• - Plays on Hard difficulty (hardest available)
  • - Aims for fastest time
  • - Takes damage to save time
  • - Manipulates luck
This is my improvement of Castle of Illusion. Although this version differs in cathegory from the previous one, it's my intention that it causes obsoletion of the old movie. This one takes damage, while the other was said to not take damage (even though there was a "hidden" damage). I chose to take damage because it indirectly enables for some shortcuts or overall faster looking routes.
The total difference is 2841 frames (aproximately 47.35 seconds), but it inserts last input a little later than really needed to finish the game. This is done to make the total avi length a little smaller (at the end of the movie, mickey stands on where he must be to release the power of the crystals).
A big part of the improvement was possible by using luck manipulation on the clown boss and the hammer boss (on last level). This hadn't been done on the other version because it was very old and terrible and full of shame!

Mickey's movement

Jumping

Jumping increases the maximum possible horizontal velocity. This applies to when mickey is already moving at his maximum walking speed. I'm really not sure about the optimal differences when walking speed is below it's maximum value, but it seems that accelerating on the ground is faster than in the air. A memory watch tool would help optimize this part, but I believe what I did isn't too far from optimal. The height of the jump is not important, as long as mickey stands on the ground as little as possible (1 frame).

Ducking

Ducking stops horizontal speed

Extending the jump

By holding down the jump button during the maximum height value of the jump, mickey falls slower. Only applicable to the tallest jump possible, can't do it on smaller jumps.

Reaching a pixel further

During the ascending portion of the jumping animation, mickey is effectively moved 1 pixel forward, and then moved 1 pixel back after the ascending animation is done. This is not abusable to acumulate pixels forward, but it allows to activate triggers 1 frame earlier during jumps (exit doors, swinging vines, moving cubes, etc).

Unbalanced animation on flat surface

Can be activated on various ways, most of them by alternating directions every other frame. One easy way is to tap "down" 3 times, 1 frame intervals.

Input display animation

This was my first attempt at animating the buttons on the input display. I had never heard of anything quite like it, but the folks at the IRC channel told me that JXQ beat me to it. I'm not sure if what he did is similar in any way to what I did here, but I tried to not overdo it. The animations are present between screens (not during the level) and just on the first and last levels. The animations were made using Maximus' wonderful .NET TAS Editor. Yes, by hand. Frame by frame, then copy paste, remove frames, etc etc. They told me JXQ made a program for that, which is cool. But I did it old style. Caveman style.
I wanna thank myself for improving this game and I hope someone gets rid of that old XVID avi please!

Truncated: Accepted as an improvement to the shameful predecessor. Good job!

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1421: nesrocks's Genesis Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion in 18:23.45
Twisted_Eye
He/Him
Active player (332)
I like this game, I enjoy your improvement, and I liked watching the input display animations. I like it when people put extra effort into putting that extra entertainment into their runs.
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
I noticed that input animation inbetween levels and I don't see any reason why this can't obselete the old movie, the leaf level seemed noticably improved from last time.
Emulator Coder, Former player
Voting yes simply because this is the greatest comment every supplied with a movie summary
FODA wrote:
This hadn't been done on the other version because it was very old and terrible and full of shame!
That, and because the movie's well done ;)
jaysmad
Other
Experienced player (834)
Nice run and good improvement. I liked the input at the beginning, the download type of input, but its easy to make. The ones at the end though, were amazing. Yes plz ^^
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
FODA, the best example I've done of input-dancing is in the latest Super Mario World run with Fabian. I also did this "caveman-style" :) (most of it was done during normal play, but hex-editing was required for some of the extra buttons) I have written a (very buggy and not-close-to-finished) program for more complicated input display patterns, but I haven't used it in a TAS yet. The results are much less cool than I thought they would be, so I'm not sure if I will be taking the time to do it or not. I've only seen the first half of this run so far, I'll watch the other half later today. I really like the boss music.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Player (147)
Nice improvement !!! Loved the Input Display animations !!! a YES vote !!! /o/ I hope to see more of these animations on Input Display in another movies... =)
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
Haven't watched it yet, will do this evening, but this has me wondering: >A memory watch tool would help optimize this part, ... Why didn't you use the one that Gens has then? ------ Also, this submission doesn't show up on the recent changes page. It looks like if it has been flagged as minor edit. I suggest that this shouldn't be possible for New pages, or minor edits merged with New page creations.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
Truncated wrote:
Haven't watched it yet, will do this evening, but this has me wondering: >A memory watch tool would help optimize this part, ... Why didn't you use the one that Gens has then? ------ Also, this submission doesn't show up on the recent changes page. It looks like if it has been flagged as minor edit. I suggest that this shouldn't be possible for New pages, or minor edits merged with New page creations.
ohh oops I didn't realize the new version had it O_o doesn't matter much anyway. I'll research it and see if there's anything that would improve the movie. btw, I've found this useless glitch: http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/3196/mickeyglitchds8.gif
Player (80)
Can you manipulate the red dragon to pop up in a better position so you could hit him earlier? Also, can you hit the fat guy boss (in the machine level) faster by bouncing vertically off him, like you did on the last hit?
ideamagnate| .seen aqfaq <nothing happens> DK64_MASTER| .seen nesvideoagent * DK64_MASTER slaps forehead
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
IdeaMagnate wrote:
Can you manipulate the red dragon to pop up in a better position so you could hit him earlier? Also, can you hit the fat guy boss (in the machine level) faster by bouncing vertically off him, like you did on the last hit?
the dragon boss isn't manipulatable. about the fat boss: bouncing vertically? i'll have to re-watch to understand what you mean. ok: when you bounce off an enemy, you can choose to bounce high (hold down the jump button) or bounce low (don't hold any button). It makes no difference. You meant that i could be in the air so i could move faster? mickey accelerates faster on the ground than the air. Maybe you (and mostly everyone here) doesn't know how that boss works: - when you're far from him, he jumps closer to you, which takes a long time to happen. - when you get close enough while you're in the ground, he smiles and tries to hit you with the hammer. that's your only chance to hit him. - if you get close to him while you're in the air he defends himself with his arm, and it's impossible to him him. - so, in order to hit him, I had to move close enough (but not too close) so he started smiling as soon as possible, and that i could hit him in as few frames as possible after he started smiling.
Active player (432)
I'll also give this submission a easy yes vote. Congratulations once again for improving a old run Mr. Azevedo Junior :)
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Player (80)
I thought you could bounce off the boss vertically and hit him on the way down, making the hits closer together. Think of a trampoline. Unfortunately it looks like his invincibility period is about 8 frames too short, so when I tried I landed inside him and died. Thanks for the explanation. It looked simple when you did it.
ideamagnate| .seen aqfaq <nothing happens> DK64_MASTER| .seen nesvideoagent * DK64_MASTER slaps forehead
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
IdeaMagnate wrote:
I thought you could bounce off the boss vertically and hit him on the way down, making the hits closer together. Think of a trampoline. Unfortunately it looks like his invincibility period is about 8 frames too short, so when I tried I landed inside him and died. Thanks for the explanation. It looked simple when you did it.
I see. Even if he wasn't invincible anymore, he'd just defend. And thanks :)
Player (61)
YES, this video is awesome! Congrats FODA!
Experienced player (612)
That was a very good run, optimized and fun to look at. Aside from being optimized, it showed quite a few entertainment factors like the animated input, those were genius and original (even though JXQ had done it before, it was quite original). I also liked how much character you gave Mickey with all the movements and in-game expressions. This is simply a yes vote.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [811] Genesis Castle of Illusion: Starring Mickey Mouse by nesrocks in 18:23.45
Active player (440)
What? Frame advance in Gens? Where?
My current project: Something mysterious (oooooh!) My username is all lower-case letters. Please get it right :(
Experienced player (822)
theenglishman wrote:
What? Frame advance in Gens? Where?
Option--> Joypads--> right side, 2/3 of the way down (on Gens 9z)
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Great watch. I liked the variety of ways that you approached the first boss, as well as the totem-pole one. Also, the bit through the tunnel with the water-rising looked great. My one complaint is probably because it's a replacement - the actual submission page says no damage is taken, whilst the comments (correctly) state that damage is taken to save time. I only noticed this upon returning to leave feedback.
I'm just some random guy. Don't let my words get you riled - I have my opinions but they're only mine.