick up the fire sword right before the painful block-breaking section. If you see the claw at 10:53, that's the fire sword if you have the red sword. Some things that you may wish to consider, though, is that each swing will lower your health by one bar. There are health upgrades throughout the game that might make this overall faster, allowing you one extra swing that destroys 6 or so blocks. Having the health upgrade might actually make the fire sword usable against the final boss (though I'm really not sure if it would make a difference in damage).