Bimmy & Jimmy Lee at it again in Double Dragon 2, 2 player, MODE B! This movie is intended to obsolete Phil's 2 player movie. It is 30.3 seconds (1880 frames) faster and attempts to be more entertaining while aiming for the fastest possible time.

Mode B vs Mode A

I used mode b to play this run. Mode b allows the two players to damage each other. This allows for some creative shortcuts by using the flying knee attack on each other. This accounts for several seconds of improvement time. The rest comes from improved fighting strategies and death shortcuts.

Entertainment vs Speed

I attempt the fastest possible time. The conventional wisdom until now is that this would require too many flying knee attacks and would be more boring. Mode B helps prove this false. With the players attacking each other as well, there is plenty of action on the screen. Also, I do other attacks whenever it doesn't costs any frames. So this run is the best of both worlds; entertaining as possible while still completing the game as fast as possible.

Obsoletion

While it could be argued that it should be published along side the other two double dragon 2 movies, I think it should obsolete both.
a) Strategically, this is the same run as the 2-player mode a run except for the occasional shortcuts. Having both would be redundant. Also this run is faster than a mode a run, and more entertaining.
b) The one player run differed from Phil's because it aimed for fastest time and used the flying knee as much as possible. It is no longer the fastest run (it is the slowestof the 3). It is also the least entertaining. Also, this run uses the flying knee as much as the 1 player run. There is nothing that a 1 player run offers that is not represented in a 2 player mode b one.

Summary

• Uses FCEU .16 with macro & multitracking patch
  • Plays on hardest difficulty level
  • Aims for fastest possible time
  • 1 Player controls 2 characters
  • Manipulates luck
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Uses death as a shortcut

Thanks

• Phil, for his 2 player movie
  • Qbob, for his 1 player movie
  • JXQ for watching WIPs and encouraging me
  • Cardboard for informing me that Bimmy's name was unintentionaly misspelled as "Billy" in Double Dragon 1 & 2.
Enjoy.

Truncated: Accepted for publication. My recommendation after checking the old runs is that this movie obsoletes both of them: It is a faster 2-player movie not only because it uses more knees, but also more tricks and death shortcuts. The 1-player movie does not offer anything special compared to this movie, and is also a whole minute slower.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1428: adelikat's NES Double Dragon II: The Revenge in 09:21.65
Emulator Coder, Former player
And I was about to post that his name is Billy ... whodathunkit Going to watch the movie now so I can post something relevant :) EDIT: And now i'm voting yes. That looked really well done. I have to ask though, did you always try to kill everyone as fast as possible or were there some delays for more entertaining fights?
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
No entertainment vs speed trade offs were needed nor used in this run.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Senior Moderator
IMO: attacking each other helped this pathetic (for speedrunning) game be nominally entertaining. Also, having more than this one run for this game is a crime against humanity. Voting yes.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Experienced player (612)
Very good run, it's awesome to see Mode B actually being faster and helped open up more opportunities, when available, for entertainment. With that said, Yes Vote.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Level 1 Bimmy: "Beating up all these women sure takes me back..." Weird-mask-guy: "OH NO, I'M DEAD (they don't know that I'm faking it! Soon I'll reappear very slowly, and then I will crush them! I'm so clever!)" Level 2 Bimmy: "Listen brother, we can do this! First, let's throw these guys off the roof. Then, we'll follow them down. I'm jump first, then you fall down this pit and die, and then..." Jimmy: "Why don't we just jump across to the next roof? Isn't that where we'll end up anyway?" Bimmy: "You have much to learn, brother. This is why I draw the blueprints." Level 3 Boss man: "We'll all escape in this other helicopter - the one without guns mounted to the front! Uh-oh, the Bimmy Bros. have jumped on board..." Flunkie: "I know, let's jump out of the cockpit and attack them in groups of two!" Big Dumb Guy: "I'll continually open and close the main door to help!" Level 4 Big Dumb Guy: "There's only one of me this time because my friend fell to his death in the room after this one. I'm not really sure why they designed that hallway to have conveyor belts above large pits. Seems like a safety issue to me. I've put in a suggestion to move Level 5's Danger! sign to that room. It would work better there, don't you agree? But, there's always a process to go through, and of course management is dragging their feet. Oops I'm dead." Level 5 Probably-not-heterosexual-green-shorts-guy: "I'll drive this train back and forth! No way to lose! And to top it off, I've got this really awesome music to listen to!" Really gay music: *plays* Probably-not-heterosexual-green-shorts-guy: "How did they beat the train strategy? Well, I guess we'll have to fight. Now remember, groups of 2! I heard it did wonders in the helicopter level." Level 6 Bimmy: "Um..is this like, inside the train?" Jimmy: "Feel the knee bitch!! This is for killing me back in Level 2!" Level 7 Weird-mask-guy: "Now's my chance to redeem myself. I need a snazzy quote for an introduction. Hmm.. How can you win when you have no ground to stand on? Yeah! Yeah, that's perfect! Ok, time to fight!" *walks into room* "How can you win when" Bimmy: *knee* Jimmy: *knee* Weird-mask-dude: "OH NO I'M DEAD" Level 8 Shadow Bimmy: "We never got to throw our fireballs :(" Shadow Jimmy: "Don't worry Shadow Bimmy. Maybe they'll show up in another game some day, along with the hurricane kick." Shadow Bimmy: "Here's hoping, big brother!" Level 9 Boss man: "You don't like my statue? .. Well, I'll just steal this arena from .....Super Dodge Ball....!"
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Player (80)
That was a nice touch when they both flying knee'd eachother across the room. Could you also have done that in that area where you spent a bunch of time waiting for some platforms to appear?
ideamagnate| .seen aqfaq <nothing happens> DK64_MASTER| .seen nesvideoagent * DK64_MASTER slaps forehead
Skilled player (1885)
Very well done, and it was entertaining as well. I agree that this movie should obsolete the current two - mode B allows for quite some funny situation. Great job, and here's another Yes-vote. :)
You won't believe how much of that commentary went through my mind also. Voting yes for the best flying knee usage since Tony Jaa started acting.
More exciting than any other DD video, I suppose. I sometimes wonder why this series is popular.
Active player (432)
Very entertaining run. Gave me a good laugh :) First Gradius and now this. Your view on entertainment and speed is exemplary. Voted yes.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
I liked the bit with the timed dynamite... because knocking them onto the spikes isn't mean enough- you have to immolate the corpses, too! -Superfluous yes vote.
Active player (410)
Different rule = Should not beat mode A run. Why should we make an exception? We have 4 runs at Metroid and 3 of them aren't more entertaining. Why 2 runs shouldn't co-exist?
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Bisqwit wrote:
Is this an attempt of use the fallacy "because you made mistake A, you should also make mistake B"?
Player (29)
Yes vote. Bimmy Lee FTW
"The way to move out of judgment is to move into gratitude." — Neale Donald Walsch DannyLilithborne on IRC
Active player (410)
JXQ wrote:
Bisqwit wrote:
Is this an attempt of use the fallacy "because you made mistake A, you should also make mistake B"?
Imo, Rockgayman is THE fallacy.
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
Voting yes, although a request for future authors who do these genres, please don't make a statement that you made the run as fast as possible while being as entertaining as possible. Since being entertaining as possible will result in a slower movie since you'd have to let enemies come fully on screen and be forced to use more variety which will be evidently slower. I actually enjoyed the 2D platform sections more than main fighting sections. EDIT: I don't see any reason why Game A run should be kept since its generally considered a lot easier and certainly when compared it isn't as fun to watch as the Game B movie, and dammit please someone do a Super Double Dragon run.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Phil wrote:
Imo, Rockgayman is THE fallacy.
Is that the name of the train conductor boss?
Active player (410)
JXQ: Yes. And a Robot.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Derailed! (Get it?)
Active player (410)
Like I said he is a robot(Terminator).
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
LOL I have no comeback. Nicely played Phil :)
Player (84)
Nice improvement. Yes vote.
Voted yes. I always did like Double Dragon, number 3 being my favorite. Could you maybe do a 2 player of that? I know it'd be weird since each character has a different strength (Jimmy would still be beating someone up when Chin's enemy is already dead.) Still, I'd really like to see one of that. It'd be more entertaining than Chin running around 4-hit comboing everyone.
Skilled player (1670)
Excellent run, and I doubt that you could have chosen a game more gay than this. Look at frame 3658. A hell yes-vote from me. The kick-the-brother's-arse-when-there's-nothing-else-to-do style is very amusing.
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!