Mortal Kombat 4 TAS by Xyphys

Emulator used: mupen64-rerecording-v8
  • Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6
  • N-Rage`s Direct-Input8 1.60 (Controller 1 only, Raw Data unchecked, no MemPak or RumblePak)
  • Jabo's DirectSound 1.6
  • RSP emulation Plugin
  • Aims for entertainment and fastest time
  • Takes no damage
  • Plays at hardest level

Movie details

At the beginning of the movie, you see me going to the practice menu and you might be wondering for what good reason I am doing this as it just wastes time. Well, this is for entertainment purposes as it allows me later on to perform the two Stage Fatalities, which would otherwise not be possible. After that, I set the difficulty level to Ultimate, select Shinnok as the fighter and Master II as the destiny. Then begins the first fight...

Fight 1 (Raiden)

I morph into Scorpion and perform a 12 hit combo (registered as 11) which deals 55% damage. Then another 8 hit combo which deals 43%. I finish this round by throwing the weapon, which I conveniently got as a result of the last combo.
Second round with Sub-Zero. A 12 and 8 hit combo remove most of Raiden's energy. Then a 4 hit air-weapon combo finishes this round, after which Raiden is killed by Shinnok's first fatality.

Fight 2 (Sonya)

Fujin starts off by taking his crossbow and shooting a few times. He decides that it isn't fun to shoot from a distance and thus flings the crossbow right into Sonya's face. This round is finished by showing off some of Fujin's moves.
Next comes Raiden. Nothing special here, except for some nice camera work.

Fight 3 (Liu Kang)

This fight is handled by Kai and Jarek. Just showing all the special moves of the two. Liu Kang is killed by the stage fatality.

Fight 4 (Reiko)

Liu Kang is raised from the dead only to take out Reiko. He does so together with Sonya. I must mention here that Reiko is a very hard oppenent as he sometimes performs a move at the start of the battle, even before you can block or jump away, which is completely unavoidable.

Fight 5 (Kai)

Kai is taken care off by Tanya and Jax. Tanya shows that the big rocks at ground can be thrown and cause a lot of damage. This stage allows the second stage fatality, however something unexpected happens which you should see for yourself.

Fight 6 (Jarek)

Quan Chi begins this fight and as usual shows his arsenal of moves, including stealing Jarek's Black Dragon Sword. In the second round, you can see the work of Reptile. But only his work because he self turns invisible.

Fight 7 (Cage)

Now it is time for Reiko to show how good he really is in the hands of a master (ahem). The second round is reserved for the only character that is not played yet and that is Johnny Cage himself. Cage is killed by Shonnok's second fatality.

Fight 8 (Goro)

Scorpion, Fujin, Reiko and Sub-Zero join forces to kill this beast. Since Goro resists any damage done to him, there is much room for combos. This results in the best part of this movie: the final combo with Reiko. I am not going to spoil anything. You should definitely watch this movie, if only it was for this part.

Fight 9 (Shinnok)

Shinnok is killed rather quick using Tanya and Sonya. Nothing new here.

adelikat: Accepting for Publication.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1387: Xyphys's N64 Mortal Kombat 4 in 09:13.72
Former player
which rom did he use? I have (U)[!].z64 and it keeps desynching at the beginning.
Borg Collective wrote:
Negotiation is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. You will be assimilated.
Player (160)
Did you read "(Controller 1 only, Raw Data unchecked, no MemPak or RumblePak)"?
Former player
Ok, I unchecked Raw Data, but now whenever I load the rom it freezes Mupen and I'm not able to open the movie file.
Borg Collective wrote:
Negotiation is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. You will be assimilated.
Former player
Not as [!] as it would lead you to believe then? Works for me, neat run. Expected the game to be a lot worse overall, but I guess TASing it makes it look a lot better than it really is.
Former player
This game is pretty bad normally, but that was pretty neat like AnotherGamer said. Gets a Yes from me. Edit: I liked that thing in the Goro fight.
Working on: Command and Conquer PSX Nod Campaign
I don't know much about the game, but I was entertained. Ergo: Yes!
Former player
Not bad at all. Going to go ahead and vote yes on this, though I'll admit that I would have liked to see more fatalities.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Former player
Well, someone could do a Quan Chi run and you'd get to see more Fatalities. The thing is you'd be stuck fighting with his same moves and combos the whole time. Also we don't need 5,000 MK movies either.
Working on: Command and Conquer PSX Nod Campaign
Twisted_Eye
He/Him
Active player (332)
I definitely enjoyed this, and I think I saw a couple glitched fatalies, eh? I have absolutely no knowledge of this game at all, but I can tell you did some things that you weren't expected to, hehe. That second Goro fight was amazing. Yes vote here.
Uppercut into spik.... PSYCHE! yes vote.
Experienced player (612)
It doesn't get any better this. Those were some powerful combos as well as a lot of variety so great job in that department. It's nice that you decided to do that trick to move all the levels around so you could do stage fatalities, that was awesome and quick. Everything seemed to be perfectly placed throughout the run (The way you do certain combos and the way you ended some rounds and stuff like that). Definitely a yes vote, great job from you Xyphys.
Former player
Twisted Eye wrote:
I think I saw a couple glitched fatalies, eh?
Nope, everything went according to plan. The best part of the whole run, of course, is when Liu Kang's head perfectly finds its way to the camera and leaves a mark. MK4 is the convergence point of all coincidences!
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Voting yes! Looks like a solid good run, especially when it comes to combos :)
Active player (432)
I liked the run too. Was entertained, voted yes.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Player (160)
Thanks for all the positive reactions. There is only one real glitch and that is the missed stage fatality, but I didn't have to do anything special for it. Other things that are a bit strange are: opponent Raiden running backwards in the fight against Sub-Zero and Raiden's Torpedo Dive in the fight against Sonya.
Player (147)
OMG !!! O_O This game is really bad...But your TAS makes me look with other eyes for this game...Great Job...very nice... I liked the infinite combo in Goro... a Great YES... =)
Definite yes: Fast, entertaining, over-the-top combos and at least one misfired fatality. Fits in perfectly with all the other MK runs submitted!
"Big-endian guys drive like THIS, and little-endian guys drive like ISTH!"
Hahaha, this is awesome. Here it is for those without the ROM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJoxggnZ1bw
OMFG, I'm laughing so hard now. This game is so terrible, that you make a mockery out of it! Voting Yes, and I will definitely keep the AVI. Thanks so much for the youtube video too antd.
<agill> banana banana banana terracotta pie! <Shinryuu> ho-la terracotta barba-ra anal-o~
Former player
nicely done, voting yes.
Borg Collective wrote:
Player (88)
great job Xyphys, this run is awesome. Voting yes.
They're off to find the hero of the day...
Player (70)
definite yes vote, this is the best MK video yet. (that youtube link was a good idea, N64 emulation is a pain in the ass) the people saying this game is terrible need to check themselves into a clinic though..
Former player
I am not a big fan of MK4... though i liked the run pretty much and your nickname looks like mine... I voted yes...
Not dead yet... still very busy... damn...
Joe
MK games definitely seem to deliver in entertainment these days, no? A great variety of moves and standing around is kept to a minimum. Yes vote