Submission Text Full Submission Page
Where's Waldo done in 2 minutes 27 seconds. This speedrun was done because there was no other speedrun for Where's Waldo. This run sets a record to beat.
This is done on FCEU v0.98.15
  • Manipulates luck
  • Played on hardest level
  • Done in fastest time possible
Where's Waldo is a simple game on Practice mode, but you can easily get frustrated on it. Poor timing is used in the programming, making you wait about 5 seconds before each level sometimes. The Subway Level requires extreme logic on hard mode, where if the picture of the wizard touches your arrow, the time limit rapidly decreases. The last level of the game is a slot mackine, where you have to matck 3 Waldos(Waldi?) to beat the level. The levels are, in order: Train Station, Forest, The Cave, The Fairground, The City, The Subway, the castle, and the moon.
Making this movie was extremely hard. I gave up twice, pressed the buttons at the wrong time a ton, got swallowed by wizard even more, and did a TON of sweeping. On the city level, I sweep to make the subway level easier. On the Subway level, I backtrack to manipulate the wizard to go to the space I want him to go to. Please enjoy. This took me a month.

Truncated: Hello, and welcome. There is a faster movie of this game up at YouTube. That being said, this game is not at all suitable for TASing (which it appears you need to read up on). This site accepts movies made with rerecords only.
For these reasons, this run is rejected.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1414: Goldude's NES Where's Waldo in 02:27.47
Former player
What's with the rerecord count? You didn't use any rerecords at all?
Nope. No rerecords. I started from scratch everytime.
Senior Moderator
Why?
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Because everytime I gave up I deleted the movie.
Former player
Ugh. No vote for one million reasons: This is not a "look what I did without rerecords!" site. No. Each level was done pretty poorly, including the city. No. The game is really terrible. No. This could have seemingly been ended at a better time. No. That being said: No.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Former player
Sorry, this site requires you to use brains. Better luck next time.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Goldude, the rules of the site encourage you to use rerecording tools in order to make the movie as close to perfection as possible. Did you use any slowdown or frame advance, or were you just playing the run as a console speedrunner would?
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Senior Moderator
This could have taken you 30 minutes instead of 30 days if you were patient enough (what irony) to use rerecords. It would also have saved a couple of seconds as well. But that won't help anyway, since Where's Waldo sucks and will never be accepted here just for that reason.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Frame by frame. Plus do NOT be harsh to me. It's my first time submitting.
Senior Moderator
Well, just read the FAQ next time then. Especially the Guidelines.
Warp wrote:
Former player
I suggest that you read the FAQs here and here if you haven't already.
Former player
Goldude wrote:
Frame by frame. Plus do NOT be harsh to me. It's my first time submitting.
Maybe if you understood the main purpose of the site and picked a game that people wouldn't fall asleep watching we wouldn't be.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Goldude, in the future, I suggest you also use rerecords - you'll save yourself a lot of time and frustration. I can't imagine having the patience to finish a run if holding the wrong buttons when frame advancing meant I had to start all over. You've obvoiusly got patience! Once you are used to rerecords, you might want to try a longer game that is a bit more involved. There's been one other submission of Where's Waldo, and even when fully optimized, it's not a very fun game to watch. Everyone else: Quit being jackasses. There's a difference between pointing out a better way to do something and ridicule.
Experienced player (527)
At least he still managed to beat the previous run (which did use re-records) by 2 seconds ... But this game doesn't have much potential for runs, since most of it is either Waldo walking between levels (no action) or the player finding him instantly (too obvious) ... from what I remember anyway, since I only watched the old one (I'm not at home right now).
Former player
JXQ wrote:
Everyone else: Quit being jackasses. There's a difference between pointing out a better way to do something and ridicule.
I'd go as far to say that everyone aside from AnotherGamer was stern but just, rather than being jackasses. Generalizations are what make the internet a sad place, man.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Zurreco, if it doesn't apply to you, then don't take offense. Lisa: Dad, you can't judge a place before you've been there! Bart: Yeah, that's what people in Russia do!
Former player
JXQ wrote:
Zurreco, if it doesn't apply to you, then don't take offense.
Ah, but when you say "everyone else," that means "everyone except the person that I just spoke to." I would fit in to that category, so it does apply to me (though incorrectly). Agree?
Skilled player (1090)
I agree entirely with JXQ. Being dickish doesn't do anyone any good. Most people fail their first attempt, Goldude, don't let it discourage you from making future runs. Hopefully you will :)
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Zurreco, I meant it to apply to you as well, mostly for "Ugh. No, for a million reasons". But you know better than I how you meant your post to come across, so if I just misinterpreted your intentions, then there's no need to take offense.
Former player
Eh. That was aimed more at the game than the run, though the run was pretty bad. Also, who on Earth would take offense at something from the internet? Seriously...
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Zurreco wrote:
JXQ is a big doody-head and also has a dumb name
:'(